Thread: Boston.com: Is Bill Weld setting up a run for president in 2020?

Boston.com: Is Bill Weld setting up a run for president in 2020?

Is Bill Weld setting up a run for president in 2020?

In 2016, Mitt Romney said he wished the Libertarian ticket was reversed so that fellow former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld was the party’s presidential nominee, instead of Gary Johnson, the former New Mexico governor.

In 2020, Romney could get his wish.

Weld, the 2016 Libertarian vice presidential nominee and perennial political candidate, now appears to be laying the groundwork for a presidential run, according to the libertarian magazine Reason. The 72-year-old former Republican governor has been touring Libertarian state conventions, fundraising, and endorsing the party’s local candidates, such as Dan Fishman, a Johnson-Weld campaign staffer and Libertarian candidate for Massachusetts auditor.

“I’ve learned a lot since 2016,” he said Sunday. “I mean, I do blush to think of some of my early steps.”

Weld also insisted that he has long held positions on government spending, gay rights, and marijuana that departed from the Republican orthodoxy and were largely consistent with the Libertarian Party.

“I don’t think of myself as a moderate at all,” he said. “I think of myself as an extreme on both fiscal policy and social policy. It’s just a different extreme, that’s all.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's right about Trump being unfit to be president, but so is he.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

LP Weld/Ryan 2020!!!
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    LP Weld/Ryan 2020!!!
    But what about Jeb???

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    But what about Jeb Jeb!???
    Nah, I think he should run with the naked guy from the convention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Nah, I think he should run with the naked guy from the convention.
    *sends inappropriate rep comment*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    He's right about Trump being unfit to be president, but so is he.

What the hell? So he was running for president as a libertarian but saying "If you just gotta, then vote for Hillary" and "Hillary is fit?" SMH
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    What the hell? So he was running for president as a libertarian but saying "If you just gotta, then vote for Hillary" and "Hillary is fit?" SMH
    He's the Original Libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Must have failed basic maths.. or did not look at the numbers when Gary Johnson picked him.. {s kazoo .."wah wah waaah"

/threadjack
    anyone else remember when sound files could be inserted into chats? (using the {s command)
    I miss that feature

/end threadjack
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Must have failed basic maths.. or did not look at the numbers when Gary Johnson picked him.. {s kazoo .."wah wah waaah"

John$on wa$ cry$tal clear about why he cho$e Weld.

John$on wa$ cry$tal clear about why he cho$e Weld.

Well.. for Johnson he was.. crystal clear really isn't his best event though.

I kinda meant that Weld couldn't read the numbers after the LP convention.. you know, when GJ went from double digits to .. what was it, 3.2% of people polled said they'd vote for that ticket in under a month?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Well.. for Johnson he was.. crystal clear really isn't his best event though.

I kinda meant that Weld couldn't read the numbers after the LP convention.. you know, when GJ went from double digits to .. what was it, 3.2% of people polled said they'd vote for that ticket in under a month?
    Not a Weld fan here, but they got more votes for the LP than any other candidate has managed.

Worst candidates in history - Donald & Hillary

Not a Weld fan here, but they got more votes for the LP than any other candidate has managed.
    Donald and Hillary deserve full credit for that. Johnson & Weld couldn't have done it without the help of the D&R party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Donald and Hillary deserve full credit for that. Johnson & Weld couldn't have done it without the help of the D&R party.
    Of course. And even though they got a historical number of votes, they totally blew the opportunity to be a viable third party.

Gov. Weld would have to get past Adam Kokesh, and I think a lot of the LP is pretty tired of nominating milquetoast republicans who are only versed in libertarian one liners and lack a deeper understanding of libertarian ideology at this point.
    America deserves better presidential debates in 2024, and we're making it happen ourselves at Free and Equal Elections Foundation!

https://freeandequal.org/

Bill Weld the anti-gun, pro hillary Neoconservative.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Weld only has one real problem right now . I will define it for you . Nobody cares what weld is running for . He is not going to get funding and votes .
    Do something Danke