Thread: If Illinois legalizes marijuana, what happens to pot-sniffing dogs?

If Illinois legalizes marijuana, what happens to pot-sniffing dogs?

Really? Euthanized? WTF?

If Illinois legalizes marijuana for recreational use, law enforcement officials fear job losses for hundreds of officers — specifically, the four-legged kind.

Police agencies spend thousands of dollars and months of training to teach dogs how to sniff out and alert officers to the presence of marijuana, heroin, cocaine and other drugs. If pot use becomes legal, the dogs would likely either have to be retrained — which some handlers say is impossible or impractical — or retired.

“The biggest thing for law enforcement is, you're going to have to replace all of your dogs,” said Macon County Sheriff Howard Buffett, whose private foundation paid $2.2 million in 2016 to support K-9 units in 33 counties across Illinois. “So to me, it’s a giant step forward for drug dealers, and it’s a giant step backwards for law enforcements and the residents of the community."

In addition, there is no guarantee the dogs could be broken of their original training, contradicting the main priority for K-9 handlers.

“We do not want to subject innocent citizens or motorists who travel through Illinois ... to unlawful search and seizures. That is our main priority,” Larner said.

Replacing all of the K-9 units in the state would cost millions, which Buffett said would fall on each individual law enforcement agency.

Because many K-9s are trained not to be social so their work won’t be affected, Larner said a number of dogs would likely have to be euthanized.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local...home-top-story
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would settle for retiring the K-9 moniker and going back to using canine.

Cops are experts at killing dogs. They'd probably make a range day and bbq out of it.

Even if a few violent dogs get killed in the process it needs to happen. These dogs are for the most part trained to tear a person apart on command, unless you are talking about the beagles at the airport. The shepards are violent and might wind up killing the 3 year old next door to the handler who might adopt them so yeah, it might be better to put them down. They put down millions of dogs every year, these won't be missed...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Even if a few violent dogs get killed in the process it needs to happen. These dogs are for the most part trained to tear a person apart on command, unless you are talking about the beagles at the airport. The shepards are violent and might wind up killing the 3 year old next door to the handler who might adopt them so yeah, it might be better to put them down. They put down millions of dogs every year, these won't be missed...
    Oh, humanity.

"Keep the drugs illegal or the puppy gets it!"

Got it. Authoritarians are $#@!s.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

They could announce a program to adopt a government beast dog and fund it with the money that would normally go for the dog care.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Do you see what you have done? The government has to resort to lies of an unprecedented caliber.

Is this a .45?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    They could announce a program to adopt a government beast dog and fund it with the money that would normally go for the dog care.
    I'd take one for free. I have friends who have had ex police dogs for as long as I can remember, they have had many.
    Most of them very sweet dogs, some came with a manual. Overall, no reason to euthanise them.

Funny btw, how on the one hand, a dog like this is counted as an officer and on the other hand can be euthanised because they're surplus or too expensive to train. Eh, funny, no, $#@!ing sad actually. But hey, government is made up out of people, so what do you expect.
    "I am a bird"

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

They could always send the dogs to a state that hasn't legalized pot.

I wonder if they plan on giving them a police dog funeral?

I would give them to North Korea .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again..."
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.