Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks in hot water for having cops remove two black men from Philly store

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I agree with you on the important part that there shouldn't be any govt sanctions and your right to boycott. Are you consistent on this? Are you against discrimination laws in general? Should Starbucks be permitted to sell to "whites only"?
    I try my best to be consistent and yes I think starbucks should be permitted to sell to whites only. I am not going to like it but its not my business and they are free to run it the way they choose to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Well when you say something intelligent maybe I will trust when you say somebody else doesn't say anything intelligent..

The guy laid it out, the manager asked them to buy something or leave, they refused to buy something. The cops came and said they were free to go, but they refused to buy something or leave. They were on private property, it had nothing to do with them being black. It had to do with their attitude, how they were acting, and the fact that they hadn't purchased anything.

Starbucks doesn't mind people in their store who don't buy $#@! if they aren't bothering other people.
    At least we can agree that neither one of us is saying anything intelligent or meaningful. The is the only time we have agree on anything in years now. This is good

I know starbucks doesn't mind people coming to their store and not buying anything. I have done it myself in the past and wasn't kicked out. So I am still wondering why they decided to enforce this rule and kick them out.

The black guy's story

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I know starbucks doesn't mind people coming to their store and not buying anything. I have done it myself in the past and wasn't kicked out. So I am still wondering why they decided to enforce this rule and kick them out.
    ...and you're black. Which sort of proves our point.

Maybe it was because you acted like you belonged there, you weren't bothering other customers - you were helping their customers study.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

...and you're black. Which sort of proves our point.

Maybe it was because you acted like you belonged there, you weren't bothering other customers - you were helping their customers study.
    Or maybe the manager that day in Philadelphia was on her period . Just kidding. But usually most starbucks works are the hippie type, chill, tree hugging liberal, I think this one may have been cut from a different cloth, a no nonsense, by the books, straight laced ........ Trump supporter (j/k ). Which I why I am surprised they were kicked out.

Btw, there is no evidence that I have seen or heard(not counting you or Stefan) that showed that they were acting out in the time they were in the store. Just that one tried to use the restroom and was told he had to buy something to use it. He did not buy anything so the employee started the removal process leading to police being called.

According to the black guys.

I try my best to be consistent and yes I think starbucks should be permitted to sell to whites only. I am not going to like it but its not my business and they are free to run it the way they choose to.
    I agree. I think the best response is an organized boycott if you think there was racism.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think that is already part of their business plan, dunno if starbucks is run the same way here in Omaha as it is done in Philadelphia. Anyway, when I was in college, we would go to starbucks to do some school projects when we couldn't all meet in school. Ofc, we were all broke college students and the plan was always to just to use wifi and then go home. But and a big butt, most people ended up buying coffee or some pastry with the cc. Its not easy to resist the smell of starbucks coffee.

And actually, sometime nobody buys anything at all. I think the gamble(not dilemma) is that they must have calculated that not many people will come in and not buy anything. These were 2 people(even if you believe 100% that they weren't going to buy anything) in the restaurant for 10 mins waiting to meeting what I presume is a paying customer, there was no need to kick em out. It is one thing if they've been in the store for hours without buying anything and then you applying this very unknown rule on them.

My worry is that it seems like they acted a bit too quickly and applied this rule to them alone and that really worries me.
    From what I've read each Starbucks has it's own policy. My guess is the ones in big cities and bad neighborhoods tend to have stricter rules.

The black guy's story

Lawyer? haha

Setup.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Should Starbucks be permitted to sell to "whites only"?
    And that is the bottom line..

The right to run a RACIST business. The right to refuse inferior races.

Open to the public is open to everyone... either that or go to a Whites Only Club.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I sure hope their long term "real estate" deal doesn't suffer because of this...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

abc "News". did anyone listen to the language they used? This is not about Starbucks or this phony incident.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

You just said your sisters owned bars/businesses and had to kick people out for misbehaving.
    For reason... and good reason before it came to that.
    They did not throw them out for being Black,, or Cuban or Haitian.. They were handled the same.

You don't make money in a bar by not selling drinks. and you handle drunks..You manage the problem..

And the drunk buys more tomorrow. Losing customers is losing money.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I know what a catch 22 is. What would have been the downside of not calling the cops?
    Actually, I was talking about Starbucks' situation now.

If they apologize they lose; if they don't apologize they lose.

There is no way to fix this w/o a lot of backstabbing/name-calling/lies/innuendoes coming from either side, depending on how it's handled. Someone will always strive to be offended.

My personal experience with Starbucks has always been good- a performing group I was in as a kid performed there a lot & we were always treated well- and we were a mixture of races.
    There is no spoon.

What a moron. The guy says hes all for fairness and then is OK with the fact that they kicked out a potential customer 10 mins after their arrival because they choose to enforce a rule that they rarely enforced.
    Do we know that it was really only 10 minutes? Do we really know any facts in this case? What we seem to know, they were asked to leave repeatedly, and they didn't.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, because you're not exactly splaining your position. I just took a guess.
    LOL- thanks for understand my humor/sarcasm.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Oh, and based on your avatar: Your hair wants cutting.
    But that's why you have the hots for me & follow me around.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    For reason... and good reason before it came to that.
    They did not throw them out for being Black,, or Cuban or Haitian.. They were handled the same.

You don't make money in a bar by not selling drinks. and you handle drunks..You manage the problem..

And the drunk buys more tomorrow. Losing customers is losing money.
    Not the point.. the point is, if your sister kicked a black person out, not for being black, but for bad behavior - and they were accused of kicking them out for being black and your sister was murdered for that, how would you feel about that?

The fact is it is hard to know why somebody kicks somebody out of their place of business, unless you start policing people's thoughts - unless of course they say that is why they did it or it is a regular occurrence and they built up a track record maybe.. But this was a single occurrence.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-19-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I have been involved in throwing people off aircraft. It was the Captain's call not mine. But I understood their reasoning. Me personally, I am fairly lenient. Travel these days can be stressful...and people drink, or on meds, etc.

Problem is a catch 22 sometimes, don't intervene after a flight attendant brings it to our attention, take no action, then it becomes a problem inflight...who are they gonna look at for brushing it off as innocent juvenile behavior? Plus not backing up your crew? That can have safety consequences later too. Federal Regulations are we are not to allow anyone "impaired". , drunk, etc. on our aircraft.

A longtime ago, a very drunk passenger was in the gate area on another airline I was trying to hitch a ride on. I brought it up to the Captain. He didn't seem to care. Now think of the jeopardy he just put himself in if anything happened later and he was told about that passenger by a fellow pilot. I kinda look the other way now if it is not my company. Sargent Schultz, unless it is too obvious to ignore, or it is AF, an Injun or a Nigerian.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have been involved in throwing people off aircraft.
    Hmm. I didn't know that you are a racist.

But this was a single occurrence.
    No,, it is not.
    If it was a single occurrence it would have no legs regardless of hype and Starbucks would have shrugged it off.

It is several problems converging,,, and the concept of race is center stage.,, like it or not. (I don't personally)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I keep seeing this so called free world looking more and more like the prison I got out of...

Right back to fighting with Aryan crowd.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Hmm. I didn't know that you are a racist.
    Mulattos are always a conundrum for me.

Sometimes they seem to have more white heritage than black. Those are difficult situations, am I justified in kicking off the obviously more white ones? Keeps me up late at night many times doubting.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-19-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by dannno; 04-19-2018 at 08:54 PM.

I feel like AF
    Last edited by dannno; 04-19-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Have we wasted enough time on this distraction yet?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I keep seeing this so called free world looking more and more like the prison I got out of...

Right back to fighting with Aryan crowd.
    This is your idea of the Aryan crowd??

I have never, to my knowledge, met a white supremacist in my entire life.. and my friend circle, since I was very young, until now, has been overly represented by minorities.

Starbucks is not the "borg". They are coffee shops. I know people who have worked there. When I said that was the first incident, I meant at that store. That manager had never had a prior incident or a history of making these decisions solely based on race. The one you pointed out wasn't very good evidence because there was no camera at the store when everything went down, only after the fact. Stores are under no obligation to allow you to use the restroom unless you are a customer acting in a reasonable manner. They may choose to allow people who are seem conducive to the atmosphere to use the restroom if they are unsure of their present or future customer status, regardless of their race, but may not allow people who are not conducive, regardless of their race. So a black guy could walk in and they might let him use the restroom, and then a scraggly white guy who looks homeless might walk in and maybe they don't. Which sucks, but it isn't their responsibility to take care of all the homeless in town. And it's really unfair to judge their individual decisions without all of the evidence or without some sort of history.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.

// dude something is wrong with edit posts

And that is the bottom line..

The right to run a RACIST business. The right to refuse inferior races.

Open to the public is open to everyone... either that or go to a Whites Only Club.
    Bullcrap. In a free society the owner of the business retains the right to decide who he does business with. The correct term for what you are describing is fascism. That's where private parties are supposedly allowed to "own" a business but the government tells them how to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have been involved in throwing people off aircraft. It was the Captain's call not mine. But I understood their reasoning. Me personally, I am fairly lenient. Travel these days can be stressful...and people drink, or on meds, etc.

Problem is a catch 22 sometimes, don't intervene after a flight attendant brings it to our attention, take no action, then it becomes a problem inflight...who are they gonna look at for brushing it off as innocent juvenile behavior? Plus not backing up your crew? That can have safety consequences later too. Federal Regulations are we are not to allow anyone "impaired". , drunk, etc. on our aircraft.

A longtime ago, a very drunk passenger was in the gate area on another airline I was trying to hitch a ride on. I brought it up to the Captain. He didn't seem to care. Now think of the jeopardy he just put himself in if anything happened later and he was told about that passenger by a fellow pilot. I kinda look the other way now if it is not my company. Sargent Schultz, unless it is too obvious to ignore, or it is AF, an Injun or a Nigerian.
    I have been intoxicated while flying but nobody would know . I like to nap . I did not know they let Nigerians on , I assumed they were all on the no fly list .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have been intoxicated while flying but nobody would know .
    Because you always act that way?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast