Thread: 1040 Line 61 (Health Insurance) - What is the Current Ruling?

1040 Line 61 (Health Insurance) - What is the Current Ruling?

Help?
    Last edited by ivflight; 05-31-2021 at 12:47 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just tell them you were homeless at some pointin the year and get the exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by ivflight View Post
    In previous years the IRS accepted 1040's even if the filer ignored line 61, the one asking if you've had health coverage. I've searched and searched and found only articles from early 2017 indicating that this was the case, but then one of more articles in late 2017 indicating that the IRS would no longer accept returns that did not answer the question. I can't find any recent articles that report on what is actually happening this filing season.

Does anyone know? Have you been able to e-file while leaving the box blank?

His Majesty the God Emperor, double Ds be upon him, did last year bequeath upon us, his miserable subjects, by virtue of his Imperial signature and word, in honor of the year of the beginning of his reign - may it last forever - the boon of not having to pay the health insurance tax.

But lo, what the God Emperor giveth by his hand, he can taketh away by his hand. In honor of the first anniversary of his coronation, he bestowed upon us, the worms crawling in his mighty shadow, a fête of bread and weed, but took away the tax exemption, exchanging one gift for another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    His Majesty the God Emperor, double Ds be upon him, did last year bequeath upon us, his miserable subjects, by virtue of his Imperial signature and word, in honor of the year of the beginning of his reign - may it last forever - the boon of not having to pay the health insurance tax.

But lo, what the God Emperor giveth by his hand, he can taketh away by his hand. In honor of the first anniversary of his coronation, he bestowed upon us, the worms crawling in his mighty shadow, a fête of bread and weed, but took away the tax exemption, exchanging one gift for another.
    Reference? I thought individual mandate was gone. You seem to be saying it came back in January somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Reference? I thought individual mandate was gone. You seem to be saying it came back in January somehow?
    I don't know the answer to the OP's question but the mandate is gone forever next year, I think it was part of the budget.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't know the answer to the OP's question but the mandate is gone forever next year, I think it was part of the budget.
    Wait, so not this year?

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Wait, so not this year?
    I don't know if they are enforcing it but the law didn't kill it till 2019.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm amazed I can't find an answer to this.
    Last edited by ivflight; 05-31-2021 at 12:48 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I doubt if someone who owns half a dozen houses can get away with that...

I'm amazed I can't find an answer to this. I'm still working on my taxes and haven't gotten to efiling yet, so I might not find out until the last minute. Technically, since I'm self-employed and never have a refund, the IRS shouldn't be able to collect any penalty from me, but I'd still rather just ignore the question.

I wonder if I should print it out and mail it in...?
    Yes , I would just print it and mail it .

What would keep them from easily sending you a letter to either "prove" you have insurance or prove you are exempt? You know they're dying to make an example of the little guy.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    What would keep them from easily sending you a letter to either "prove" you have insurance or prove you are exempt? You know they're dying to make an example of the little guy.
    They did send me a letter for past tax years because I didn't answer the question. I ignored it and by law there is really nothing they can do.

I'd say it is a bad idea to lie. I just want to get my return in without answering the question.

They did send me a letter for past tax years because I didn't answer the question. I ignored it and by law there is really nothing they can do.[/

I'd say it is a bad idea to lie. I just want to get my return in without answering the question.

I'm not sure I follow. If you didn't check the box in past years, then why check it this year? What's changed? Wouldn't they regard your return as incomplete?

I'm in the same situation because I don't want health insurance and don't have it. I used to skip things like mandatory insurance in my 20s, but can't do that so much any more.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I doubt if someone who owns half a dozen houses can get away with that...

I'm amazed I can't find an answer to this. I'm still working on my taxes and haven't gotten to efiling yet, so I might not find out until the last minute. Technically, since I'm self-employed and never have a refund, the IRS shouldn't be able to collect any penalty from me, but I'd still rather just ignore the question.

I wonder if I should print it out and mail it in...?
    So you didn't carry health insurance during the year? Or you just don't want to answer that you did?

In previous years the IRS accepted 1040's even if the filer ignored line 61, the one asking if you've had health coverage. I've searched and searched and found only articles from early 2017 indicating that this was the case, but then one of more articles in late 2017 indicating that the IRS would no longer accept returns that did not answer the question. I can't find any recent articles that report on what is actually happening this filing season.

This old thread has some information:

Why are people forgetting about Donald Trump's ACA executive order?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Another relevant old thread:

IRS Won't Reject Tax Returns That Don't Answer Health Insurance Question

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'll let you know in a few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So you didn't carry health insurance during the year? Or you just don't want to answer that you did?
    I didn't have health insurance and therefor don't want to tell them, because I don't want to be harrassed with penalty letters.

I simply didn't answer the question on past years and the IRS didn't do anything. According to an article I read this will not work anymore:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph.../#774a3f5f7d7f

I tried to search further and ask here. Very surprised no one knows the answer to this. Millions of people must use Free File Fillable Forms and I'm guessing some tried not answering line 61.

I'm working on Free File Fillable Forms right now. I noticed the box is highlighted yellow this year. Shortly I'll see if it lets me submit my 1040 without checking anything.

Well, I was able to submit my return and the system didn't yell at me right at that moment. However I do know from past years that the return might be bounced back in 24-48 hours if they find some problem. So I guess I'll just wait and see.

My submission got rejected, for the specific reason of me ignoring line 61. Sigh.

Since I did estimated payments, my taxes this year came out to me getting a $17 refund. I wonder if I could just write $17 as the penalty and resubmit?

Or print it out and mail it, in which case it could still get rejected and maybe I still lose the $17 (which I don't care about).

Sorry I can't help more, IV. Mailing it seems like an OK option.

My submission got rejected, for the specific reason of me ignoring line 61. Sigh.

Since I did estimated payments, my taxes this year came out to me getting a $17 refund. I wonder if I could just write $17 as the penalty and resubmit?

Or print it out and mail it, in which case it could still get rejected and maybe I still lose the $17 (which I don't care about).
    couldn't you just answer yes? The IRS has no way to cross reference a database to confirm you have health insurance. Additionally there have been executive directives to handicap and defund any enforcement related to the requirement.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

I would mail it and see .

Hopefully this one won't get rejected.
    Last edited by ivflight; 05-31-2021 at 12:51 AM.

Lo, but I doth toldst thou so.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lo, but I doth toldst thou so.
    Yeah you can knock that $#@! off right now, thanks.

So I actually just resubmitted it with form 8965 indicating an affordability exemption. That seemed like the easier way out since now the burden is on them to prove that it was affordable. That is a much greater burden than having them ask me to prove I had insurance if I'd answered 'yes'.

Hopefully this one won't get rejected.
    I somehow doubt it will be hard for them to determine if they think you should afford it by the income you turn in roughly .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I somehow doubt it will be hard for them to determine if they think you should afford it by the income you turn in roughly .
    They would have to know what I was quoted by the marketplace.