Thread: SouthWest flight into New Orleans turns into pukefest amid severe turbulance

Exclamation SouthWest flight into New Orleans turns into pukefest amid severe turbulance

Poor route planning if you ask me.

I would have requested alternate routing south, over the water.

Less air mass heating, less turbulence, more maneuvering room.

Passengers scream and cry and at least one vomits during terrifying Southwest Airlines plane landing in severe weather

Southwest Airlines Flight 3461 flew from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans
    As the flight approached landing, severe weather forced pilot to reroute plane
    Passengers were screaming, crying, and vomiting as plane swayed violently
    Thunderstorms, tornado watches, strong winds were pounding the area
    The plane made a refueling stop in Panama City, Florida before landing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz5CmCSTfZS

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Danke strikes again.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Poor route planning if you ask me.

I would have requested alternate routing south, over the water.

Less air mass heating, less turbulence, more maneuvering room.

Passengers scream and cry and at least one vomits during terrifying Southwest Airlines plane landing in severe weather

Southwest Airlines Flight 3461 flew from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans
    As the flight approached landing, severe weather forced pilot to reroute plane
    Passengers were screaming, crying, and vomiting as plane swayed violently
    Thunderstorms, tornado watches, strong winds were pounding the area
    The plane made a refueling stop in Panama City, Florida before landing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz5CmCSTfZS

What you are looking at is not this incident. That is a later flight after the abandoned approach into MSY (New Orleans) and divert into ECP (Panama City). and that shows the past flight path, but the current weather. They got sick on the original flight from FLL (Fort Lauderdale) to MSY.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-15-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    @Danke strikes again.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

This was their original routing and first flight:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...325Z/KFLL/KECP

Stupidly, they descended right on the edge of the front and tried landing in it. They should have held, or gone around/above it, or landed in front of it and waited for it to pass.

This crew should get their ass kicked for poor ADM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    This was their original routing and first flight:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...325Z/KFLL/KECP

Stupidly, they descended right on the edge of the front and tried landing in it. They should have held, or gone around/above it, or landed in front of it and waited for it to pass.

This crew should get their ass kicked for poor ADM.

You should know better by now. That is also a picture of the flight path that had already been accomplished, but the snap shot shows weather after the had already diverted and landed at ECP.

And apparently they did hold for a while before diverting:

"Flight 3461 from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans arrived about four hours behind schedule after persistent thunderstorms over New Orleans forced prolonged holding near New Orleans awaiting clearance from air traffic controllers followed by a refueling stop divert to Panama City before the completion of the journey."

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

ADM (Aeronautical Decision Making)

now with crews, not single pilot planes, we call it
    crew resource management (CRM).

I have over 40 years flying, 10+ years in single pilot high performance aircraft in the military. Instructed in both worlds.

I know what large and small aircraft can safely accomplish. Southwest is somewhat of a "cowboy" airline, lots of ex military fighter pilots, like me. I bet many of the older guys mentor the new ones without that experience.

But I can assure you they have many top line pilots, knowing the performance capability of their 737 aircraft. It is the only aircraft they fly. At least before the merger with Value Jet.

I wish a lot of non-military pilots would go out of their way to take acrobat training so they can understand better how aircrafts' handles. Many civilian pilots are clueless. I have seen it first hand.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Some passengers got sick, but many would probably complain if they never Made it to their final destination. They did, but 4 hour after schedule. All safe because the pilots decided to divert. They tried to get there as scheduled, but that didn't work out. Sorry a few got air sickness. Take a bus next time.

We always try to give the smoothest ride. Areas in the south like New Orleans are difficult.

Lucky now I fly a lot over the Pole, always smooth. Until we get into southern China or around Japan.

My recommendation, relay. Turbulence is not a big deal with modern aircraft. They can handle stresses much greater than what Mother Nature can throw at us. If it gets really bad, we change course and/of altitude.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-15-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    But I can assure you they have many top line pilots, knowing the performance capability of their 737 aircraft. It is the only aircraft they fly. At least before the merger with Value Jet.
    If I'm not mistaken, they still have an all 737 fleet. I just flew them last month for the first time. All in all not a bad experience, my single biggest gripe is that non assigned seating business. I'm a big man, there are only a few places on a standard seating 737 I can fit comfortably.

I wish a lot of non-military pilots would go out of their way to take acrobat training so they can understand better how aircrafts' handles. Many civilian pilots are clueless. I have seen it first hand.
    That ranks in the top ten of my life experiences.

I can't even imagine what flying a 16 must be like.

Flew/trained aerobatic in these three:

North American T-28 in Navy trainer configuration

Citabria Champion

Pitts S2B
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-15-2018 at 11:39 PM.

I thought all airlines furnish puke bags in the seat pockets.