Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Many Amazon Warehouse Workers are on Food Stamps

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    barking up the wrong tree..
    Its all big businesses fault that we have stagflation and people can't afford rising cost of living. Its not all the monetization of debt that increases prices, pay no attention to that, that lowers the cost of things.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    You lost the privilege of a reply and a quote right off the bat when you stooped to name calling. Good job proving my example and showing your immorality for all to see here.

If you bothered to actually read my replies there was no advocating for state interaction, quite the opposite and blame immoral libertarians like you why I do not already live in a Libertarian society living free on my land. It is those of you that advocate immorality as policy in business affairs that ruin it for the rest of us because you saw it on TV and cannot think for yourself, yet you call me the moron.

Done with you.
    You're breaking my heart, honey.

There is nothing immoral about paying for labor what you consider it to be worth, and at a rate that laborers are willing to work for.

Q. E. D.

But perch up there upon your righteous indignation. No one cares.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    My poor heart bleeds. Amazon is not a welfare operation. It is a for-profit business. They compensate employees for their labor. If Amazon employees want more money they can do what everyone else does in this situation-get a second job. My sister works for Amazon at a warehouse. She has more than enough time for a second job-she's just too lazy to go find one. Watching TV is more her thing.
    Go ahead and continue to consider Amazon like it is just any run of the mill company and turn a blind eye. All hail our Amazon overlords, right?

Just turn a blind eye to them advocating for all 9600 tax jurisdictions to have internet taxing authority over us. Nah that will not be abused and we have to support Amazon because of it's great UI, right?

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    There is nothing immoral about paying for labor what you consider it to be worth, and at a rate that laborers are willing to work for.
    That is not in dispute retard. It is your immorality I was calling out.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Capitalist scum!
    You can be a Capitalist and be moral. You can also be a Capitalist and be immoral. Which one are you?

Pre-80's morality in business was seen as a virtue and immorality not condoned. I do not sign on to where immorality is a requirement to be Libertarian Capitalist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The Washington Post says mean things about Trump.

Bezos owns both the Washington Post and Amazon.

Therefore, Trump and his Trumpkins see Amazon as an enemy of the state.

That's all this is, a continuation of the propaganda attacks started by the president. That's why he ordered Amazon to be investigated despite all evidence to the contrary. Expect to see much more of this, all targeted at Amazon as if they are the only company in the country whose employees use (fill in the blank government program) and/or which ships its products via USPS.
    My calling out Amazon for what they are pre-dates Trump here.

Marketplace Fairness Act attacks e-commerce
    03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
    They should just rename it as the "Amazon-Walmart Small Business Killer Act".
    Call your Senators
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

No National Internet Tax Petition to: My U.S. Representative and Senators (From Campaign For Liberty Email)
    http://www.chooseliberty.org/internet_tax.aspx

Libertarians need to stop treating monopolies that have a policy of immorality, corporatism and waging economic warfare to eliminate all competition as some Mom and Pop business.
    Preaching about morality is pretty much the antithesis of libertarian. Those poor people are the thieves - they're the ones who decided it was morally acceptable to take tax money instead of seek an employer to pay them higher wages.

Q. E. D.

But but but his FEELZ!

"Greed is good", right?
    How do you equate profit with greed?

I'm interested to see your response...

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Greed is good", right?
    I chortled when I saw you use that quote right after waxing nostalgic about the morality of the '80's.

Everybody is greedy. Go watch some Friedman.

Q. E. D.

I care, really. I'm quivering with remorse as I type this.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I care, really. I'm quivering with remorse as I type this.
    Buyers remorse is tough, I have been struggling with it for a while now. I consider it one of the most coveted of first world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Preaching about morality is pretty much the antithesis of libertarian.
    No. A libertarian can be whatever they want and preach whatever they want, that is the whole point. The question I have is why is there a movement that insists that Libertarians be immoral in business and their interactions? To me that sounds very much like it is an intentional establishment scam to deter adoption of the philosophy. A philosophy adopted by many charitable Christians and Christians sects with their own sects of the philosophy.

Those poor people are the thieves - they're the ones who decided it was morally acceptable to take tax money instead of seek an employer to pay them higher wages.
    So we attack people that have little choice in that matter rather than the largest profitable company in the history of the world that could make a charitable difference with their own employees rather than the employees a burden to the taxpayers.

This is an imperfect world and people are imperfect. You expect poor people to stick to a philosophy to not take money from government when they are desperate? Amazon is not in a desperate situation and does have the ability to prevent more people added to the welfare rolls, but you give them a free pass?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    How do you equate profit with greed?

I'm interested to see your response...
    Gorden Gecko quote, thought it was obvious to the discussion.

All hail our Amazon overlords, right?
    Overlords... Or modern Robber Barons?

I think you make a good point on the morality of this type of business behavior.
    Last edited by VIDEODROME; 04-22-2018 at 04:14 PM.

This is an imperfect world and people are imperfect. You expect poor people to stick to a philosophy to not take money from government when they are desperate? Amazon is not in a desperate situation and does have the ability to prevent more people added to the welfare rolls, but you give them a free pass?
    The difference here is that I don't think that some people can and should be bullied and shamed for predictably acting in their own self-interests, while others should be coddled and forgiven for the same behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post

I think you make a good point on the morality of this type of business behavior.
    Big business used to be a check against government power but when government puts power up for sale big business becomes the government. I thought that was what the whole libertarian movement was about, stopping the government from selling power to business by all means, even if that means taking power we gave government away. I always that there could be a balance between anarchy and libertarianism and that is a government that is locally elected so that it is more accountable to the people.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The difference here is that I don't think that some people can and should be bullied and shamed for predictably acting in their own self-interests, while others should be coddled and forgiven for the same behavior.
    That works both ways.

My calling out Amazon for what they are pre-dates Trump here.

Marketplace Fairness Act attacks e-commerce

That's nice, dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post

Why is it immoral to pay the market price for labor? Doesn't management have a moral obligation to protect the interests of the investors and the customers as well? Who gets to decide which moral obligation is superior?

Who gets to decide which moral obligation is superior?
    Depends on which side of the table you sit on.

Why is it immoral to pay the market price for labor? Doesn't management have a moral obligation to protect the interests of the investors and the customers as well? Who gets to decide which moral obligation is superior?
    My 2 cents. It is not immoral to pay the market price for labor and no one is advocating against protecting the interests of investors and customers. Amazon however is in a unique position to balance their interests so their employees are not a burden to the taxpayers. (Such as charitable credit to the grocery stores for their employees)

They could probably do it off the profit they make from the floating interest from internet tax collection. More so when the legislation they are promoting passes and it will unless Trump has a real backbone in standing up to Bezo's. That is if his opposition to him is not all talk. Oddly however Trump almost sounds like he is flirting exactly with what Bezo's wants.
    Last edited by kahless; 04-22-2018 at 04:59 PM.

That works both ways.
    The big difference here is that I'm advocating for free market labor prices and against subsidies. I have no need to impose my morality on others.

John Mackey was/is a big proponent of the "conscious capitalism" theory that it isn't all about profit. And he was very successful with WF with that model for a long time. Still here we are in 2018 and he was forced to sell out his company to Amazon after coming under attack by the profits-only capitalists that were on the verge of snookering his company out from under him....

It is not immoral to pay the market price for labor and no one is advocating against protecting the interests of investors and customers. Amazon however is in a unique position to balance their interests so their employees are not a burden to the taxpayers. (Such as charitable credit to the grocery stores for their employees)
    Why should Amazon care about the taxpayers?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    John Mackey was/is a big proponent of the "conscious capitalism" theory that it isn't all about profit. And he was very successful with WF with that model for a long time. Still here we are in 2018 and he was forced to sell out his company to Amazon after coming under attack by the profits-only capitalists that were on the verge of snookering his company out from under him....
    My husband was a regional director for Whole Foods. I can assure you they were 100% about profit. The things they did to their vendors were horrible, they didn't hesitate to accept food stamps, and he sold his company because organic was becoming less and less niche every year.

My husband was a regional director for Whole Foods. I can assure you they were 100% about profit. The things they did to their vendors were horrible, they didn't hesitate to accept food stamps, and he sold his company because organic was becoming less and less niche every year.
    I'm sure you know more about it than I; I'm just saying the philosophy he promoted publically. And they he was under attack by activist investor groups trying to get WF to leave their niche more.

Who gets to decide which moral obligation is superior?
    The people that get to write the regulations. They decide the m-f work week, the amount of ethanol in our gas and how long we stay a war with Afghanistan.

The big difference here is that I'm advocating for free market labor prices and against subsidies. I have no need to impose my morality on others.
    In most cases I agree. We are however discussing the largest monopoly in the history of the world that is waging economic warfare by targeting specific sectors and selling at a loss until all their competitors are put out of business in that sector. This is elimination of the free market.

While they do so they are partnering with government to pass the internet tax which will be impossible for anyone other than a monopoly to manage. A policy that could subject a business to a tax audit from any of the 9600 US tax jurisdictions. It is a small/medium size business killer and no doubt will be used by some jurisdictions politically against out of state businesses that do not comply with their philosophy.

Amazon is more of a threat to individual liberty than any of the so called foreign policy threats.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast