Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SouthWest flight suffers catastrophic engine failure enroute to NYC

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    But Skully got accolades (and deserved them IMHO) for his crash landing into the Hudson. Yet a woman does an smooth landing on one engine and it pffft.
    An airplane with half its engines is an underpowered airplane. An airplane with none of its engines (as opposed to a glider, which is not the same thing) is a brick.

That's, like, physics.

Bringing down a brick without killing anyone is a slightly more remarkable achievement. Pilots bring down aircraft with one engine out often. None of them have gotten the attention Sullenberger got--regardless of race, creed, color or gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    An airplane with half its engines is an underpowered airplane. An airplane with none of its engines (as opposed to a glider, which is not the same thing) is a brick.

That's, like, physics.

Bringing down a brick without killing anyone is a slightly more remarkable achievement. Pilots bring down aircraft with one engine out often. None of them have gotten the attention Sullenberger got--regardless of race, creed, color or gender.
    Yeah I get it! My response was to AF for a reason. I have pilots in my family.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    How is a brick with wings different than a glider?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Explains why it blew up.

Because men.....here's a picture from her AF days:

(edited: By AF, i meant Air Force.)

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Because men.....here's a picture from her AF days:

(edited: By AF, i meant Air Force.)
    What years did she serve in the Air Force? We used to have higher standards when I first started.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What years did she serve in the Air Force? We used to have higher standards when I first started.
    Dude we're old.
    Tammie Jo Shults, who was reportedly at the controls of Flight 1380 during the April 17 in-flight emergency, was one of the Navy’s first F/A-18 Hornet pilots and left the service in 1993 as a lieutenant commander, the Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Dude we're old.

That's not the Air Force. Navy has much lower standards.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

That's not the Air Force. Navy has much lower standards.
    I cannot argue about anything in that statement. I hate that.

Woman sucked out of Southwest plane window 'was wearing seatbelt'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-sucked-southwest-plane-window-091215213.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Southwest Airlines mechanics union warned of too much outsourcing of maintenance work

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3943751

In a Feb. 26 email, Bret Oestreich, the national director of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, cautioned Southwest Airlines Chief Operating Officer Mike van de Ven that there was too much outsourcing of maintenance work.
    The head of the mechanics union warned that 75% of the maintenance work was farmed out to third-party vendors, according to the Chicago Business Journal.
    “The truth is there exists a serious concern regarding the degradation of safety within Southwest’s maintenance program as determined by the Federal Aviation Administration,” the labor leader wrote. “The truth is sometimes difficult to digest and accept. In addition, the view from the top you enjoy as chief operating officer may be breathtaking, but the distance from the high perch which you sit up on to day-to-day operations has obviously blurred your perception of reality.”
    Passengers on Southwest flight didn't use oxygen masks correctly
    The mechanics union is currently in contract negotiations with Southwest, a fact that van de Ven suggested was behind Oestreich’s warning, according to the business journal.
    “You would be derelict in your duties as a chief operating officer were you to continue with the ostrich-like head-in-the-sand approach to the serious problems that exist within our maintenance program and culture,” the union chief wrote.
    At the beginning of April, the Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO report found that nearly a quarter of aircraft maintenance was done offshore in foreign maintenance bays.

“The dangerous dirty secret of the airline industry is their use of low paid mechanics in foreign countries to maintain passenger aircraft,” said John Samuelsen, president of the national Transport Workers Union. “It is a fact that Southwest and many other United States' airlines have overhaul work done overseas by mechanics who are not required to meet the stringent standards and requirements adhered to inside the United States. It's the ultimate example of a ‘profits before people’ business plan and it has created a clear and present danger to America's air travelers.”
    Southwest pilot 'hero' once rejected from Air Force
    Southwest Airlines also opposed a recommendation last year to inspect fan blades like the one that caused an engine failure, leaving one passenger dead Tuesday.
    Shrapnel from a Southwest Airlines engine shattered a window, resulting in the death of a woman who was partially sucked out of the plane.

(MARTY MARTINEZ/AP)

Engine-maker CFM had proposed safety checks on its engines last June after a fan blade separated from a Southwest engine in August 2016, federal documents show.
    That plane also made an emergency landing after debris from the engine tore a foot-long hole above the plane’s left wing.
    Investigators found that the fan blades showed signs of metal fatigue.
    Pa. residents asked to look for pieces of broken Southwest engine
    The FAA proposed making CFM’s recommendation mandatory in August but never issued a directive.
    The Dallas-based carrier pushed back on the recommendation, saying it needed more time to complete the checks.
    “SWA does NOT support the CFM comment on reducing compliance time to 12 months,” Southwest Airlines wrote in a comment about the proposed rule.
    CFM told the Daily News that Southwest had complied with two service bulletins issued in 2017.
    Nurse recalls effort to save killed Southwest passenger
    The National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday that fatigue cracks were found on the inside of the fan blade that broke on Southwest Flight 1380.
    One dead after Southwest Airlines plane engine fails, explodes mid-flight

Passenger Jennifer Riordan died after she was partially sucked out a window that had been bashed by shrapnel from the engine.
    Southwest said Tuesday that it would move to complete inspections within 30 days.
    The FAA said Wednesday that it would order the inspection of some CFM jet engines following the deadly incident — which marked the first death in a U.S. commercial aviation accident since 2009.
    The FAA mandate will require inspections of CFM56-7B engines that have flown a certain number of times.
    Experts suggest that Southwest Airlines’ shorter flight cycles could be to blame for the wear and tear on the fan blades.
    It’s unclear exactly how many engines will require inspection, but it’s expected to be more than the FAA’s initial estimate of 220 engines.
    Former NTSB chairman Mark Rosekind said the safety board will investigate why the FAA never required the inspections it had proposed in August 2017.
    “There did not seem to be an urgency” at the FAA to finalize the inspections, he said.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    THE DISTURBING TRUTH ABOUT HOW AIRPLANES ARE MAINTAINED TODAY

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/airplane-maintenance-disturbing-truth
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Southwest cancelled one percent or 40 flights to do engine inspections on Sunday .

She got out of the Navy two years after the first Gulf I think . I got out as soon as we got back in '91 I think .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    She got out of the Navy two years after the first Gulf I think . I got out as soon as we got back in '91 I think .

How the heck did you slip in? Probably some quota system like her.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

How the heck did you slip in? Probably some quota system like her.
    Nah , there were no quotas for the jobs I had . Pretty low reenlistment rates too , thus the bonuses . I think one guy from my graduating class from my first , what they call an MOS now actually put in 20 years in that MOS . He is down in Del Rio Texas , a retired SFC . All the others that did more than one enlistment were killed I think .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12