Thread: Syria and the Revolt of the ‘Deplorables’

Syria and the Revolt of the ‘Deplorables’

Syria and the Revolt of the ‘Deplorables’
    Trump bombs his base
    by Justin Raimondo - April 16, 2018

While the left hails the Trumpist turn toward “humanitarian intervention,” the right is increasingly “isolationist,” i.e., committed to a policy of minding our own damned business and solving our many problems right here at home. This is the opening I’ve been talking about for many years, the great switching of polarities that occurs every 40 years or so: and now it is upon us, brought about by an accidental figure – Trump – who nevertheless unleashed forces he neither understands nor controls.

Those forces – a populist movement that has rallied to the banner of “America First” – are a mass movement that rejects the Empire and longs to restore our old republic. They reject neoconservatism and the old leadership of the GOP, which is interventionist to its rotten core, which is why they put Trump in the White House.
    The “deplorables” had to go through this betrayal before they could begin to understand the real nature of US foreign policy – and the fact that the War Party is their greatest enemy. The virtue-signaling Beltway “libertarians,” who are even now jumping on the anti-Russian cold war bandwagon – and refusing to challenge the evidence-free claims of the US government and its British allies – are clueless as usual. They don’t care to dirty their pristine hands by joining with the Trump voters of flyover country: they’re concerned exclusively with impressing their Washington cronies with how “woke” they are – not at all like those Ron Paul-loving hillbillies!

The Beltway quasi-libertarians never cared about building a grassroots movement: they just wanted to build a box-like monstrosity of a glass-and-steel headquarters in order to impress their donors and the Washington Post. It’s a monument to their towering self-regard.

I’ll never forget during the first Gulf War, meeting – in secret – with Bill Niskanen, a top official of the Cato Institute. We had to meet in secret since I was – and still am – considered persona non grata by those preening worthies. How, he asked me, can we build a movement to oppose the coming war? When I told him we had to ally with and recruit from a growing “isolationist” movement on the right, mentioning Pat Buchanan as a prominent example, he drew back in horror. “Pat Buchanan?!” he said. “Why we can’t have anything to do with him!”

This history is why I’m not at all surprised that those who invoke Niskanen’s name today have totally rejected libertarianism, and have joined with the War Party in rejecting the traditional libertarian opposition to foreign wars, endorsing globalism, and joining hands with the CIA, the FBI, and the NeverTrumpers. And very often being a renegade invites certain rewards, and that is certainly the case with the Niskanenites. Follow the money.

Non-interventionist foreign policy is the first thing defectors from the liberty movement throw overboard in their journey to join the Washington “mainstream.”
    More: https://original.antiwar.com/justin/...e-deplorables/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He did worse than a Mitt Romney flipflop, folks. Seriously said.

It's not a flip flop when he said exactly what he was going to do in his campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    It's not a flip flop when he said exactly what he was going to do in his campaign.
    It was a flip flop. He promised to do everything and to not do everything.

This business of people wailing and gnashing their teeth because, like dannno, they only believed what they wanted to hear, and like dannno, they're getting their noses rubbed in the stuff they didn't want. It's humorous. It's a minor silver lining on a very dark cloud. But it is humorous.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Those forces – a populist movement that has rallied to the banner of “America First” – are a mass movement that rejects the Empire and longs to restore our old republic. They reject neoconservatism and the old leadership of the GOP, which is interventionist to its rotten core, which is why they put Trump in the White House.
    The “deplorables” had to go through this betrayal before they could begin to understand the real nature of US foreign policy – and the fact that the War Party is their greatest enemy. The virtue-signaling Beltway “libertarians,” who are even now jumping on the anti-Russian cold war bandwagon – and refusing to challenge the evidence-free claims of the US government and its British allies – are clueless as usual. They don’t care to dirty their pristine hands by joining with the Trump voters of flyover country: they’re concerned exclusively with impressing their Washington cronies with how “woke” they are – not at all like those Ron Paul-loving hillbillies!

The Beltway quasi-libertarians never cared about building a grassroots movement: they just wanted to build a box-like monstrosity of a glass-and-steel headquarters in order to impress their donors and the Washington Post. It’s a monument to their towering self-regard.
    Raimondo lives in his own bubble bordering on delusion. Step outside the Antiwar/Lew Rockwell section of the Trump movement. Lots of Trump supporters are blindly supporting this intervention, guys like Raimondo and Alex Jones have their own sphere of influence but they do not represent the 10s of millions who voted for Trump. I read a thread on another forum the other day, it was not a specifically political forum but 95% of the members are Trump supporters, of those I'd say 80-90% who voiced their opinion supported the Syria intervention and ridiculed our point of view as tin foil hat. Now, I can't say what the numbers are over all, but just because a bunch of obscure libertarian and paleo con icons decided to throw their votes to Trump does not mean they speak for the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I'd say that 40% of Trump's base is at odds with these strikes. Mostly independents, blue dogs (see Mickey Kaus), paleocons and libertarians. Simply put, he will be wiped out in 2020 if a sizable percentage doesn't come back into the fold. A plurality of the comments at Breitbart and surprisingly Free Republic oppose intervention.

The Boomer Evangelical types will stay with Trump until the warheads hit the shores of America. They are lifers.
    Last edited by AuH20; 04-17-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Raimondo lives in his own bubble bordering on delusion. Step outside the Antiwar/Lew Rockwell section of the Trump movement. Lots of Trump supporters are blindly supporting this intervention, guys like Raimondo and Alex Jones have their own sphere of influence but they do not represent the 10s of millions who voted for Trump. I read a thread on another forum the other day, it was not a specifically political forum but 95% of the members are Trump supporters, of those I'd say 80-90% who voiced their opinion supported the Syria intervention and ridiculed our point of view as tin foil hat. Now, I can't say what the numbers are over all, but just because a bunch of obscure libertarian and paleo con icons decided to throw their votes to Trump does not mean they speak for the masses.
    You're forgetting Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, Michael Savage, Tucker Carlson & others. There are many opposition voices perched in prominent spots in the conservative pundit-sphere. This isn't 2003 by any stretch of the imagination, when there was one lone voice of opposition and that was Pat Buchanan.
    Last edited by AuH20; 04-17-2018 at 10:48 AM.

It was inevitable that the MAGA movement (in all honesty, it should be called the Pitchfork Movement) would eventually detach and divert from the Trump train car. The MAGA core ideas were pulling Trump forward during the latter part of the campaign as opposed to the inverse.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    It was inevitable that the MAGA movement (in all honesty, it should be called the Pitchfork Movement) would eventually detach and divert from the Trump train car. The MAGA core ideas were pulling Trump forward during the latter part of the campaign as opposed to the inverse.
    Considering the Trump campaign coined the catchphrase, "Make America Great Again," and people will forever associate the two, this business of talking about the "MAGA Movement" having a life of its own above and beyond Trump is simply a propaganda trick. It's a way of giving Trump credit for things Trump did not do. Trump tapped an existing attitude, rode it long enough to get elected, then threw the people he was pandering to under the bus. How does this justify essentially renaming the existing movement he manipulated slightly and rode for a little while like a surfer after him?

Why are you here trying to give Trump credit for something he did not do? Why are you here, of all places, trying to give Trump credit for things he did not do when the people here know better than anyone how little Trump had to do with this new wave of thought?

Michael Savage was at Mar-a-Lago a few months back and now he's just ripping into the POTUS daily on twitter. He was especially angered when an administration insider told him that Trump would keep the ban on exotic animal imports, after Savage had sent a letter to him. A day letter, Trump rescinded the ban.

Last edited by AuH20; 04-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Michael Savage was at Mar-a-Lago a few months back and now he's just ripping into the POTUS daily on twitter. He was especially angered when an administration insider told him that Trump would keep the ban on exotic animal imports, after Savage had sent a letter to him. A day letter, Trump rescinded the ban.
    He's just pulling a Beck. Just another tool trying to regain his tattered credibility so he will again be believed when the next election comes around, because without credibility he can't betray us again.

And, of course, you're doing all you can to help. Better you should make the investment in your own tattered credibility. You haven't cussed Trump enough to convince me yet.

You're forgetting Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, Michael Savage, Tucker Carlson & others. There are many opposition voices perched in prominent spots in the conservative pundit-sphere. This isn't 2003 by any stretch of the imagination, when there was one lone voice of opposition and that was Pat Buchanan.
    No I'm not. I appreciate that they are on our side this time but that doesn't make our view the majority view held by Trump supporters.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'd say that 40% of Trump's base is at odds with these strikes. .
    Cernovich did a poll on Twitter that started out with more against. People claim that the poll was subsequently spammed by pro-war people.

https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/sta...40815165014016
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Raimondo
    the right is increasingly “isolationist,” i.e., committed to a policy of minding our own damned business
    Given Trump's nomination, either:

(a) that is not true,

or (b) that is true, but the right is simultaneously too stupid to actually identify a non-interventionist candidate.

Regardless, the "non-interventionist moment" has passed. It's brief rise and fall can be seen in Rand's pre-election polling.

Non-interventionist foreign policy is the first thing defectors from the liberty movement throw overboard in their journey to join the Washington “mainstream.”
    ...says guy who threw Rand Paul overboard to support known interventionist and generally illiberal circus clown Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Yep, and a good part of that delusion is based on a conflation of nationalism and non-interventionism.

There has been a huge increase in nationalist sentiment, party-wide, down on mainstreet; not so with non-interventionism.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 04-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Early signs of revolt had started appearing few months back:

Conservative leader on Trump: 'He's a fraud and has betrayed us twice now'

Did Savage wrote him a letter to bomb Syria also? Or that requires letter from Adelson?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It was a flip flop. He promised to do everything and to not do everything.

This business of people wailing and gnashing their teeth because, like dannno, they only believed what they wanted to hear, and like dannno, they're getting their noses rubbed in the stuff they didn't want. It's humorous. It's a minor silver lining on a very dark cloud. But it is humorous.
    Then it's also a flip flop that he didn't put 30K boots on the ground as suggested in the debates.

I wonder who would be complaining if he did that...
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Cernovich did a poll on Twitter that started out with more against. People claim that the poll was subsequently spammed by pro-war people.

https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/sta...40815165014016
    That doesn't make any sense. That's Farsi, not Arabic.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Given Trump's nomination, either:

(a) that is not true,

or (b) that is true, but the right is simultaneously too stupid to actually identify a non-interventionist candidate.

Regardless, the "non-interventionist moment" has passed. It's brief rise and fall can be seen in Rand's pre-election polling.

...says guy who threw Rand Paul overboard to support known interventionist and generally illiberal circus clown Donald Trump.

Yep, and a good part of that delusion is based on a conflation of nationalism and non-interventionism.

There has been a huge increase in nationalist sentiment, party-wide, down on mainstreet; not so with non-interventionism.
    Cuckservatives want a messiah. They want a fire and brimstone, fist-of-Gawd-warmonger who is going to intervene culturally, economically, and militarily to inaugurate the eschaton which American Christianity has burned into their dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. That's Farsi, not Arabic.
    Didn't you get the memo? PartisanGirl is a Russia Bot...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...poisoning-quot

MSM usually ignores AJ but this caught their attention:

‘They have broken Trump’: Alex Jones and the Trump Internet’s fractured response to the Syria strikes

by Abby Ohlheiser April 15

(Alex Jones Channel on YouTube)
    As the live stream continued, Jones went into an extended, often vulgar and sometimes difficult to follow monologue in which he tried to convey just how upset he was by Trump’s decision to authorize strikes against Syria. Jones, and many others in the Trump-supporting Internet, have long believed a conspiracy theory that chemical attacks in Syria are false flags designed to emotionally manipulate the United States into war.

Jones had his producers put up the headlines about Syria from the Drudge Report. As Jones read them, his voice began to break.

“I just feel like I just had my best girlfriend break up with me,” Jones said. “The left will make jokes, but this ain’t funny, man.”

“He was doing good, and that’s what makes it so bad,” Jones added, after trying to compose himself. “If he’d been a piece of crap from the beginning it wouldn’t be so bad.” At this point, Jones appears to be openly crying.

“We made so many sacrifices, and now he’s crapping all over us. It makes me sick.”

In an impromptu Periscope stream shortly before going live on his YouTube channel Friday night, Jones became another headline: “I’m not in a f—— cult for Donald Trump.”

“I shouldn’t even be live right now,” he said, before unleashing another sentence of expletives. After a couple of calmer (for Jones) sentences, Jones started to yell again: “F— Trump!”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...syria-strikes/

“I haven’t had Trump call me in six months,” Alex Jones said

The face of a cuck.
    Pinochet is the model

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Cuckservatives want a messiah. They want a fire and brimstone, fist-of-Gawd-warmonger who is going to intervene culturally, economically, and militarily to inaugurate the eschaton which American Christianity has burned into their dreams.