Thread: Have even progressive residents in Seattle had enough? Tax revolt.

Have even progressive residents in Seattle had enough? Tax revolt.

Fury, frustration erupt over Seattle’s proposed head tax for homelessness services

Reaction to a proposed Seattle business tax for housing and homeless services jolted elected officials this week as flare-ups of opposition revealed deep frustration with the city’s handling of its homelessness crisis.

If Seattle City Council members were surprised by the reaction — including a raucous town-hall meeting in Ballard and an unexpected protest by construction workers — the response of many residents and business owners seemed to be, what took you so long?

“They’re hearing the whole story now,” said Erin Goodman, executive director of the Sodo Business Improvement Alliance, which is holding its own town hall on the tax Friday morning. “They have been listening to a very small subset for a long time and have not been listening to their actual constituents.”

Amazon announced Wednesday morning that it was pausing construction of a new downtown tower until the council votes on the $75 million-a-year tax on large companies.

Hours later, residents shouted down the four council members who sponsored the tax legislation at a 90-minute town hall at Ballard’s Trinity United Methodist Church.

Many residents expressed general empathy for people experiencing homelessness, but lashed out at the city council — especially council member Mike O’Brien, who represents Ballard — for lax financial management and failure to address the consequences of widespread, unauthorized tent camps.

O’Brien declined to comment on the meeting Thursday.

Bruce Miller, a Seattle resident since 1971, said he traditionally supported tax levies, but no longer will. “I feel like city government doesn’t understand and respect taxpayer dollars, and doesn’t take responsibility for them,” said Miller, to applause.

The crowd aggressively heckled the council, the event moderators and the occasional person who spoke in favor of the head tax, drawing rebukes. The crowd erupted in the strongest applause for speakers who demanded more cleanups of the estimated 400 unsanctioned homeless-tent camps citywide.

“Your policies and what we’re doing in this city has unleashed chaos and crime on law-abiding people,” said one speaker.

One city staffer who attended the meeting, but asked not to be named, said the anger and incivility in the room was shocking. Many council members were still reeling from the event a day later.

“That did not feel like Seattle,” the staffer said.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ness-services/

Good.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's all just bitching and moaning until someone decides to run against the elected communists and replace them.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's all just bitching and moaning until someone decides to run against the elected communists and replace them.

I'm so angry I'll never vote for them again until next election!
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I'm so angry I'll never vote for them again until next election!
    THey suck but we can't let the other side win those seats! We just need to hold our clowns responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    THey suck but we can't let the other side win those seats! We just need to hold our clowns responsible.
    Don't forget to fight the injustice!

I have not heard any good solutions,,,presented. Most are for more govt to fix too much govt.

Good ideas are practiced quietly,, (@wedobetter)

There are some Libertarians running.. for office.. But Honestly,, Seattle is becoming Washington's Portland.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Smaller Seattle head tax, with end date, floated by city council

The deal negotiated between a council member and the mayor may have the support needed to pass and avoid a veto.

The Seattle City Council appears to have a compromise on the controversial employee head tax proposal, just hours before the council is set to vote. The tax is aimed at helping the city's affordable housing and homeless crisis.

Councilmember Lorena Gonzalez says she has negotiated with Mayor Jenny Durkan and her staff on a new amendment. Gonzalez says the new terms with be $275 a head to raise roughly $50 million a year, with a sunset clause January 1, 2024.

It would only impact businesses with over $20 million a year in gross revenue.

"Mayor Durkan has been working around the clock with Councilmembers, businesses and workers to forge a path forward that protects our economy and family-wage jobs while making meaningful investments in affordable housing and homelessness services. She is encouraged by the collaboration with Councilmembers and looks forward to Council's vote this afternoon," said Stephanie Formas, spokesperson for Durkan.

It came after a tense Friday committee vote where three amendments were rejected, and the council eventually approved a proposal to tax businesses at $500 a head to raise $75 million dollars a year with no sunset.

That vote was only 5-4, and Durkan has threatened a veto under those terms.

Amazon has paused construction on two projects and says it is waiting for an outcome of the discussions.

It appears this latest amendment may have support from the four "no" votes and, perhaps, Durkan. Councilmembers Sally Bagshaw and Debora Juarez praised the work and collegial negotiations.

The spending plan for the money is still unclear and is expected to be released at the 2 p.m. council meeting when the vote is scheduled to take place.

The original bill was sponsored by four council members: Gonzalez, Teresa Mosqueda, Lisa Herbold, and Mike O'Brien. Councilmember Kshama Sawant has railed against Amazon and called for a much bigger tax.
    https://www.king5.com/article/news/l.../281-551930021
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.