Thread: Enviros Turn to Cattle Grazing to Curb Global Warming

Enviros Turn to Cattle Grazing to Curb Global Warming

The Amazing Ability of Pasture Grass to Sequester Carbon
    Century-Old Chamberlin Ranch Turns to New Techniques That Improve Rangeland and So Much More

Thursday, April 19, 2018
    by JEAN YAMAMURA

A buzz has been generating in California agriculture circles over the possibilities of carbon ranching. It’s not about producing carbon, as it might sound, but about putting more carbon back into the ground, naturally, through grasses. The theory goes like this: Native grasses send roots as deep as six feet underground, breathing in carbon dioxide as they breathe out oxygen. At a number of test acres across California, including at the Ted Chamberlin Ranch near Los Olivos, adding a thin layer of compost has created more topsoil, which feeds the microbes below ground, which enrich the grasses, which draw more carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and hold it in their roots deep in the soil. Add cattle to the mix, and voilà! Carbon ranching.

https://www.independent.com/news/201...uester-carbon/
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think I may become an environmentalist again.

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

a good strong argument in favor of grass fed beef... environmentally sound... & delicious.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

What about the cow's methane?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

What about it? Cows fart more when they're grain fed. My next-door-neighbor's cows eat grass most of the year. Very little to no problems with gas. We fed our dogs 3 parts raw meat to one part greens. Never a problem with gas unless they ate some garbage food. I eat all raw, which is based on dark, leafy greens. No problems unless I eat too much raw cheese, raw fish, nuts, etc.

By the way, we've bought a few of my neighbors cows. Gave it to our dogs raw. I only eat raw, so ate some of it raw. Just a small cube or two at a time, and it was outstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Ye who smelt it dealt it.

https://www.opb.org/news/blog/ecotro...rain-fed-beef/

Grass-fed cattle produce do more methane because it’s harder to digest grass than grain. However, some argue grass that is continually grazed by grass-fed cattle sequesters enough carbon to make up the difference in methane.
    This Washington Post blogger reviewed several studies and decided it’s hard to say whether grass-fed or grain-fed beef is better for the Earth – in part because they’re both pretty bad.

“No matter how you slice it,” he wrote, “eating beef will never be the greenest thing you do in a day.”

He cites an estimate by the National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science in Japan that producing 2.2 pounds of beef emits more greenhouse gases than driving 155 miles.

Hamerschlag said Capper doesn’t properly account for the water use in grass-fed systems, doesn’t give enough credit to the carbon sequestration benefits of raising cattle entirely on grass, and

For a firsthand perspective, I called Joe Pestana, who raises about 100 head of grass-fed cattle in Langlois.

It usually takes him a little more than two years to raise the calves to market weight. Then, he drives the cattle to the slaughterhouse and delivers the meat directly to his customers.

“It is more expensive to produce,” he said. “It takes a lot of land – good land. It takes irrigation rights. It takes a lot of grass. If you really wanted to feed the whole country a good protein source, I don’t know if we have the pasture and irrigation to make that much.
    If one is concerned about the carbon footprint of their protein sources:

https://sustainability.stackexchange...rbon-footprint
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-21-2018 at 12:12 PM.

https://www.opb.org/news/blog/ecotro...rain-fed-beef/

If one is concerned about the carbon footprint of their protein sources:

https://sustainability.stackexchange...rbon-footprint
    I need to eat more lamb.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.