Thread: Louisiana is the only state that wants to save you from your flowers

Louisiana is the only state that wants to save you from your flowers

Unlike the other 49 states, Louisiana is the only state to license florists. To obtain a “retail florist license,” which allows the owner to arrange and sell floral designs as well as cut flowers, a Louisianan must pass a test and pay more than $200 in fees.

And if one simply wants to sell cut flowers, but under no circumstances arrange them, the fee is a downright bargain at only $90.

That’s what makes the outcome of Tuesday’s vote in the Louisiana Senate Agricultural Committee so disappointing. Despite the overwhelming lack of evidence of any health or safety risks related to arranging flowers, the committee voted down a proposal to repeal the license by a vote of 6-1.

Only state Sen. Barrow Peacock, R-Shreveport, voted in support of the proposal to repeal the requirement.

In the hearing, florists testified that they felt disrespected by the prospect of ending the florist license and removing the testing requirement to arrange flowers. That’s a wrong way to look at this. Instead of looking to the government for validation, florists should see their value in being able to successfully compete in a free and open market and provide an important service to their clients.

The argument we hear repeatedly from those who are lucky enough to have an occupational license usually has something to do with protecting the health and safety of consumers. This argument often carries the day because it’s the only one legislators hear.

But there is little proof all the florist requirements are necessary to protect consumer health and welfare. And the only winners from heavy-handed occupational license requirements are those who profit by keeping competitors out of the market.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...form=hootsuite
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What would happen if, one day, everyone just refused to renew their "occupational" licenses? Oh, what a glorious world!

I could support some type of course work, testing and licensing for potential and current housewives. And annual recurrent training requirements.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Can you believe this?!?

"There are no governmental bodies that regulate the interior decorating profession in North America. This means that there are no licenses required to practice and no memberships necessary to work as an interior decorator."
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Can you believe this?!?

"There are no governmental bodies that regulate the interior decorating profession in North America. This means that there are no licenses required to practice and no memberships necessary to work as an interior decorator."
    Gays already have a monopoly so no need to regulate.

I lost a friend of mine to licenses a few years back. He got too many all at once, it was just too much for him.

Ever since, I've been lobbying to restrict licenses to those who have a license to pursue licenses.

If it saves just one life it's worth it.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I picked some fake flowers at the Dollar Tree and arranged them in some vases without a license. No one was injured, thank God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I lost a friend of mine to licenses a few years back. He got too many all at once, it was just too much for him.

Ever since, I've been lobbying to restrict licenses to those who have a license to pursue licenses.

If it saves just one life it's worth it.
    So now you're friendless? Sorry for your loss.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.