View Poll Results: How much trust do you put in current President's promises and statements?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very high/absolute

5 8.33%
  • High

2 3.33%
  • Low

6 10.00%
  • Very low/none

44 73.33%
  • Not sure/other

3 5.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much trust do you put in current President's promises and statements?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you've followed Trump at all over the years, it's a generally good idea not to put trust in any of his statements. I do put trust in him to remain clueless and keep $#@!ing up the country though. If one thing is consistent, it's his anti-libertarianism.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Since he frequently contradicts himself his statements can't be trusted at all, you have to watch his actions to even guess about his positions or plans.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Since he frequently contradicts himself his statements can't be trusted at all, you have to watch his actions to even guess about his positions or plans.
    Was same the case when he was a candidate ? That is, in your view his pre-election statements/promises can't be trusted at all also?

It depends on which statement we're talking about. Bargaining statements should carry little to zero weight. Commitment statements that are "brand" elements, high confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Was same the case when he was a candidate ? That is, in your view his pre-election statements/promises can't be trusted at all also?
    No, they can't.
    He seems to be keeping many campaign promises but you can't rely on much of anything he says.
    The longer he stays in office the better we can guess what he really intends but he hasn't been in long enough to be sure of anything.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I put a lot of trust in the statements that he says that I like, and much less or zero trust in the statements that he says that I don't like.

That sounds kinda weird, but it actually ends up being pretty accurate in the longrun.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It's funny because the people who hate Trump the most seem to put the most trust in his promises and statements. You can see that from threads like where Trump says he is going to do something that everybody here would hate, and then it never happens. Ironically NONE of those people have voted that way so far in the poll.

Very curious.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    It depends on which statement we're talking about. Bargaining statements should carry little to zero weight. Commitment statements that are "brand" elements, high confidence.
    How do you tell the difference? And you are implying he lies/uses deception in some of his statements for ulterior purposes?

If you know how to tell one from the other, were following bargaining or commitment statements?

Pre-election Trump: It is time to get out of Afghanistan ; Pence: Longest US War will go on

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I put a lot of trust in the statements that he says that I like, and much less or zero trust in the statements that he says that I don't like.

That sounds kinda weird, but it actually ends up being pretty accurate in the longrun.
    The cool thing about Trump is that you can find statements by him on both sides of almost any issue. It is easy to say you agree or disagree with him.

"We are leaving Syria."
    "We are not leaving Syria".
    "We are going to bomb Syria. Soon."
    "We are going to bomb Syria. Or maybe not."

How do you tell the difference? And you are implying he lies/uses deception in some of his statements for ulterior purposes?

If you know how to tell one from the other, were following bargaining or commitment statements?

Pre-election Trump: It is time to get out of Afghanistan ; Pence: Longest US War will go on
    High confidence: Trump won't start any new wars, absent something crazy like NK nuking Japan happening.

Medium confidence: Trump looking to wind down and get out of existing wars.

Low confidence: Trump looking to get out of Afghanistan on a particular schedule.

Note that all the quoted Tweets were before he was a candidate. As Ron Paul noted when he voted for a border wall, or when he explained that welfare programs like SS and Medicare would have to be wound down rather than suddenly cut off, there are practical positions that need to be taken in light of existing realities that are not ideal positions for an ideal world.

With regards to the wars he inherited, I expect they will be wound down in this order based on geopolitical realities: Syria, (shadow African campaign), Afghanistan, (Ukraine), Iraq. Didn't get in overnight, won't get out overnight.

Only place I can see an increase of commitment from Trump is for the defense of Taiwan, should China push it that far.

I am gong to go with very low for anything positive , or slightly better than the none for anything positive that I would have scored for Obama .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The cool thing about Trump is that you can find statements by him on both sides of almost any issue. It is easy to say you agree or disagree with him.

"We are leaving Syria."
    "We are not leaving Syria".
    "We are going to bomb Syria. Soon."
    "We are going to bomb Syria. Or maybe not."
    On the surface, this may appear to be very sophisticated, 5-D Chess approach but can it in reality be so open-minded that in the end decisions can be easily influenced by others/made on whims in any direction? If so, how can anyone trust such a person's statements about anything?

High confidence: Trump won't start any new wars, absent something crazy like NK nuking Japan happening.
    Ground combat in Yemen isn't a new war?

Airstrikes in the Sahara isn't a new war?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It's funny because the people who hate Trump the most seem to put the most trust in his promises and statements. ..
    While this argument may have some merit, overall it probably still goes to his critics. On first instinct, people can't be blamed for expecting that a person generally means what he/she says and most may not be so skilled to dissect lies/deceptions apart from truths in a bundle of statements.

Conversly, in some areas Republicans show greater trust in him:

Voters believe Stormy over Trump
    03/28/2018

Poll: Americans believe women over Trump on affair allegations
    03/26/2018
    A majority of Americans believe the women who have alleged affairs with Donald Trump rather than the president’s denials, according to a poll released on Monday.
    Sixty-three percent of those surveyed in the CNN poll say they believe the women who have come forward with the allegations of extramarital affairs with Trump, while 21 percent say they believe the president and 16 percent say they have no opinion on the matter.
    The survey found that, overall, Republicans were more likely to trust in Trump’s denials instead of the women, 41 percent to 31 percent, and that women put more faith in the allegations over the president, 70 percent to 54 percent.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...daniels-487097

Lmao Trump infatuation syndrome on full display

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On the surface, this may appear to be very sophisticated, 5-D Chess approach but can it in reality be so open-minded that in the end decisions can be easily influenced by others/made on whims in any direction? If so, how can anyone trust such a person's statements about anything?

I live with a teenage son who's an ESTP just like trump. My son is massively influenced by the people around him. When he was in kindergarten, by the end of the year he had morphed from an articulate, polite kid into the image of his ruffian classmates. We took him out and started homeschooling.

He's 17 now. A year ago, he started going out with a girl who's proud of her bi proclivities and thinks he looks really great in makeup. My wife now complains that my son's makeup collection is more extensive than she's ever had in her life. He looked like a mannequin in his prom photos.

I love my boy and I'm proud of him, and he's a good and intelligent person, but his impulse to sync up with his peers makes things confusing to say the least.

Although I don't doubt that there's a kernel of trump that's his own man, he's mostly a hybrid of a huge number of influential voices throughout his life. The people he gathers around him have a massive impact not just on his policy decisions, but on his entire worldview. At the beginning of the presidency, I wish it had been Rand instead of Bannon. Right now, I wish it wasn't the cream of neo-connery.
    Last edited by undergroundrr; 04-12-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Government is never to be fully trusted. I am not saved by the grace of government.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Obviously you missed the second half of what I said.

Maybe he made Bolton natl security advisor to do the exact opposite of everything he advises.

You might think so, but it pretty much works out just like that.

IF you are loyal to, not your government, but to the citizens of the nation.

Anti-nationalists of any stripe have pretty much zero chance of understanding him.

It's all about his brand, and that's OK. He wants to be remembered as the best brand ever.

If he achieves half of what is hoped for him, he just might be. And that would open the opportunity for say, Rand Paul to succeed him, with the advantage of having many battles already fought and won.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Maybe he made Bolton natl security advisor to do the exact opposite of everything he advises.
    Bolton is there for the same reason Scaramucci was there. To fire as many Obama-Bush people as possible until it becomes impossible for him to operate effectively against them, and then the next guy will come in. My guess is he lasts to the end of August.

Bolton is there for the same reason Scaramucci was there. To fire as many Obama-Bush people as possible until it becomes impossible for him to operate effectively against them, and then the next guy will come in. My guess is he lasts to the end of August.
    He hires them to fire them?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He hires them to fire them?
    He hires them to fire swamp creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Government is never to be fully trusted. I am not saved by the grace of government.
    That's a safe practice.

I trust Trump a bit more than the people behind him, though. With all these FBI raids going on, I'm not discounting the possibility that he isn't loved by TPTB. The FBI was snooping around Hillary at first and you see how fast they shut up. No such favor has been done for Trump. —just something I keep in mind.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-12-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

He hires them to fire swamp creatures.
    Hire swamp creatures to fire swamp creatures.

Hire swamp creatures to fire swamp creatures.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    That's exactly it.

All of the people being hired are disposable, every single one. Bannon and Priebus and Scaramucci and Tillerson alike got the axe when they were no longer as useful as someone else could be in their place.

It's the opposite of the Clinton organized crime method, where once you sell your soul to the family, you're employed for life. There are no irreplaceable players as Obama had Jarrett or Bush had Rove. It's very possible that not a single at-will appointee may make it through the full 8 years.

Here's a good example of what's going on. The first press secretary, Sean Spicer, was pretty effective for a while. Then the extreme antics of the far left got to him, they got inside his head, he became reactive rather than proactive and was getting mauled in press conferences. Part of the reason for that was career staff in the press secretary's office who were opposition political actors rather than proper professionals. The problem was very bad - this was Obama's press office, after all. So in comes the hitman, Scaramucci, who immediately fires a ton of people, which got the problem fixed but shocked and demoralized the office in general, as when a lot of people get fired the rest always wonder who is next. A boss with a rep for firing a lot of people has scared workers, so he wasn't suitable thereafter. He got the axe and now we have Sanders in there, who is basically a one-woman wrecking ball against presstitute gaslighters and remains in control. If they get inside her head eventually, she'll be out and the next, fresh person will be in.

Trump's management style is very familiar to me as a consultant. People stay on the job as long as they are effective and then they get cut loose. It really shouldn't be controversial at all - they are, after all, his employees, and he was elected their boss.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast