Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump Overrules Sessions: Promises To Protect States' Pot Legalization Rights

Trump Overrules Sessions: Promises To Protect States' Pot Legalization Rights

Just over 3 months ago, AG Jeff Sessions dropped a bongshell on the marijuana market when he rescinded policies allowing states to legalize pot.

But now, following Sen. Cory Gardner's, the Colorado Republican, threat to block all DOJ nominations, The Washington Post reports that President Trump has defused the standoff and promised the top Senate Republican that he will support congressional efforts to protect states that have legalized marijuana.

WaPo reports that in a phone call late Wednesday, Trump told Gardner that despite the DOJ memo, the marijuana industry in Colorado won’t be targeted, the senator said in a statement Friday. Satisfied, the first-term senator is now backing down from his nominee blockade.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ization-rights
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 04-13-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Unless Trump has vetoed legislation, it is Congress' role to fix this. Kind of ironic for a Senator to blame Trump.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Unless Trump has vetoed legislation, it is Congress' role to fix this. Kind of ironic for a Senator to blame Trump.

LOL, ya, it sounds like Trump got sumthin for nuthin lol...

But all around good stuff.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Is anybody here surprised?

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Of course they're surprised, dannno

they've probably been using it as a feature Why Trump is Bad presentation slide

and incidentally this completely changes the national conversation as we now have a Republican President in de facto support of repealing prohibition.

Did he pinkie swear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Did he pinkie swear?
    It's too bad you are so untrustworthy, I would really like to take part in a wager with you on this one.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's too bad you are so untrustworthy, I would really like to take part in a wager with you on this one.
    Speaking of trustworthy, I thought that you didn't believe anonymous reports of things that Trump supposedly said in a meeting.

From the Washington Post, no less...
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Speaking of trustworthy, I thought that you didn't believe anonymous reports of things that Trump supposedly said in a meeting.

Caution is in order, but Gardner is acting on his part of the bargain so that increases the odds that it exists.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Like I said, I believe things that he says that I like and I tend not to believe things he says that I don't like. Not because I am delusional, because I'm not delusional - It just works out well in the long-run. Too bad we can't wager, because you are losing this one 100%.

I've bought more herb than you, I've smoked more herb than you, I've grown more herb than you, it is in my house on a daily basis.. In other words, I had a lot more to lose than you - and the very last thing in the entire world I was worried about when it came to herb was the Trump admin. And rightly so.

I noticed you removed my Paul Ryan quote from your sig good job

Like I said, I believe things that he says that I like and I tend not to believe things he says that I don't like.
    Yeah, it's quite obvious.

Not because I am delusional, because I'm not delusional
    That's not quite so obvious.

No, it's because you can selectively justify everything retrospectively.

I noticed you removed my Paul Ryan quote from your sig good job
    Great example of the above right here. Not only do you believe in 2-year time delay effects of 32D chess, but you also believe that I removed the quote because of recent events. Pure confirmation bias, which is actually self delusion.

I changed my signature months ago.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Of course they're surprised, dannno

they've probably been using it as a feature Why Trump is Bad presentation slide

and incidentally this completely changes the national conversation as we now have a Republican President in de facto support of repealing prohibition.
    Of marijuana, nothing else. And you cant blame people for being skeptical of anything he says, he lurches back and forth like a drunk sailor.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Of marijuana, nothing else. And you cant blame people for being skeptical of anything he says, he lurches back and forth like a drunk sailor.

You been hanging out again with AF?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Caution is in order, but Gardner is acting on his part of the bargain so that increases the odds that it exists.
    We will get what he wants and then renege, like always
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

The Deep State is going to "kill" 20 children at a pre-school in Colorado because their dessert was laced, and Trump will change his mind.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Trump Announces Unprecedented Support for Legalizing Marijuana

On the first great-weather day of Spring 2018, President Donald Trump has committed to withdrawing federal objections to the legalization of marijuana, reports Tom Angell of Marijuana Moment.

President Trump is preparing to support far-reaching legislation to reform federal marijuana prohibition so that states can enact their own cannabis laws without interference.

"Since the campaign, President Trump has consistently supported states' rights to decide for themselves how best to approach marijuana," U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner (D-CO) said in a statement. "Late Wednesday, I received a commitment from the President that the Department of Justice's rescission of the Cole memo will not impact Colorado's legal marijuana industry. Furthermore, President Trump has assured me that he will support a federalism-based legislative solution to fix this states' rights issue once and for all."

In a briefing with reporters on Friday afternoon, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed the development, calling Gardner's statement "accurate."

"We're always consulting Congress about issues including states' rights, of which the president is a firm believer," she said.

USDOJUSDOJThis is huge, as it would unambiguously allow states to pursue legalization without worrying about a federal crackdown such as the one proposed by Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the start of this year. An unambiguous ally in the White House would also go a long way to ending skittishness on the part of banks and other firms to engage with pot-related industry in states where such business is legal. At Marijuana Moment, Angell writes that the details of the "legislative solution" Sen. Gardner mentions are not known yet, but the Colorado Republican said it will amount to a "universal fix" to all questions regarding pot legalization.

Read more here.

Gardner had been using senatorial privilege to place holds on various administration nominees until he received assurances that the Trump administration would work to allow the untroubled legalization of pot in states that decide to do so. Today, he announced:

"Because of these commitments, I have informed the Administration that I will be lifting my remaining holds on Department of Justice nominees. My colleagues and I are continuing to work diligently on a bipartisan legislative solution that can pass Congress and head to the President's desk to deliver on his campaign position."

So here we have Donald Trump, who is so terrible on so many issues and pretty damn good on others, moving forward on negotiating peace on the War on Pot. Nothing is over until the last non-violent offender is freed, but this is very good news.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/13/t...ted-support-fo
    The keystone of anti-liberty is crumbling.

godspeed.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Feds have trouble hiring as almost nobody can pass the "pee in the cup" test. This should help.

Fake Liberty temporarily

Unprecedented would be to reduce everything to Schedule ZERO unlisted, and repeal all of the illegal unconstitutional related legislation.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Same desperate argument in every thread.

the God Emperor pinkie swore that you could keep your weed?

What happens when he's not the president anymore?
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    The keystone of anti-liberty is crumbling.
    That's the keystone? Really?

The Tenth Amendment is DOA, The Fourth Amendment is running close behind, Second Amendment is under siege, and California is declaring itself a First Amendment-Free Zone, but so long as we can buy weed in a store we're still going the right direction?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    That's the keystone? Really?

The Tenth Amendment is DOA, The Fourth Amendment is running close behind, Second Amendment is under siege, and California is declaring itself a First Amendment-Free Zone, but so long as we can buy weed in a store we're still going the right direction?
    Yep, escapism is all you are left with thanks to your fellow sheeple. Another hit?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    escapism
    I think you're confusing herb with alcohol..

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    MAGA - Marijuana Agriculture Growing Again

I for one, welcome my new cannabis overlords.

Yep, escapism is all you are left with thanks to your fellow sheeple. Another hit?
    Escapism? No,, Pain relief, Mood stabilizer,, anti-depressant,, a reality cushion perhaps. But no escape.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Escapism? No,, Pain relief, Mood stabilizer,, anti-depressant,, a reality cushion perhaps. But no escape.
    You are arguing semantics given how widespread the usage is. Our existence is painful.

I'm itching for another Q leak, you got one I could bum off ya? I think Q is the only one who understands whats really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I'd say a bit of each.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Unprecedented would be to reduce everything to Schedule ZERO unlisted, and repeal all of the illegal unconstitutional related legislation.
    With the title of the thread that's what I was expecting but then I remembered Trump won and not Rand Paul, I am going to make one entitled Trump Announces Unprecedented Support for Legalizing Steroids after he orders bombing on another country without authorization from congress again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast