Federal immigration authorities will no longer be able to carry out arrests in New York State facilities unless they have a warrant.
On Wednesday afternoon, Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a cease and desist letter to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in which he threatened to take legal action against the agency if it does not stop its “reckless and unconstitutional practices” in immigrant communities.
And he signed an executive order to modify executive order #170—which bans state agencies and officers from asking about an individual’s immigration status unless mandated by law—that prohibits ICE arrests in state facilities without a warrant.
“The reckless and unconstitutional practices ICE is deploying in our communities violate everything we believe in New York and are an assault on our democracy,” Cuomo said in a statement. “I demand ICE immediately cease and desist this pattern of conduct, and if they fail to do so, I will pursue all available legal recourse and commit to doing everything in my power to protect the rights and safety of all New Yorkers.”

More at: http://observer.com/2018/04/new-york...ation-arrests/