Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Men Are Wearing Makeup Than You Think—Here’s Why

Exclamation More Men Are Wearing Makeup Than You Think—Here’s Why

More Men Are Wearing Makeup Than You Think—Here’s Why

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-me...why-1523626771

Once taboo, tools like concealer and bronzer have found their way into guys’ grooming kits. Our conflicted writer tests it all out—and finds arguments in favor of putting on a face

April 13, 2018 9:39 a.m. ET

LAST AUGUST headlines blasted that French president Emmanuel Macron had spent approximately $30,000 on a personal makeup artist during his first three months in office. That’s about $330 a day. On makeup. For a man. (The Élysée did not respond to requests for comments on this matter.) Although male politicians and TV anchors have long used makeup for public appearances, Mr. Macron’s eyebrow-raising budget (and tawny, photogenic face) sent a message that powerful men are going to great lengths to look their best. But even among non-heads of state, the once-absurd notion that makeup can reasonably be part of a man’s grooming routine is slowly shedding its punchline status.

Just ask footballer David Beckham, whose new men’s grooming line, House 99, includes an eye balm and a face moisturizer, gateway drugs to the expanding universe of male primping. On the website of New York-based cosmetics brand Milk Makeup, 13% of customers are now men. At Bluemercury, a skin-care chain with over 170 stores, 20% of its shoppers pack a Y-chromosome. And they’re not just coming in for shaving cream: Men are increasingly buying concealers, bronzers and tinted moisturizers there. Later this year, Bluemercury will launch its own men’s makeup line.

This isn’t the first time gentlemen have brandished makeup brushes. In early-aughts America, emo bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy sported “guyliner,” inspiring angsty young men to steal their mothers’ eyeliner. In 1970s and ’80s London, following the lead of David Bowie and Boy George, male new wavers sidled up to the cosmetics counter for powder and mascara. Going further back, to 17th-century France, some historians claim it was men, perhaps more often than women, who pancaked their cheeks.

Despite these antecedents, it’s fair to wager that today most men think wearing makeup is just too image-conscious to be masculine. In high school I had terrible acne, but I never thought to wear makeup. The idea of a teen boy with makeup stashed in his locker was too embarrassing to fathom; it was better to be seen as acne-ridden than concealer-covered. As Hayden Cohen, a 24-year-old digital marketing manager from Boston said, “When men think of makeup they relate it to femininity, so a lot of men are way too ego-driven and ‘I’m so masculine’ to even consider it.”

Lisa Eldridge, a London-based makeup artist and author of “Face Paint: The Story of Makeup,” noted that women have an incredible arsenal of products at their disposal to compensate for late nights and bad skin. Of being without that option, she said, “I always felt kind of sorry for guys. There’s always been such a stigma.”

For many millennials, that stigma is passe, and a band of progressive men is working diligently to shred it. Confident vloggers on YouTube earn millions of views with tutorials on how to deftly daub on a full-face look. In 2016, CoverGirl announced its first male brand representative, then-17-year-old vlogger James Charles. In joining the ranks of models like Christie Brinkley as a face of CoverGirl in global advertising, Mr. Charles is putting a somewhat more masculine face on the decades-old American brand.

How-to videos about multi-product contouring and CoverGirl ads showing young men in eye shadow might portray a culture shift, but the real-life shift is much more incremental, at least in the experience of Dr. Bradley Glodny, a New York-based dermatologist who’s seen an uptick in men’s inquiring about makeup over the past two years. “There aren’t many people coming in asking, ‘Can I wear a full face of makeup?’” he said. “It’s more subtle.” He recommends concealer and tinted moisturizers with SPF to male patients as a nonintrusive, impermanent way for them to conceal skin issues.

Daniel Mollino, 34, a part-time lobbyist in Ringwood, N.J., uses makeup to softly conceal some scars on his face and his post-shave skin splotches. A BareMinerals foundation, he said, “smooths out the face and gives a more professional look.” He applies foundation before business meetings, date nights with his wife, “nice functions” like weddings, or anywhere he thinks photos might be taken.

Which could be anywhere these days, with the constant photo documentation of our lives via smartphones, and those photos’ immortalization on social media. And whether in phone selfies or the mirror, men are seeing the strain of busy schedules on their faces. Late nights at the office left Ernest James, CEO of digital influencer agency Noire Mgmt. in New York City, looking “like a raccoon,” so he turned to Sephora concealer. “It’s the best thing ever,” said the 32-year-old of the boost in confidence that came with covering up his dark circles.

Mr. James made makeup sound like such an easy fix that I began to wonder if I had been wrong to write it off as a teen. With more men dabbing on concealer after rolling on deodorant, I decided to join them and try makeup for one week, even though my skin problems are (mostly) a thing of the past. My goal wasn’t to change anything drastically. I wanted my own face, just better.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing new under the sun...

I have been working on a line for Danke so he will not be so pale when the apocalypse comes and we are at war against the commies . He will blend into the earth as a great warrior like myself .Looks like the best so far is a blend of mud and chicken poop . Danke is lucky to have me looking after him .
    Do something Danke

"Gallon a minute at 17: Dear Abbey, I've heard that older women, "Cougars," like to catch spooge in the face. I've heard that as it dries it erases their wrinkles and gives their skin enzymes which make them look younger."

"Dear Gallon a minute at 17: First let me tell you that there is nothing wrong with sex with an older woman. There is only anecdotal evidence regarding that which you have heard. It doesn't mean that it isn't true. I'm glad you provided a return address. I really want to talk about this in person."
    \

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    "Gallon a minute at 17: Dear Abbey, I've heard that older women, "Cougars," like to catch spooge in the face. I've heard that as it dries it erases their wrinkles and gives their skin enzymes which make them look younger."

"Dear Gallon a minute at 17: First let me tell you that there is nothing wrong with sex with an older woman. There is only anecdotal evidence regarding that which you have heard. It doesn't mean that it isn't true. I'm glad you provided a return address. I really want to talk about this in person."
    \
    I've heard that can cause varicose veins.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ecclesiastes 1

2Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

3What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

5The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.

6The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.

7All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

8All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

9The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

10Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I've heard that can cause varicose veins.
    -rep
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Men's grooming kit;

Pretty-boys aren't men no matter how the urban crowd tries to portray them.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Oyarde's tribe:​
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Pretty-boys aren't men no matter how the urban crowd tries to portray them.
    Clearly, this is nothing new, but you're right,

The difference between now and then, is men would put on war paint to look powerful, intimidating and strike fear into the hearts of their enemies.

Now, woemen do that, and they come off looking foolish, harsh and used up, thinking they look "fierce" and pussy power and all that nonsense.

The men come out looking like effete fairies.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Sometimes I even put some on my Tomahawk .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

^^^^^^^^^^ Gilligan ? ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I still don't understand why...

Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Clearly, this is nothing new, but you're right,

The difference between now and then, is men would put on war paint to look powerful, intimidating and strike fear into the hearts of their enemies.

Now, woemen do that, and they come off looking foolish, harsh and used up, thinking they look "fierce" and pussy power and all that nonsense.

The men come out looking like effete fairies.
    Not exactly AF- men were actually the first to wear many things that are now considered "feminine"- such as:

Makeup
    Wigs
    High Heels
    Fancy jewelry & especially pierced ears.

These only became "feminine" when men got tired of them & moved into different fashions. Then the women took over.

(Of course, pierced ears were always masculine as it was a sign that a sailor had actually crossed the equator.)
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Not exactly AF- men were actually the first to wear many things that are now considered "feminine"- such as:

Makeup
    Wigs
    High Heels
    Fancy jewelry & especially pierced ears.

These only became "feminine" when men got tired of them & moved into different fashions. Then the women took over.

(Of course, pierced ears were always masculine as it was a sign that a sailor had actually crossed the equator.)
    Oh, I'm going back many thousands of years before high heels and such.

Not only that, but it was a handy way to store a emergency gold stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I used to get creative with that..

I have done Halloween since childhood,, and had great fun with Fantasy Fest and theatrical makeup.

But not as an everyday look.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Truth
    I pierced mine with a rusty Impeach Nixon Button. (a girl was involved)

but I have crossed the equator as a soldier.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do wear it well though..

After Hurricane Georges I embedded a coconut into my head, (only one eye all nite)

A T-shirt that said "120 mph blowjob,, I got a nut." (no pic)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Gilligan ? ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not as far as I know, it is just the first picture I found of military war paint.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

This is all I need to know on this issue -

Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    After Hurricane Georges I embedded a coconut into my head, (only one eye all nite)

A T-shirt that said "120 mph blowjob,, I got a nut." (no pic)
    Hahahahah

Any man who wears makeup can safely be presumed to be a degenerate, probably a flaming AIDS-infected homosexual.

geez the RPF language filter is Stalinist. Really bizarre that on a libertarian site you have to work around it.

The fact that the language filter catches f-a-g-g-o-t goes to show just how far political correctness seeped into this place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast