Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of the single family home

Exclamation The end of the single family home

Just another salvo in the war to move us all into government approved, "green" stack-a-prole units, eating soylent protein glop.

The single-family house: An American icon faces an uncertain future

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ure/514655002/

Rick Hampson, USA TODAY Published 12:15 p.m. ET April 25, 2018 | Updated 3:18 p.m. ET April 25, 2018

“A man is not a whole and complete man," Walt Whitman claimed in 1856, "unless he owns a house and the ground it stands on.’’ In a little more than a century, the single-family house helped make America something new in the world: a nation of suburban homeowners.

Cape or ranch, colonial or contemporary, the house — more even than the car, the skyscraper or the Hollywood movie — is the American idol.

But now, demographic, political and meteorological changes are calling the future of the single-family house into question.

Its critics say that the house is too sprawling in a time of climate change, too expensive in a time of economic inequality and just too boring for many city-dwelling Millennials; that more of us should live closer together, in neighborhoods near mass transit, with less need to drive and more chance to interact.

Its defenders say the single-family house is what most people want, if not what professional planners, social reformers and academics — the elites! — want for them. And they say that construction of new houses on empty land at the edge of the metropolis offers working- and middle-class people the best shot at the American dream.

But the image of the house is clouded by Houston’s experience with Harvey; by the need in California and elsewhere to both cut greenhouse gas emissions and build more housing; and by the Millennial generation’s looming decision about where to settle.

In Houston, famed for its rapid construction of relatively affordable, market-rate single-family houses, the ravages of Hurricane Harvey have raised questions about the wisdom of paving so much of the floodplain and drainage areas.
    In California, where single-family house prices are drifting beyond the reach of the middle class, a proposed law would promote multi-family housing and discourage sprawl, effectively declaring YIMBY — yes in my backyard.
    Across the nation, members of the Millennial generation, the largest in history, face two questions: Do you want a single-family house? And can you afford one?

House, sweet house
    If Whitman was the poet of the single-family house, its polemicist is Joel Kotkin, a former East Coast newspaperman who now lives and teaches college in suburban Southern California. Three years ago, he founded a Houston-based think tank, the Center for Opportunity Urbanism, to extol the low-regulation, low-tax school of real estate development.

He says the future of American cities can be summed up in five letters: T-e-x-a-s. Last year Houston and Dallas were No. 1 and 2 nationally in single-family building permits, with about 35,000 each; the next closest metro was Atlanta, at 25,000.

Nationally, single-family home construction, eclipsed by multi-family starts after the housing market crash a decade ago, regained primacy two years ago. Single-family home builders’ confidence hasn’t been as consistently high since 2005. Home ownership has stabilized around 64%.

Kotkin says that although people love its space, privacy and convenience, the house is under attack as “an environmental hazard’’ by those who’d take us back, he says sarcastically, to ‘’the good old days when we were herded together in tenements.’’ He calls renters unable to afford a house “the new serf class.’’

Kotkin and his COU colleagues disdain many of the building and land-use rules that, according to the National Association of Home Builders, add $80,000 to the average house price. And he hates measures such as “urban containment boundaries,’’ like one that seeks to limit sprawl outside Portland, Ore.

He likes sprawl, which he says signifies a healthy housing market. Construction of houses on empty, relatively cheap land at the edge of a metro area — “greenfield’’ development of forests, prairie, desert and farmland — keeps down prices throughout the rest of the metro market.

Only sprawl, he says, can deliver the American dream.

Flooded homes are shown near Lake Houston fin the aftermath
    Flooded homes are shown near Lake Houston fin the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. (Photo: Win McNamee, Getty Images)

Harvey and the house
    Houston is the nation’s largest city with no municipal zoning. The county in which it sits has logged the nation’s highest population growth in eight of the past nine years. The metro motto could be, “When in doubt, build.’’

As a result, much of greater Houston — an area three times the size of greater London with half the population — has been paved over, compromising the region’s capacity to absorb storm rain and floodwater.

Houstonians, Chronicle columnist Lisa Falkenberg wrote after Harvey, “have come to tolerate and even expect … policies that favor developer profits over public safety.’’ An installment in a Chronicle series on the flooding said Houston’s laissez-faire development formula “suddenly had a death toll in the dozens and a price tag in the billions." Harvey, it concluded, “was Houston’s reckoning.’’

And maybe not just Houston’s.

Another columnist, Mike Snyder, wrote that “developers all over the country are rethinking the nature of suburban development with an eye toward greater density and environmental sustainability.’’ Even Minneapolis is thinking about allowing “fourplexes’’ in areas zoned single-family residential.

Kotkin, however, says “a wave of anti-suburban jihadism’’ sparked by Harvey would scapegoat developers, even though the epic rains would have created a disaster regardless of how Houston was developed, and even though the areas with the most sprawl did not suffer the worst flooding.

It seems unlikely Houston will throw its housing formula out with the floodwater. It’s also unlikely that formula will go unchanged. Already, the city and county have raised mandatory house elevations and required more homes to have flood insurance, which will make new ones more expensive.

“This is an inflection point for Houston,’’ says Bill Fulton, director of Rice University’s Kinder Institute for Urban Research. “In the future, home construction will still be less expensive here than on the coasts. But it will be more expensive than it used to be.’’

More: The cost of Harvey recovery will be staggering, lawmakers learn

Facebook
    Twitter
    Google+
    LinkedIn
    Most expensive housing market in every state
    Fullscreen
    Alabama Most expensive housing market: Shelby County Median home price: $213,550 Median mortgage payment: $863 Median household income: $72,310 (State: $46,257) Pct. homes valued $1,000,000+: 0.8% Rivers Langley, Wikimedia Commons
    My old California home
    Once, the single-family house was as much a symbol of California as the golden bear. But its precarious status these days is illustrated by state Senate Bill 827, sponsored by a senator from San Francisco named Scott Wiener.

Wiener’s bill is an aggressive attempt to address two problems: high housing prices and vehicular air pollution. The measure would override local zoning to allow developers to erect taller and larger housing structures near mass-transit stations and stops. Buildings four to eight stories high could be constructed in neighborhoods zoned single-family residential, and such houses could be torn down and replaced with several smaller structures or one larger one.

The bill is notable for its opposition — a coalition of neighborhood preservationists, civil rights groups and environmentalists, who feel it’s too heavy-handed.

Wiener says he’s open to changes in the bill. But Kotkin is among those who finds the whole idea misguided; he argues that new, denser housing will inevitably be more expensive than what it replaces.

To Kotkin, SB 827 is another example of state officials’ tendency to put other priorities ahead of middle-class housing aspirations.

The governor, Jerry Brown, is firmly in the opposing camp. In 2015 he spoke in favor of using “the coercive power of government’’ to fight sprawl. And last year, referring to climate change, Brown said, “People still don’t get it. It’s not just a light rinse. We need a total, I might say, brainwashing.’’

The Millennial moment
    A few years ago, many planners and developers said Millennials were different. They preferred dense, walkable, urban neighborhoods to the suburbs in which they grew up and accepted less living space as part of the bargain.

But even then, surveys showed that while Millennials might be happy apartment dwellers at the moment, in the future they saw themselves in a suburban house — especially if they had kids.

And now, with the median age of the Millennial generation around 28 — two years from the traditionally median age of first-time home buyers — the problem is supply and price.

This year, work will start on about 900,000 houses. But the projected demand for such homes is between 1.2 and 1.3 million, according to the homebuilders association.

And fewer of those built are starter models. From 2002 to 2009, 44% of new single-family homes were $200,000 or less. Last year that ratio was 13%.

In a survey by Mayflower movers, two in five 18-to-35-year-olds said they’d moved to a city with no intention to settle there but to move after a period of time, often to find more affordable housing. The term for such vagabonds: “vacation movers.’’

GTY 163158777
    A worker builds a new home at the Pulte Homes Fireside at Norterra-Skyline housing development in Phoenix. (Photo: Justin Sullivan, Getty Images)

Last of the builders
    By the start of the 20th century, the single-family house —surrounded by a yard and sitting on a street with other such houses — had replaced the rowhouse as the home to which most Americans aspired. Builders like Bill Pulte made that hope a reality.

When World War II ended, little housing of any type had been built since the early 1930s. Veterans were sleeping in Quonset huts and converted trolleys, on relatives’ couches and fire escapes. By 1947, 6 million families were living doubled up.

Pulte started building in 1950, the summer after he graduated from high school, with a bungalow on the outskirts of Detroit.

Inspired by Levitt, who was building thousands of houses at Levittown on Long Island, and by Henry Ford, the master of assembly line production, Pulte built more and larger houses. He developed his first subdivision in 1959. By 1995, Pulte was the nation’s largest homebuilder.

When Pulte died last month at 85, he was among the last living members of the generation of builders who created the single-family suburb. He’d also lived long enough to see their creation called into question.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We will, we will pack you!
    Is there any relation to the immigration levels?

Its critics say that the house is too sprawling in a time of climate change, too expensive in a time of economic inequality and just too boring for many city-dwelling Millennials;
    $#@! city-dwellers!

Consider the entire city of houston is built on what was once a buffalo wallow , I am OK if they all move there .
    Do something Danke

There is room to create more rural communities. Unfortunately, the government owns it all.

Single family homes are to be frowned upon as wasteful and selfish, except for inner party members.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Single family homes are to be frowned upon as wasteful and selfish, except for inner party members.
    Anything above 300 sqft sounds frivolous for the peasants.

It's for the best, comrade.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Send the illegals back home, single-family homes will become affordable and plentiful once more.

According to the US Census, there are currently 91 million "single unit" housing structures. If you want to have one for every household in the US (119 million- assuming they want one) you need to more than double that -1.3 times more- and find enough land to build them on. https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...united-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    According to the US Census, there are currently 91 million "single unit" housing structures. If you want to have one for every household in the US (119 million- assuming they want one) you need to more than double that -1.3 times more- and find enough land to build them on. https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...united-states/
    Burn the cities and their inhabitants.....Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Burn the cities and their inhabitants.....Problem solved.

I don't even know what Paid Boy Zip is talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

It's much easier to control people when they're not spread out. UN Agenda 21 calls for "green living" by placing people on top of each other rather than having people spread out. One result is that it's easier to tax a bunch of people in close proximity.

I'm not even saying this is some diabolical scheme, but certain factors come together that result in this force of history. Combine that with ideologues and people looking to take your money, and you have problems. Government $#@!s up about everything it touches.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Built by illegal aliens, for illegal aliens who can't afford to pay for them.

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2008/12/21/business/21admin.600.jpg[/IMG]

President Trump's solution? Give them amnesty, so you can't call them illegal aliens anymore.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 04-27-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

$#@! city-dwellers!
    Except a lot of us live in the city.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Except a lot of us live in the city.
    By now you should certainly know better.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Related, the vision of Jefferson and Frank Lloyd Wright...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...k-Lloyd-Wright
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Get Ready for Your Backyard Home

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Actually been thinking on this. We have a small half acre lot that we own next to our house. To get it we had to evict a couple ne'er do wells in a trailer and have it hauled off. So on this lot there is a septic tank. There is a well. There is an electric pole that power can be ran off of.
    I'm thinking two tiny homes, just large enough for two people each, could be put in and share the septic. The original trailer had two baths.
    I just need to have some time to sit a spell and cogitate on cost. Aside from the permitting fees, inspections, etc. I could build them ground up on my own. THAT experience and tools I have. So it would only be materials cost. I have a friend that is an licensed electrician that I help time to time that would sign off on the work I did on that.
    We are close enough to town yet far enough out that it would be compelling to some.
    I think we could bring in around $650 to $800 per unit.
    The little lady has about 4 yrs. to retirement, although she does real estate and will never totally give that up, and I About 12. Any handyman work I would be able to do so there's no cost there. I think we could have them paid off in 5-6 yrs, profit after that, and be able to make a nice little retirement supplement.
    Gonna have to cogitate.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 10-04-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Actually been thinking on this. We have a small half acre lot that we own next to our house. To get it we had to evict a couple ne'er do wells in a trailer and have it hauled off. So on this lot there is a septic tank. There is a well. There is an electric pole that power can be ran off of.
    I'm thinking two tiny homes, just large enough for two people each, could be put in and share the septic. The original trailer had two baths.
    I just need to have some time to sit a spell and cogitate on cost. Aside from the permitting fees, inspections, etc. I could build them ground up on my own. THAT experience and tools I have. So it would only be materials cost. I have a friend that is an licensed electrician that I help time to time that would sign off on the work I did on that.
    We are close enough to town yet far enough out that it would be compelling to some.
    I think we could bring in around $650 to $800 per unit.
    The little lady has about 4 yrs. to retirement, although she does real estate and will never totally give that up, and I About 12. Any handyman work I would be able to do so there's no cost there. I think we could have them paid off in 5-6 yrs, profit after that, and be able to make a nice little retirement supplement.
    Gonna have to cogitate.
    Location, location, location...

Location, location, location...
    My missus is a reality agent. It's a great spot. 10 mins. to down town. But, nestled in woods. Because of this thread I started looking at in town rent at apartments.

As of April 2019, average rent for an apartment in Hickory, NC is $968 which is a 16.12% increase from last year when the average rent was $812 , and a 15.5% increase from last month when the average rent was $818.

One bedroom apartments in Hickory rent for $598 a month on average (a 24.08% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $1006 (a 16.5% increase from last year).
    So one bedrooms are down. Two bedrooms are up.

But, a tiny home wouldn't be an one bedroom apartment. It would be ones own private living space. No noise aside, above or below. Quick commute. Having looked at this I think $800- $850 a month would work.

Still more cogitating to do.

So what is the main gripe here that people don't want to live in apartments close to work that are smaller, probably require less energy, and save on the commute?

It might be interesting to consider New York City which I think is mostly apartments or town houses, but people are getting discouraged by the costs. I'm not sure if the solution is build more higher apartments.

Another issue here might be that typically a community of houses often has access to what is seen as a better school system. People might even live at the edge of their means just because they want their kids to succeed. I'm thinking of this in a broad sense because I don't know what Houston city schools are like versus urban, but it seems to generally be how it plays out.

Maybe this American Dream is about more than just the spacious home with property, but also access to the community and services that come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    It might be interesting to consider New York City which I think is mostly apartments or town houses, but people are getting discouraged by the costs. I'm not sure if the solution is build more higher apartments.
    Get rid of rent controls, allow a free market. Eliminate zoning laws. Lower property taxes.

The cost of rent would drop over night if that happened.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

An article very closely related to this subject about how urban planners want to make life worse for everyone, especially as it relates to transportation issues:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/1...ur-life-worse/
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Maybe this American Dream is about more than just the spacious home with property, but also access to the community and services that come with it.
    I think that not everybody dreams about the same thing. And we all make compromises. I mean, when I was younger I just wanted cheap, but that meant a long drive to work. My income rose, so I moved closer to work which was more expensive. Then I wanted a yard, then I wanted to ditch the neighbors, now I am hoping for something without stairs and maybe some water. I don't shop much, so I don't mind driving an hour once a month. And I think there's a stronger sense of community in rural 'Merica than in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Just another salvo in the war to move us all into government approved, "green" stack-a-prole units, eating soylent protein glop.
    https://twitter.com/ConceptualJames/...70393695506432
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Here's a solution we should all support. Just end single-family zoning.

Let more people use more land to build, sell, buy, rent, and live in duplexes and condos, while at the same time those who want to continue to use land to build, sell, buy, and rent single-family homes can do that.

Doing this would not constitute any kind of a war on single-family homes or property ownership.

Whatever the question is, the answer is more freedom.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Its critics say that the house is too sprawling in a time of climate change,...
    There is no such thing as "climate change."

$#@! city-dwellers!

This.

$#@! city-dwellers!
    What, you don't want to burn four gallons of diesel fuel a day, carbon and sulfur and all, commuting to your own farm from a regional stack-a-prole high rise which is supposed to save you money on utilities but costs more all summer because heat rises from the apartment below and the windows don't open?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    What, you don't want to burn four gallons of diesel fuel a day, carbon and sulfur and all, commuting to your own farm from a regional stack-a-prole high rise which is supposed to save you money on utilities but costs more all summer because heat rises from the apartment below and the windows don't open?
    It is best to reside in a hole in the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast