Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Many Amazon Warehouse Workers are on Food Stamps

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    "Ever since it became theoretically evident that our precious personal identities were just brand-tags for trading crumbs of labour-power on the libidino-economic junk circuit, the vestiges of authorial theatricality [have been wearing] thinner"
    Same source:

“Suffering must be obviously futile if it is to be 'educational'. It is for this reason that our history is so unintelligible, and indeed, nothing that was true has ever made sense. 'Why was so much pain necessary?' we foolishly ask. But it is precisely because history has made no sense that we have learnt from it, and the lesson remains a brutal one.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Same source:

“Suffering must be obviously futile if it is to be 'educational'. It is for this reason that our history is so unintelligible, and indeed, nothing that was true has ever made sense. 'Why was so much pain necessary?' we foolishly ask. But it is precisely because history has made no sense that we have learnt from it, and the lesson remains a brutal one.”
    Pain is the Messenger. The Lesson will continue until it is Learnt.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Pain is the Messenger. The Lesson will continue until it is Learnt.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Insisting that evil Amazon should be forced into paying over a market wage means you're siding against the free market. We can agree that this isn't a free market, but moar force isn't the Libertarian solution.
    Can you please point to the post in this thread where someone advocated that since I do not see it acptula's post you quoted?

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Some shocking un-libertarian shenannigans going on in this thread, Angie.
    Maybe you two should spend time reading what Libertarians like Ron Paul believe about monopolies. What Ron said here applies to Amazon.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...-for-monopoly/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Monopolies and cartels are creations of government, not markets.
    Legislation forcing consumers to pay out-of-state sales tax on their online purchases is a classic case of business seeking to use government to harm less politically-powerful competitors. This legislation is being pushed by large brick-and-mortar stores and Internet retailers who are seeking a government-granted advantage over smaller competitors.
    Monopolies only exist when government tilts the playing field in favor of well-connected crony capitalists.

@angelatc suffers from the Stockholm syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Some shocking un-libertarian shenannigans going on in this thread, Angie.
    Liberals and Libertarians agree that public/private collusion is a bad thing. It's just the solutions we disagree on. Human nature is human nature...Amazon isn't going to pay .01 more than they have to. Workers aren't ever going to go home at night and say, "Yes, that's a perfectly fair wage for this job that requires very little special skills." And politicians are going to use tax money to buy votes.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Can you please point to the post in this thread where someone advocated that since I do not see it acptula's post you quoted?

Maybe you two should spend time reading what Libertarians like Ron Paul believe about monopolies. What Ron said here applies to Amazon.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...-for-monopoly/
    Maybe you should $#@!ing look up the definition of monopoly. But allow me to quote from the same article you oddly decided would be good fodder:
    When Time-Warner announced it planned to merge with another major communications firm, many feared the new company would exercise near-total monopoly power. These concerns led some to call for government action to block the merger in order to protect both Time-Warner's competitors and consumers.

No, I am not talking about Time-Warner’s recent announced plan to merge with AT&T, but the reaction to Time-Warner’s merger with (then) Internet giant AOL in 2000. Far from creating an untouchable leviathan crushing all competitors, the AOL-Time-Warner merger fell apart in under a decade.

The failure of AOL-Time-Warner demonstrates that even the biggest companies are vulnerable to competition if there is open entry into the marketplace. AOL-Time-Warner failed because consumers left them for competitors offering lower prices and/or better quality.
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-23-2018 at 02:31 PM.

@angelatc suffers from the Stockholm syndrome.
    Now you are literally hallucinating. I'm here arguing for free markets.

Now you are literally hallucinating. I'm here arguing for free markets.
    Thank you for setting the record straight.

When Time-Warner announced it planned to merge with another major communications firm, many feared the new company would exercise near-total monopoly power. These concerns led some to call for government action to block the merger in order to protect both Time-Warner's competitors and consumers.
    You are such a dupe. Everybody knew they were being set up. The calls for blocking the deal were orchestrated so the dupes at TW would have an excuse to go for it. Looks like you never seen a merger or an acquisition in real life.
    Last edited by timosman; 04-23-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added the excuse to not look like a dupe myself ;)

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I'm here arguing for free markets.
    Could have fooled me with your shilling for a company that is wiping out competition in some sectors. This while they are making every effort to push legislation that would subject businesses to tax audits from 9600 US tax jurisdictions. Of course Amazon is selling it to government that no problem they would offer every business in the country tax services to manage it. Effectively one of the few companies that can do so due to their size.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Could have fooled me with your shilling for a company that is wiping out competition in some sectors. This while they are making every effort to push legislation that would subject businesses to tax audits from 9600 US tax jurisdictions. Of course Amazon is selling it to government that no problem they would offer every business in the country tax services to manage it. Effectively one of the few companies that can do so due to their size.
    "Shilling"? Not sure there is any shilling going on in this thread, exactly.

When the government becomes this large and offers a welfare state to it's citizens, you can't expect companies operating in a rational manner to not take advantage of those policies. This is the environment they operate in and the truth is if they don't do it, their competitors will and they will go out of business.

Sure, it's immoral. But the immorality of stealing money from your citizens to fund a welfare state and to redistribute wealth is an immorality of much greater significance. It is what allows and outright encourages companies like Amazon to do what they do.

I'm as suspicious of Amazon as any. They're doing their best to monopolize my industry.

Amazon is not alone in it's abuse of our nanny state. And the problem extends far beyond the pay that is offered to employees.

The problem is the type of argument happening in this thread is what leads to a bigger welfare state. These are the same arguments that are used to argue for a greater minimum wage, and more wealth redistribution.
    Last edited by fcreature; 04-25-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    "Shilling"? Not sure there is any shilling going on in this thread, exactly.

When the government becomes this large and offers a welfare state to it's citizens, you can't expect companies operating in a rational manner to not take advantage of those policies. This is the environment they operate in and the truth is if they don't do it, their competitors will and they will go out of business.

Sure, it's immoral. But the immorality of stealing money from your citizens to fund a welfare state and to redistribute wealth is an immorality of much greater significance. It is what allows and outright encourages companies like Amazon to do what they do.

I'm as suspicious of Amazon as any. They're doing their best to monopolize my industry.

Amazon is not alone in it's abuse of our nanny state. And the problem extends far beyond the pay that is offered to employees.

The problem is the type of argument happening in this thread is what leads to a bigger welfare state. These are the same arguments that are used to argue for a greater minimum wage, and more wealth redistribution.
    Again, pointing out their immorality is by no means advocating growing the welfare state and does not make one a "leftist" or whatever "$#@!ing" her words she comes up with. Bashing the employees and those that point out Amazon's immorality is certainly giving cover and shilling for them.

They are a threat to my individual liberty as much as government in their tactics to eliminate competition and subject me to authoritarian tax policy which will certainly be used as a tool by the far left against businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456