Thread: People are trying to hoard Necco Wafers amid reports of the company’s demise

People are trying to hoard Necco Wafers amid reports of the company’s demise

Nobody was buying so the company is talking about shutting down. Upon word they may be shutting down, people are starting to buy them. The formula for the candy hasn't changed since the Civil War. Their long shelf life and "near indestructibility" led them to be carried by soldiers in the Civil War and the first World War as well as the Spanish American War.

For as much as people seem to enjoy hating on Necco, the 170-year-old Revere-based confectioner is reportedly having a “moment.”

According to the Wall Street Journal, Necco fans are scrambling to stockpile the company’s products, including its chalky Wafers, amid the reports that the country’s “oldest continuously operating candy company” may shut down its Revere plant and lay off the vast majority of its employees. For candy stores and wholesalers across the country, the panic has resulted in a surge in sales.

“They’re shocked and scared,” Jon Prince, the president of wholesaler CandyFavorites.com in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, told the Journal. “They’re not happy about it.”

Prince reportedly fielded hundreds of calls from customers, including from some who wanted to buy his entire inventory of Necco Wafers, and had to place limits on individual purchases.

Short for New England Confectionary Company, Necco has long been central to the Boston area’s storied history of popular, if divisive, sweets. Necco isn’t solely about its namesake wafer. The company also sells other nostalgic products, including Mary Janes, Sky Bars, and the popular heart-shaped Valentine’s Day candy, Sweethearts.

However, Necco Wafers — though invariably described as tasting like anything from “drywall” to “stale Tums” — appear to be the product that invokes the strongest response from candy connoisseurs.

The Los Angeles-based CandyStore.com says it received an offer from a woman who wanted to trade her used 2003 Honda Accord for their entire stock of wafers. In a post on the company’s website, spokeswoman Clair Robins said they offer was declined, but the woman “ended up buying a couple boxes on her credit card anyway.”

The Boston Globe reported last month that Necco CEO Michael McGee wrote a letter to Revere Mayor Brian Arrigo, warning that the candy-maker may be forced to close its plant and make mass layoffs as soon as next month if it can’t find a buyer. According to Boston Business Journal, the company has defaulted on more than $100 million in loans and may be headed toward bankruptcy.

According to CandyStore.com, the Globe report coincided with a 50 percent increase in overall Necco sales, including a 63 percent surge for Necco Wafers. The company also reported 253 phone calls and 167 emails inquiring about Necco candies, “many trying to secure large bulk quantities.”

“A clear signal of panic-buying,” Robins wrote.

Necco did not immediately respond to requests for comment Monday.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I had any I would trade them for something useful like shotgun or rifle shells .

Looks to me like another bunch of Harvard educated MBA $#@!ing geniuses ran the company right into the dirt.

Just like they did to mine.

Swept in at the behest of past management into a business they knew nothing about and took a $1.5 billion cash surplus and turned it into bankruptcy in five years.

$#@!ing egghead $#@!s.

They probably would have sold more of them if they had mentioned that they were gluten free.

Say goodbye to Squirrel Nut Zippers too.

The candy, not the band.

(Not the "official" video...for some reason the sound quality on that is potato. This one is much better.)

I used all Necco wafer colors in one of my first houses. Looked pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Looks to me like another bunch of Harvard educated MBA $#@!ing geniuses ran the company right into the dirt.

Just like they did to mine.

Swept in at the behest of past management into a business they knew nothing about and took a $1.5 billion cash surplus and turned it into bankruptcy in five years.

$#@!ing egghead $#@!s.
    Every industry under the sun.....

Good thing is we can feed the suits to the hogs and eat well when it all comes crashing down...

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If I had any I would trade them for something useful like shotgun or rifle shells .
    They might be repurposed for ammo.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a very odd and tasty candy. It was a favorite for me at the movies when I was little. I love the licorice ones.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Just picked up two (24 count) boxes of them from the local Dollar General for $40 total. I'll put them in an ammo can with some desiccant and that should be enough to last the rest of my life.

Thanks for the heads up Zippy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Just picked up two (24 count) boxes of them from the local Dollar General for $40 total. I'll put them in an ammo can with some desiccant and that should be enough to last the rest of my life.

Thanks for the heads up Zippy.
    Yeah , those will outlast us .
    Do something Danke

Necco Wafers make their triumphant return 2 years after the factory that made them closed its doors
    Sun May 31, 2020
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/31/busin...rnd/index.html

Necco back.

Zip still gone.

Life is grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members