Thread: Fight grows over who owns real estate drowned by climate change

Fight grows over who owns real estate drowned by climate change

This isn't a climate change debate article, but it does present an interesting discussion. If you once owned land that is now underwater can someone be trespassing in a boat?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...climate-change

One April morning in 2016, Daryl Carpenter, a charter boat captain out of Grand Isle, La., took some clients to catch redfish on a marsh pond that didn’t use to exist. Coastal erosion and rising seas are submerging a football field’s worth of Louisiana land every hour, creating and expanding ponds and lakes such as the one onto which Carpenter had piloted his 24-foot vessel.

Suddenly, another boat pulled up beside Carpenter’s. “You’re trespassing,” the other driver declared, before chasing him and his clients down the bayou. The sheriff’s office later threatened to arrest Carpenter if he ever returned to the pond. There was just one problem: Under Louisiana state law, any waterways that are accessible by boat are supposed to be public property, argued Carpenter—even what was previously unnavigable swampland.

Carpenter sued the sheriff, as well as Castex Energy Inc., which owns the property around the pond, for interfering with his business. A district court decided against him in March, noting that an earlier ruling found that the territory was unnavigable swampland when the state sold it into private ownership in the 1800s. Carpenter is appealing that ruling.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like he is going to lose . He must be charging too much for charter fishing if he has money to waste on lawyers . So not only is he likely to lose , now everyone knows he charges too much .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Sounds like he is going to lose . He must be charging too much for charter fishing if he has money to waste on lawyers . So not only is he likely to lose , now everyone knows he charges too much .
    I do like the way you think.

In Lousiana, he will probably lose. If that was Michigan, he'd probably win.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If that was Michigan, he'd probably win.
    In Michigan it will cost a 60k fight with the state to install a $15k wind generator..

In Michigan they will spend $100 to keep someone from making $1.

Dusted my heels.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    In Michigan it will cost a 60k fight with the state to install a $15k wind generator..

Dusted my heels.
    they're very diligent about keeping all water public was my whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    This isn't a climate change debate article, but it does present an interesting discussion. If you once owned land that is now underwater can someone be trespassing in a boat?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...climate-change
    Sounds to me like a maintenance issue. Put up some levies before your land goes so far under water.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Dusted my heels.
    In NJ, they use taxpayer money to install wind turbines on the wrong side of a building rooftop, then spend more taxpayer money to add motors to them and turn them with powerline electricity since the wind is blocked from their install point -- all as an example of how good green energy is.

As to those interested in the LA coastline being lost, then you might consider checking out this documentary if you see it coming to your area, or when finally goes online.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2877296/
    Rodents of Unusual Size (2017)
    Hard headed Louisiana fisherman Thomas Gonzales doesn't know what will hit him next. After decades of hurricanes and oil spills he faces a new threat - hordes of monstrous 20 pound swamp rats. Known as 'nutria', these invasive South American rodents breed faster than the roving squads of hunters can control them. And with their orange teeth and voracious appetite they are eating up the coastal wetlands that protects Thomas and his town of Delacroix Island from hurricanes. But the people who have lived here for generations are not the type of folks who will give up without a fight. Thomas and a pack of lively bounty hunters are hellbent on saving Louisiana before it dissolves beneath their feet. It is man vs. rodent. May the best mammal win.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    In NJ, they use taxpayer money to install wind turbines on the wrong side of a building rooftop, then spend more taxpayer money to add motors to them and turn them with powerline electricity since the wind is blocked from their install point -- all as an example of how good green energy is.

As to those interested in the LA coastline being lost, then you might consider checking out this documentary if you see it coming to your area, or when finally goes online.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2877296/
    And a Whole county in Oregon gets paid dividends every year ,, from the wind Farms..

I wanted one for my own farm and ran into the roadblock. What I posted was the result...
    I did find one installer who would do Zoning and permitting fight,, as a cost of installation... but is is a serious court battle every time.

I was in a high wind area and it would have been a benefit at $15K.. But not at $100k.

and that is just one thing.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And a Whole county in Oregon gets paid dividends every year ,, from the wind Farms..

I wanted one for my own farm and ran into the roadblock. What I posted was the result...
    I did find one installer who would do Zoning and permitting fight,, as a cost of installation... but is is a serious court battle every time.
    I was in a high wind area and it would have been a benefit at $15K.. But not at $100k.
    and that is just one thing.
    yeah, I wanted one when we lived on a carib island with an average windspeed of 20kph. But the power company on the island would disconnect you if you dared install wind or solar power.