Thread: Less-Toxic Wasp Repellent

Default Less-Toxic Wasp Repellent

A few weeks ago we were leaving from church. A wasp dropped from the doorway and stung my hand. Yesterday I arrived home to find a wasp building a nest in my front doorway. Did a little research and found that 2T dish soap in a spray bottle of water would kill it. I also learned most bugs do not like mint. I added a few drops of peppermint oil to my spray. I read a couple of places that said soap would actually kill the wasps.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by euphemia; 05-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I can attest - dish soap, or the kids' bubbles, works pretty good! Carb/brake parts cleaner works excellent too, but will destroy anything it lands on (siding, paint, etc). The critters instantly assume the death pose, crossing their little legs in mid air - very impressive.

Also, a shotgun can be used to remove hornets nests - do so in the late fall (less exciting in the fall). I use a choke and point several feet away, clipping the supporting branch. (I know what you were thinking - I suppose you can make a direct hit too).

What many folks dont know, hornet's nests can be valuable, claiming up to $45-$60 on ebay. So it may be worth a shotgun shell or 2 to retrieve the nest intact.

Lastly, dont make the same mistake I did, leaving the hornets nest outside (my wife refused to let me bring the bagged nest in the house - can you believe it?). I did not realize it, but raccoons also value hornets nests, and will tear it to pieces looking for the larva. So needless to say, my hornets nest was distributed all over my yard by a raccoon - BTW, the shotgun also works well on raccoons too. Never tried soapy water or carb cleaner on the raccoons...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    A few weeks ago we were leaving from church. A wasp dropped from the doorway and stung my hand. Yesterday I arrived home to find a wasp building a nest in my front doorway. Did a little research and found that 2T dish soap in a spray bottle of water would kill it. I also learned most bugs do not like mint. I added a few drops of peppermint oil to my spray. I read a couple of places that said soap would actually kill the wasps.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Yes they hate peppermints and other essential oils. If you landscape with the different mints it also helps.

Peppermint
    lemon balm *melissa officinalis*
    Spearmint
    Eucalyptus
    Citronella

Diatomaceous Earth is great in a spray bottle too. It doesn't kill them instantly but within a few days you'll notice less and less of them.

You can also take 32 oz. plastic bottles and make them into wasp traps.

Cut the bottle to the shoulder of the bottle and turn it upside down, you can tape it in place. Poke holes on each side and put string through to make it where it can hang from something.

Fill the bottle with 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water, a couple TBSP's of jam or jelly and 2 TBSPs of dish soap. It should look something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Also, a shotgun can be used to remove hornets nests - do so in the late fall (less exciting in the fall). I use a choke and point several feet away, clipping the supporting branch. (I know what you were thinking - I suppose you can make a direct hit too).
    Probably overkill in this case. There were two separate beginnings of nests, and they were right in our front doorway.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Probably overkill in this case. There were two separate beginnings of nests, and they were right in our front doorway.
    We have the same thing, every year. Those paper wasps set up camp on the porch, eves, etc. Your soap solution is perfect for that. A red flashlight at night with the spray bottle, and problem is solved.

...but, if you get those hornets - cash money! Or paypal/money order...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"