Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Considers Allowing 16-Year-Olds to Vote

DC Considers Allowing 16-Year-Olds to Vote

A council member in Washington, D.C., has introduced legislation that would lower the age to vote in federal and local elections to 16.
    D.C. council member Charles Allen (D) last week introduced the legislation, which could allow 16- and 17-year-olds to vote in the 2020 presidential election, WUSA-TV reported.
    Allen said he proposed the legislation after seeing the students march last month in Washington, D.C. for the "March for Our Lives" event to protest gun violence and demand new gun laws.

Seven of the 13 members of the D.C. Council are backing the measure, advocates of the proposal told WUSA-TV.

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...year-olds-vote
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    oh that pesky 26th amendment!! 18 is required for federal elections and there's nothing the DC council can do about it.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

These are the same kids that are eating tide pods and snorting condoms up their noses. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be voting at all until they grow a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    oh that pesky 26th amendment!! 18 is required for federal elections and there's nothing the DC council can do about it.
    Don't underestimate the power of morons in large quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    The 26th Amendment says that you can’t be denied the ability to vote based on age if you are 18 or older. It doesn’t say that states can’t lower the minimum age.

Why are DC residents should be allowed to vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    These are the same kids that are eating tide pods and snorting condoms up their noses. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be voting at all until they grow a brain.
    OTOH, their parents consume copious amounts of mood and mind-altering pharma drugs while eating disgusting food and not exercising. $#@! it, nobody votes anymore till they can prove they're sane and competent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

HaHa. Only 42% of D.C.’s public high School seniors are "on track to graduate." That's perfect!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.df368443c429

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, so DC will go from 91% leftist voting to 95% leftist voting?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Wow, so DC will go from 91% leftist voting to 95% leftist voting?
    D.C. knows what's good for you. More government.

Since 16 and 17 year olds can be tried as an adult in various courts then they should at least have a chance to choose representation that may benefit them better.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Since 16 and 17 year olds can be tried as an adult in various courts then they should at least have a chance to choose representation that may benefit them better.
    The two things have nothing to do with eachother.
    We might as well let 6 year olds vote.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We might as well let 6 year olds vote.
    Are 6 yo tried as adults?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    So much freedom- we can put you in jail for victimless crimes but you have no voice in it.

This is the same logic that will support an 18 year old joining the military but won't allow them to drink.

If people are going to be punished as adults then they should also have voting rights.

And- if the gov was out of the school system maybe we could stop the ridiculous stuff that keeps teens babies and then demands they "grow up" immediately at 18.

And, NO, I'm not in favor of 16 yr old know-nothings voting, but saying the two things aren't connected is not looking at the real picture.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    If people are going to be punished as adults then they should also have voting rights.
    Voting isn't a right.

Voting doesn't even make any sense.

Allowing people to vote should be decided on pure consequentialism (look it up, Ender). There is no moral element to it, so there need be, and should be, only one element considered: what policy would bring about the best country? We must hold results paramount, in fact hold them alone and ignore all else. To consider anything else would be nonsensical.

In light of that, our correct course is clear: raise the voting age to 30. Restricting, not expanding the franchise, will: improve the quality of voters, and thus election outcomes, and thus, eventually, of the management of our country, which is being, in case you did not notice: completely mismanaged right now, and for the last fifty years, acceleratingly so.

The young vote extremely poorly. Thus, they should not vote. As they age, they become somewhat wiser; that is when they should be permitted. There are other demographic groups as well who should be early on the chopping block, but I'll let you figure out for yourself which those might be.

What policy would bring about the best country? The best results? That's all we should care about here.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    OTOH, their parents consume copious amounts of mood and mind-altering pharma drugs while eating disgusting food and not exercising. $#@! it, nobody votes anymore till they can prove they're sane and competent.
    A BMI maximum threshold would do wonders for us. What should we set it at, HB?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Are 6 yo tried as adults?
    So much freedom- we can put you in jail for victimless crimes but you have no voice in it.

This is the same logic that will support an 18 year old joining the military but won't allow them to drink.

And- if the gov was out of the school system maybe we could stop the ridiculous stuff that keeps teens babies and then demands they "grow up" immediately at 18.

And, NO, I'm not in favor of 16 yr old know-nothings voting, but saying the two things aren't connected is not looking at the real picture.
    The two things have nothing to do with eachother, 16 year olds are old enough to be fully responsible for heinous crimes like murder but they are not mature enough to determine government policy.
    If you think they shouldn't be tried as adults for some or any crimes it still has nothing to do with letting them vote, we can possibly change what if any crimes they are tried as an adult for but giving them the vote is simply unthinkable.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Non-Citizens can be charged for crimes here. So they should be able to vote here too.

Except for Texans.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-18-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I support this measure. Voting is a natural born right, upon which all other rights are founded upon.

Except for Mexicans.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

People who use more tax money than they create shouldn't vote.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    A BMI maximum threshold would do wonders for us. What should we set it at, HB?
    Doubt it, as BMI doesn't correlate with healthy body composition too well. (elite bodybuilders would be considered obese using BMI (Bodybuilding-era Arnold Schwarzanegger's BMI was 30.9) I would be more interested in stuff like body fat and muscle %.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

So 16 is mature enough to be able to select the system of overlords, but still too immature and stupid to be able to drink a beer, carry a handgun, buy any firearm, get a tattoo, buy tobacco, enter a enforceable contract, make their own legal decisions, get married without parental consent, get a driver's license without parental consent, serve alcohol, get a liquor license, watch a rated R, NC-17 or X movie, work in a variety of hazardous occupations, work certain nighttime hours, .....
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Voting isn't a right.

Voting doesn't even make any sense.

Allowing people to vote should be decided on pure consequentialism (look it up, Ender). There is no moral element to it, so there need be, and should be, only one element considered: what policy would bring about the best country? We must hold results paramount, in fact hold them alone and ignore all else. To consider anything else would be nonsensical.

In light of that, our correct course is clear: raise the voting age to 30. Restricting, not expanding the franchise, will: improve the quality of voters, and thus election outcomes, and thus, eventually, of the management of our country, which is being, in case you did not notice: completely mismanaged right now, and for the last fifty years, acceleratingly so.

The young vote extremely poorly. Thus, they should not vote. As they age, they become somewhat wiser; that is when they should be permitted. There are other demographic groups as well who should be early on the chopping block, but I'll let you figure out for yourself which those might be.

What policy would bring about the best country? The best results? That's all we should care about here.
    I agree, although I'd rather have some sort of system that only allows taxpayers to vote and not welfare recipients.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Yesssss!!!!!!!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about we start with people directly employed by the Federal Government and maybe people working for government contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How about we start with people directly employed by the Federal Government and maybe people working for government contractors?
    I wish us luck.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I wish us luck.
    How about people with security clearance? They have unfair advantage over most of us by knowing things we don't. This should provide an incentive for them to get their $#@! together.

People who propose things like this are trying to take advantage (they think it is to their own advantage). They know that young and naive go together. It's an easier group to manipulate. It's why the age to go to war is so low. All hormones, no experience, ignorance of the way the world works, little regard for consequences.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Doubt it, as BMI doesn't correlate with healthy body composition too well. (elite bodybuilders would be considered obese using BMI (Bodybuilding-era Arnold Schwarzanegger's BMI was 30.9) I would be more interested in stuff like body fat and muscle %.
    Sorry, I'm not using the right terminology. I just meant percentage of body fat. I thought that's what BMI meant; clearly was wrong.

So what's the too-fat cut-off? 15%? We'll have two different numbers, one for men and one for women, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    People who propose things like this are trying to take advantage (they think it is to their own advantage).
    It blatantly and unconcealedly is to their advantage. Well, to their ideological team's advantage. Voting age lowering from 21 to 18 created 5 million Democrat voters, net. Or something like that.

So.... OK. It's pretty clear who ought to support this (the r-selected), and who shouldn't (the K-selected).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast