Thread: Europe Now Pushing Trump Administration To Ease Russian Sanctions

Europe Now Pushing Trump Administration To Ease Russian Sanctions

Something strange happened in the days immediately preceding Trump's airstrikes on Syria: first Germany, then Italy, refused to join the US-led effort, which ultimately also included the UK and France. Commenting on this curious split within the European core, we said that "there are at least two European nations who remember that when it gets cold in the winter, there is one country they call to provide the natural gas they need for heating. Russia"

Fast forward two weeks, and it now appears that most of Europe has also remembered just how critical Russia is to the well-being of the continent, because according to the FT, a Europe-wide diplomatic push is under way to persuade the Trump administration to ease US sanctions targeting Russia, amid growing fears that the restrictions are so severe they threaten unleashing another economic recession across the continent.
    In a stark reminder that every political action has an unexpected - and usually unpleasant - reaction, Paris, which is in charge of coordinating the anti-sanction effort after business limits on Russian metals companies caused aluminium and nickel prices to soar, "is pushing allies including Berlin, London and Rome to make a joint representation in Washington."
    As the FT adds, the French-led initiative underscores the widening concern in Europe about the consequences that sanctions could have on key EU industries from cars to aerospace.
    Echoing what we said almost two weeks ago when commenting on the Rusal sanctions, a French official warned that the sanctions, which have crippled Russian aluminium producer Rusal, would have a “direct and major impact on the provisioning of key products” and that a number of industrial plants in Europe were threatened with closure.
    “They are not the kind which can be reopened overnight. So a solution is needed, and fast,” the official said. “Constructive engagement with the US is taking place.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...sian-sanctions
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Russian gas to Europe is cut off, Europe will be forced to purchase natural gas from the United States.

For the good of American workers, we need to increase pressure on Russia until this happens. Sanctions, tariffs, war, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    If Russian gas to Europe is cut off, Europe will be forced to purchase natural gas from the United States.

For the good of American workers, we need to increase pressure on Russia until this happens. Sanctions, tariffs, war, whatever.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...pable-LNG-Boom

^Brought to you by the military industrial complex, the DNC, Neocons and globalist elite.

Whatever happened to Peace in Prosperity that Ron Paul supported?

Do they currently favor Russia over the US
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Something strange happened in the days immediately preceding Trump's airstrikes on Syria: first Germany, then Italy, refused to join the US-led effort, which ultimately also included the UK and France. Commenting on this curious split within the European core, we said that "there are at least two European nations who remember that when it gets cold in the winter, there is one country they call to provide the natural gas they need for heating. Russia"

Fast forward two weeks, and it now appears that most of Europe has also remembered just how critical Russia is to the well-being of the continent, because according to the FT, a Europe-wide diplomatic push is under way to persuade the Trump administration to ease US sanctions targeting Russia, amid growing fears that the restrictions are so severe they threaten unleashing another economic recession across the continent.
    In a stark reminder that every political action has an unexpected - and usually unpleasant - reaction, Paris, which is in charge of coordinating the anti-sanction effort after business limits on Russian metals companies caused aluminium and nickel prices to soar, "is pushing allies including Berlin, London and Rome to make a joint representation in Washington."
    As the FT adds, the French-led initiative underscores the widening concern in Europe about the consequences that sanctions could have on key EU industries from cars to aerospace.
    Echoing what we said almost two weeks ago when commenting on the Rusal sanctions, a French official warned that the sanctions, which have crippled Russian aluminium producer Rusal, would have a “direct and major impact on the provisioning of key products” and that a number of industrial plants in Europe were threatened with closure.
    “They are not the kind which can be reopened overnight. So a solution is needed, and fast,” the official said. “Constructive engagement with the US is taking place.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...sian-sanctions
    LOL. Blowback!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Do they currently favor Russia over the US
    Well Russia is closer so I assume getting gas Russia is cheaper so....

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Well Russia is closer so I assume getting gas Russia is cheaper so....
    Russia also doesn't want to tax their economy 2% for the privilege of being in NATO.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Russia also doesn't want to tax their economy 2% for the privilege of being in NATO.
    I didn't know an offer was extended for Russia to join NATO.

I didn't know an offer was extended for Russia to join NATO.
    I was talking about uncle Sam requiring NATO members to spend at least 2% of GDP on "defense" with the MIC. A shakeup. Yankees can also be Indian givers.

I was talking about uncle Sam requiring NATO members to spend at least 2% of GDP on "defense" with the MIC. A shakeup. Yankees can also be Indian givers.
    Oh. I get it.

Oh. I get it.
    Russians are old fashioned. They want to make money, not to grow revenue. They don't have an overhead of a huge bureaucracy so they will always be able to undercut us on prices. Everybody knows this.

The U.S. softened its position on sanctions against Russian metals giant United Co. Rusal, sparking a record plunge in aluminum prices.
    For the first time, the U.S. Treasury discussed a path for lifting the sanctions on Rusal, saying it would provide relief if Oleg Deripaska relinquished control. It also extended the deadline for companies to wind down dealings with the Russian aluminum producer by almost five months.
    Rusal petitioned to be removed from the sanctions list and Treasury granted the extension while it considers the appeal, according to a statement from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
    “Rusal has felt the impact of U.S. sanctions because of its entanglement with Oleg Deripaska, but the U.S. government is not targeting the hardworking people who depend on Rusal and its subsidiaries,” Mnuchin said.
    Aluminum plunged in response as traders speculated that supply disruptions could ease. Prices fell as much as 9.4 percent, the most ever. U.S. metal producers also dropped, with Alcoa Inc. sliding 12 percent.

More at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eripaska-sells

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The U.S. softened its position on sanctions against Russian metals giant United Co. Rusal, sparking a record plunge in aluminum prices.
    For the first time, the U.S. Treasury discussed a path for lifting the sanctions on Rusal, saying it would provide relief if Oleg Deripaska relinquished control. It also extended the deadline for companies to wind down dealings with the Russian aluminum producer by almost five months.
    Rusal petitioned to be removed from the sanctions list and Treasury granted the extension while it considers the appeal, according to a statement from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
    “Rusal has felt the impact of U.S. sanctions because of its entanglement with Oleg Deripaska, but the U.S. government is not targeting the hardworking people who depend on Rusal and its subsidiaries,” Mnuchin said.
    Aluminum plunged in response as traders speculated that supply disruptions could ease. Prices fell as much as 9.4 percent, the most ever. U.S. metal producers also dropped, with Alcoa Inc. sliding 12 percent.

More at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eripaska-sells
    Just 24 hours ago, Bloomberg reported that "Oleg Deripaska Plans on Keeping Control of Rusal", a move which suggested that the Russian oligarch would remain defiant in face of US demands that he sell his stake and/or step down as head of United Co. Rusal - the world's biggest aluminum producer outside of China - even as the Russian aluminum giant battles for survival having lost capital markets access following the snactions.
    Or maybe not: overnight we got a first indication that Bloomberg's report was incorrect when Rusal published a Facebook post denying the Bloomberg claim that Deripaska was intent on keeping control over Rusal, and threatened to take "legal action"

And then, moments ago, we got definitive confirmation when EN+, which holds a controlling stake in Rusia, announced that Deripaska had in fact agreed "in principle" to cut his stake in EN+ to below 50%, and that the sanctioned Russian billionaire had agreed with the proposal that he will resign from board.
    As EN+ also adds, the company is seeking an urgent response to the formal request submitted to OFAC, and notes that without an extension of "authorization period for General License No. 13", the ability of the company to maintain GDR listing on LSE will be materially impacted.
    "Mr Oleg Deripaska has agreed in principle to the chairman’s request that Mr Deripaska reduce his shareholding in the Company to below 50%" EN+ said in a statement.
    The proposal has yet to be accepted by the US Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), which slapped Mr Deripaska and his companies with the sanctions on April 6, saying they were part of a broad response to Russia’s “malign activity”.
    Under the proposed deal, Deripaska would reduce his stake in EN+, which serves as the holding company for his assets, from above 70 per cent to below 50 per cent. The company listed on the LSE last November in a $1.5bn flotation. EN+, which is chaired by former UK energy minister Lord Gregory Barker of Battle, would replenish the board under the proposal, removing Mr Deripaska and adding new directors without links to the oligarch. EN+ would also give up its rights to nominate the chief executive of Rusal and manage the business.
    As the FT adds, the proposal, announced in a statement to the London Stock Exchange, has yet to be accepted by the US Treasury, which imposed sanctions on Deripaska and his companies this month, as part of what the Trump administration described as a broad response to Russia’s “malign activity”.
    It is also not clear if the Kremlin will be prepared to back the proposal, which would see one of Russia’s highest profile businessmen severed from his assets by the US.
    “If the plan is accepted the logical conclusion [for OFAC] will be to release Rusal from these sanctions,” a person familiar with the situation said. “Mr Deripaska has agreed to sever the link. He does not want to see the company he has built up crumble.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...trolling-stake

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Following unintended consequential chaos in the aluminum markets following Washington's sanctions on Russian oligarchs, The Wall Street Journal reports the Trump administration on Tuesday amended its Russia sanctions program, paving the way for aluminum giant Rusal to escape from the blacklist.

In what could be argued is the first de-escalation with Russia, the U.S. Treasury is extending until June 6 the deadline for Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska to divest from En+ and related entities.
    As WSJ notes, facing delisting from the London Stock Exchange this week, Rusal’s owner, EN+ Group, sought the 11th-hour amnesty from the U.S. Treasury late last week by pledging that Deripaska - its majority shareholder and a primary target of the U.S. sanctions - would reduce his holdings and relinquish his board seat.

Of course - what this really does is force the oligarch into a firesale of his holdings, with the entire world knowing he needs to sell.
    Bloomberg reports that last week, Deripaska agreed in principle to cut his stake in En+ to less than 50 percent and plans to resign from the company.
    Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a Bloomberg TV interview on Monday that Washington's goal has not been to put Rusal out of business.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...usal-sanctions

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wait, when a country restricts imports, thereby raising domestic prices, it harms itself?

...who coulda knowed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Wait, when a country restricts imports, thereby raising domestic prices, it harms itself?

...who coulda knowed.
    Things are more complex than that, this sanction is having it's intended effect and it wasn't part of the trade strategy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Things are more complex than that, this sanction is having it's intended effect and it wasn't part of the trade strategy.
    There's no difference between a "sanction" restricting Russia's exports to Europe and a tariff restricting European imports of Russia goods.

Europe Now Pushing Trump Administration To Ease Russian Sanctions
    ... not too surprising from an economical standpoint.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska has resigned as director of his aluminum firm Rusal, in an effort to persuade U.S. President Donald Trump's administration to ease sanctions against him and his companies, RFE/RL reported May 25.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...wn-rusal-board

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

The US needs Europeans banks to stay afloat. Catch 22. Ha ha.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Friday that the Trump administration is considering the possibility of removing a Russian aluminum company from a list of sanctioned entities as the company seeks to reconcile with the U.S. government.
    Mnuchin told Reuters that the sanctions aimed at top Russian companies suspected to be involved in “malign activities” were not meant to destroy the aluminum company, Rusal, which the outlet reported is working on reestablishing a relationship with U.S. officials.

“The company has approached us on certain de-listing issues [from the Specially Designated Nationals List],” Mnuchin told Reuters in an interview.

“I’m not going to go into the exact specifics of what those proposals are and where we stand on them, but, yes, if we can find an acceptable solution, that is our objective,” he added.

More at: http://thehill.com/policy/finance/39...sanctions-list

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...S?locations=RU

Russians spend over 4% of GDP on military which is more than any NATO member including the US.

But it's ludicrous to even contemplate such a scenario as the purpose of NATO's existence is to fight war against Russia.

It pursues its purpose with indifference, and sometimes outright defiance, of the populations it is obstensibly protecting.

The federal government's scorched-earth campaign against Ukrainian-born oligarch Oleg Deripaska has traveled all the way from Russia to the Upper East Side. To wit, the New York Post reported that the US Treasury has frozen Deripaska's US assets, including a sprawling mansion on East 64th Street in Manhattan, as it pressures Deripaska to abandon his stake in metals-and-energy holding company EN+, the London-traded holding company behind Deripaska's controlling ownership in Rusal and other ventures.
    Since being slapped with sanctions in April, Deripaska's legal team has been negotiating with the US government for Deripaska to limit his involvement to help alleviate sanctions brought against Rusal, which have nearly triggered its collapse. Following Mueller's unveiling of sanctions against 24 Russian oligarchs and senior political officials, Rusal found itself effectively cut off from the western banking system and global markets. Since August, Deripaska's legal team has been negotiating with the Treasury for Deripaska to reduce his stake in EN+ and transfer some of his shares to a Russian bank (albeit one that's also under sanctions). Most recently, Deripaska offered to cut his stake in EN+ to 45%.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-ties-manafort

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.