Thread: R.I.P Bob Dorough, "Schoolhouse Rock" composer

R.I.P Bob Dorough, "Schoolhouse Rock" composer

Loved that program. R.I.P. One of the reasons I'm a grammar nerd, and part time translator/teacher/tutor toady. h/t angela for giving me the story via FB

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-94/545879002/
    Go ahead, Generation X and Millennials, pour one out for Bob Dorough. The musician and composer, 94, died Monday of natural causes at his home in Mount Bethel, Pa., his son told the Associated Press.
    You may not know Dorough's name but if you were parked in front of your TV on Saturday mornings growing up in the 1970s or '80s (or your teachers did), you can probably still recite the lyrics he wrote for Schoolhouse Rock. And the lessons he imparted may have helped you pass a grammar or math test along the way.

He wrote all of the music and lyrics for the Multiplication Rock math series and two of the best-known Grammar Rock numbers, Conjunction Junction and Lolly, Lolly Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here.

Dorough also wrote the song Devil May Care, which jazz great Miles Davis recorded as an instrumental version.
    Dorough was born in Arkansas and raised in Texas. After arranging music and playing multiple instruments for army bands during World War II, he studied composition and piano at the University of North Texas, graduating in 1949.
    He also did stints in Paris jazz clubs and Los Angeles, where he played between comedy sets by Lenny Bruce. But it was his knack for teaching math through music that would lead to his best-known job as musical director for Schoolhouse Rock, ABC's series of educational videos, conceived by advertising executive David McCall, whose son couldn't remember his multiplication tables but could rattle off lyrics to rock songs.

Bob Dorough, seen here performing in London in 2006, was recruited from the New York jazz club scene to write music for 'Schoolhouse Rock.' (Photo: HERITAGE IMAGES VIA GETTY IMAGES)

"Dave was very pointed in telling Bob (recruited from a New York jazz club) not to talk down to kids as had been the case in most attempts to educate children through music. Bob then promised to return in a couple of weeks with a demo," recalled Schoolhouse Rock co-creator George Newall in a 2014 interview with the website Noblemania.com.

"When Bob came back with Three Is a Magic Number, we were astonished," Newall said. "He had put the three times table into a context, based on the role of three in mathematics, religion, and even furniture-making."

Newall noted that Three Is a Magic Number remains his personal favorite. "That was the song in which Bob Dorough created the conceptual approach that steered us away from the mere repetition of numbers and facts."
    He added, "By the grace of Bob, every recording session was fun to be a part of."
    Dorough eventually settled in Pennsylvania, and worked into his early 80s, collaborating with Nellie McKay and writing songs that accompanied author Maureen Sullivan's children's books about Carlos the French bulldog.

His funeral is set for Monday in Mount Bethel, Pa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh no! What a shame... He was a class act.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

*Ahem* Boomers crooned along to Conjunction Junction and all the rest. Genius. And the highlight of Saturday morning cartoons.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Conjunction Junction... what's your function?
    I'm going to be singing that for the rest of the day.

RIP Bob.

Everybody remembers Conjunction Junction and I'm Just a Bill, but there were some that were much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Everybody remembers Conjunction Junction and I'm Just a Bill, but there were some that were much better.

All good. My favorite.

My brother and I and later my sons learned multiplication this way.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

3x6 is 18, 3x5 is 15, 3x4 is 12 and 3x3 is 9 and 3x2 is 6 and 3x1 is 3, of course.

I love flashbacks of childhood.

I actually learned more about these things from schoolhouse rock as opposed to learning about it in my crappy school.
    SAD!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another one of my favorites and a Dorough song.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

RIP Mr. Dorough.

One of my favorites:

Last edited by CaptUSA; 04-25-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    One of my favorites:

Yes, despite the Injuns.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video