Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Many Amazon Warehouse Workers are on Food Stamps

Many Amazon Warehouse Workers are on Food Stamps

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/04...on-food-stamps

Many of Amazon's warehouse workers have to buy their groceries with food stamps through America's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, reports the Intercept.

In Arizona, new data suggests that one in three of the company's own employees depend on SNAP to put food on the table. In Pennsylvania and Ohio, the figure appears to be around one in 10. Overall, of five states that responded to a public records request for a list of their top employers of SNAP recipients, Amazon cracked the top 20 in four.

Though the company now employs 200,000 people in the United States, many of its workers are not making enough money to put food on the table... "The average warehouse worker at Walmart makes just under $40,000 annually, while at Amazon would take home about $24,300 a year," CNN reported in 2013. "That's less than $1,000 above the official federal poverty line for a family of four."

In addition Amazon uses temp workers who may also be on food stamps, notes the article, adding that in 2017 Amazon received $1.2 billion in state and local subsidies, while effectively paying no federal income tax.

"The American people are financing Amazon's pursuit of an e-commerce monopoly every step of the way: first, with tax breaks, subsidies, and infrastructure improvements meant to lure fulfillment centers into town, and later with federal transfers to pay for warehouse workers' food."

-----

References on Source article on link at top.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Many of WalMart's are too....

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    So what?
    So let's stop the program!

Cold turkey, work or starve.

While we're at it free (tax dollar supported) housing and medical need to go too.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

While we're at it free (tax dollar supported) housing and medical need to go too.
    You just want people to die.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't give a $#@! if they work and prosper or if they lounge and die.

What I give a $#@! about is supporting their collective asses.

Same sentiment applies to all government 'workers'..

K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Many of WalMart's are too....
    And so do many workers at hospitals and nursing homes and all over the place. Hell, MIL was just telling me about an RN at her work that complained about them getting a deli tray for a company event instead of pizza because, "I can buy a deli tray with SNAP."

This is tragic. Americans should not have to tolerate such low wages. The government should pay them all a living wage, and they can focus on arts, humanities and social justice.

Immigrants can work in the warehouses.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The problem isn't the "program"- the problem is that we are so submerged in The Matrix and what we think is "reality", that we are clueless to what life ought to be. Working 8-12 hrs a day for The Man is NOT freedom, it's a government prison for all.

Real freedom would be to have the right to travel, roam, own land, learn, exchange, set your own perimeters, be a real entrepreneur, w/o constant gov interference. Most people would do quite well- and all charity would be local.

This 9-5 American Dream, that everyone accepts as "reality". is utter bull$#@!.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The problem isn't the "program"- the problem is that we are so submerged in The Matrix and what we think is "reality", that we are clueless to what life ought to be. Working 8-12 hrs a day for The Man is NOT freedom, it's a government prison for all.

Real freedom would be to have the right to travel, roam, own land, learn, exchange, set your own perimeters, be a real entrepreneur, w/o constant gov interference. Most people would do quite well- and all charity would be local.

This 9-5 American Dream, that everyone accepts as "reality". is utter bull$#@!.
    Nobody HAS to work for big business, it's a choice.

Just like nobody has to patronize them either...

The 'free-$#@!' only enables big business and supports big-gov.

Some of this thread demonstrates why Libertarians will always be 1% and after years of listening to the callous rhetoric and advocating for billionaires instead of the poor masses I am beginning to think maybe rightfully so. Instead of non-government alternatives offered up and calling out Amazon, <some> Libertarians attack poor people and rejoice in their demise while giving Bezo's, a billionaire that is profiting off the backs of taxpayers a free pass.

Later this year, Amazon will begin accepting grocery orders from customers using the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the federal anti-poverty program formerly known as food stamps. As the nation’s largest e-commerce grocer, Amazon stands to profit more than any other retailer when the $70 billion program goes online after an initial eight-state pilot.
    Amazon profits off the backs of taxpayers by paying low wages to the point their employees need government assistance to survive and in turn these same employees will use the taxpayer dollars to enrich Amazon further. That is not very Libertarian.

If Libertarians really had compassion for their fellow man and sense of morality, Bezo's would be called out for accepting SNAP and for not providing groceries as charity to their poor employees if they do not want to pay a living wage.
    Last edited by kahless; 04-22-2018 at 01:51 PM.

And there is nothing stopping people from taking in roommates or working another job. I know many people who work two jobs, or maybe more.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Just like nobody has to patronize them either...

The 'free-$#@!' only enables big business and supports big-gov.
    Oh, I agree- and I chose another path.

However, many people don not understand this- plus small businesses are regulated to infinity and beyond, so any chance of real personal success is very limited.
    There is no spoon.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/30/news...ers/index.html

Amazon wouldn't say how much it pays its workers. But according to data gathered by career website Glassdoor.com, Amazon pays its 20,000 warehouse workers an average hourly wage of about $12, which is below the national average.

Spokeswoman Mary Osako said Glassdoor's numbers are closer to wages for entry-level workers.

She added that the figure also doesn't represent the Amazon worker's entire compensation. Its employees get full benefits and stock awards on top of their salaries. In the past five years, this has added an average of 9% to workers' base pay annually, Osako said.

Amazon also offers to pre-pay up to 95% of tuition for courses for its workers, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to a career at Amazon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a friend whose husband does package delivery for Amazon. She is a supervisor, and she says he makes more than she does.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Oh, I agree- and I chose another path.

However, many people don not understand this- plus small businesses are regulated to infinity and beyond, so any chance of real personal success is very limited.
    +1, out of rep.

Also, limited by monopolies like Amazon who have a history of selling at a loss in some sectors for the entire purpose of putting their competition out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Amazon profits off the backs of taxpayers by paying low wages to the point their employees need government assistance to survive and in turn these same employees will use the taxpayer dollars to enrich Amazon further. That is not very Libertarian.

If Libertarians really had compassion for their fellow man and sense of morality, Bezo's would be called out for accepting SNAP and for not providing groceries as charity to their poor employees if they do not want to pay a living wage.
    Are you $#@!ing kidding me? You must be a $#@!ing moron.

Labor is worth what it is worth. If the State intervenes in the market and artificially props up the low end of the labor market, how the $#@! is that Amazon's problem?

How is it Amazon's responsibility to pay MORE for labor than it values it?

Jeezus Criminy what is going on here at RPF? Please don't tell me this is what is passing for libertarian around here any more.

Enough people thought that was good enough pay when they took the job, enough to staff the entire operation.

I think the “someone needs to do something” crowd is barking up the wrong tree..

Clearly if government benefits weren’t being handed out to people making a fair wage so freely you wouldn’t have this whole discussion about why amazon employees are on snap.

Some people seem to think that a business should pay more than people are willing to work for if the business is successful.

Lowest guy working for me is making 16. He’s happy, I’m happy. He could probably stand to make 4-5 more, but accepted the wage when i hired him. Other guys negotiate higher.
    No - No - No - No

So Amazon is getting employment subsidies. Duh.

Oh, the leftists redefining Libertariamism:

Some of this thread demonstrates why Libertarians will always be 1% and after years of listening to the callous rhetoric and advocating for billionaires instead of the poor masses I am beginning to think maybe rightfully so. Instead of non-government alternatives offered up and calling out Amazon, <some> Libertarians attack poor people and rejoice in their demise while giving Bezo's, a billionaire that is profiting off the backs of taxpayers a free pass.
    Compassion has nothing to do with it. Business exists to keep costs low. Nobody will support ending "compassionate" SNAP, so it ends up being a wage subsidy.

Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Compassion has nothing to do with it. Business exists to keep costs low. Nobody will support ending "compassionate" SNAP, so it ends up being a wage subsidy.

Duh.
    Businesses exist to make a profit, period.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Duh.
    It is unfortunate that you, "A Son of Liberty" and Libertarians I was calling out equate Libertarianism as a business policy of immorality, advocating for monopolies and growing government as an end result. The expectation that Libertarians advocate for extreme immorality in business is fairly a new thing and perhaps more with the younger generation here.

Believing the largest most profitable monopoly in the history of the world should exercise some morality with it's employees, the communities for which they reside and the taxpayers does not mean one supports government intervention.

In fact your advocating for the opposite and specifically for immorality is why Libertarians fail to make in-roads or success in society which results in calls for government regulation and growing government.

Libertarians need to stop treating monopolies that have a policy of immorality, corporatism and waging economic warfare to eliminate all competition as some Mom and Pop business.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is unfortunate that you, "A Son of Liberty" and Libertarians I was calling out equate Libertarianism as a business policy of immorality, advocating for monopolies and growing government as an end result. The expectation that Libertarians advocate for extreme immorality in business is fairly a new thing and perhaps more with the younger generation here.

Believing the largest most profitable monopoly in the history of the world should exercise some morality with it's employees, the communities for which they reside and the taxpayers does not mean one supports government intervention.

In fact your advocating for the opposite and specifically for immorality is why Libertarians fail to make in-roads or success in society which results in calls for government regulation and growing government.

Libertarians need to stop treating monopolies that have a policy of immorality, corporatism and waging economic warfare to eliminate all competition as some Mom and Pop business.
    Oh, I see. You actually are an idiot.

And nice try not quoting me, hoping I wouldn't come back into this thread and respond to your jackassery.

Labor is worth what a business is willing to pay for it and what a laborer is willing to work for it. Period.

If the State intervenes in that transaction, all it does is distort the market. Like everything else.

This is pretty much libertarianism 101, pointless. Unless you're shedding some new light on the topic... in that case, by all means, please do enlighten us. :lol:

Also, please don't use words that you clearly don't know the meaning of

"Greed is good", right?

Businesses exist to make a profit does not mean one should celebrate or support the process in which they do so if it violates the non-aggression principle, is immoral or creates a burden for taxpayers when it is unnecessary.

Moral and immoral people can be Libertarians. It is the immoral people that have set the example of Libertarians that society recognizes and is why the Libertarian party is relegated to < 1%.

My poor heart bleeds. Amazon is not a welfare operation. It is a for-profit business. They compensate employees for their labor. If Amazon employees want more money they can do what everyone else does in this situation-get a second job. My sister works for Amazon at a warehouse. She has more than enough time for a second job-she's just too lazy to go find one. Watching TV is more her thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Even non-profit ones?

Which Amazon practically is.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-22-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Jeezus Criminy what is going on here at RPF? Please don't tell me this is what is passing for libertarian around here any more.
    The Washington Post says mean things about Trump.

Bezos owns both the Washington Post and Amazon.

Therefore, Trump and his Trumpkins see Amazon as an enemy of the state.

That's all this is, a continuation of the propaganda attacks started by the president. That's why he ordered Amazon to be investigated despite all evidence to the contrary. Expect to see much more of this, all targeted at Amazon as if they are the only company in the country whose employees use (fill in the blank government program) and/or which ships its products via USPS.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Oh, I see. You actually are an idiot.

And nice try not quoting me, hoping I wouldn't come back into this thread and respond to your jackassery.

Labor is worth what a business is willing to pay for it and what a laborer is willing to work for it. Period.

If the State intervenes in that transaction, all it does is distort the market. Like everything else.

This is pretty much libertarianism 101, pointless. Unless you're shedding some new light on the topic... in that case, by all means, please do enlighten us. :lol:

Also, please don't use words that you clearly don't know the meaning of
    You lost the privilege of a reply and a quote right off the bat when you stooped to name calling. Good job proving my example and showing your immorality for all to see here.

If you bothered to actually read my replies there was no advocating for state interaction, quite the opposite and blame immoral libertarians like you why I do not already live in a Libertarian society living free on my land. It is those of you that advocate immorality as policy in business affairs that ruin it for the rest of us because you saw it on TV and cannot think for yourself, yet you call me the moron.

Done with you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast