Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KY - HOA bans 11 dog breeds

Exclamation KY - HOA bans 11 dog breeds

I reckon my Newfie dog would be on that list as well.

Freedom is not popular.

Being fed, being entertained, and wielding petty power over your fellow man.

That's what is popular.

Kentucky neighborhood bans Danes, Dobermanns, German Shepherds, St. Bernards and more

http://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-...#storylink=cpy

By Morgan Eads And Cheryl Truman

April 09, 2018 10:44 AM

People living in a Lexington neighborhood were notified last week that several dog breeds, including pit bulls, Great Danes and huskies, were being banned.

Homeowners in McConnell’s Trace were sent letters by the neighborhood developer detailing a change in an existing dog restriction, which previously referred only to unspecified “aggressive breeds,” said Josh McCurn, president of the area’s neighborhood association. Now German shepherds, St. Bernards and chows are among the list of 11 dog breeds restricted from the neighborhood.

McConnell’s Trace sits across Leestown Road from Masterson Station Park.

McCurn said the homeowner’s association did not have a vote on the restrictions and did not “write the language.”

Since the memo was sent out, McCurn said he has heard from those who don't have pets, don’t have dogs or don’t want to be restricted in what kind of dog they can have.

“I've heard it from both ends of the spectrum,” McCurn said.

The developer for McConnell’s Trace, Anderson Properties, could not immediately be reached for comment.

“As the president, I’ve reached out to the neighbors and said I would be happy to have a one to one sit-down with them ... and relay any message to the developer,” McCurn said.

There is also a semi-annual meeting for the McConnell’s Trace Neighborhood Association scheduled in late May, according to the association’s Facebook page.

McCurn himself owns a Doberman and two other dogs, but said that to his understanding current animals and their owners would be grandfathered in.

According to the deed of restrictions for McConnell’s Trace Subdivision, the banned breeds are as follows:

German Shepherds
    Rottweilers
    Mastiffs
    Doberman Pinschers
    Pit Bulls (including American Staffordshire Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and “any dogs containing characteristics of these breeds”)
    Huskies
    Alaskan Malamutes
    Chows
    Great Danes
    St. Bernards
    Akitas

Shannon Smith, the founder of pit bull advocacy group Lexington Pit Crew, said breed restrictions are disheartening.

Smith said that issues with “bully breeds” such as pit bulls and rottweilers often are the result of human error, particularly by the owner of the dog. She admits that pit bulls and pit bull mixes are strong dogs and said that their owners have to be willing to work and train them.

“You have to be on top of your game,” Smith said. “If you have a bully breed, you do have to watch it because regardless of the situation, you’re going to be to blame.”

As for the reported ban on such breeds in McConnell’s Trace, Smith said these kinds of restrictions can also impact dogs that aren’t pit bulls or pit bull mixes at all.

“We started slapping names on dogs with big square heads, but there’s no telling without a DNA test what kind of dog they are,” Smith said.

She’s repeatedly seen other mix-breed dogs, including boxer mixes, be misidentified as being full or part pit bull.

As the owner of two pit bull mixes, Smith said she has to be aware of potential bans anytime she thinks of moving.

“I’d like to think that Lexington is above that,” Smith said. “But here I sit talking to you about a neighborhood implementing a ban
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Support your local micro tyrants
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

This is called breed bigotry, and it's what happens when people have more money than they do sense. We are dog lovers at our house and we gravitate to small breeds. We had a mini dachshund that at her full 6 pounds would run off rottweillers, chows, and some kind of dalmatian mix. That was when she was 16 years old, blind, and could barely run. There is not a more ferocious breed out there than a dachshund. We've known chihuahuas to be pretty vicious, and some breeds of terrier will give people a hard time. Size isn't everything.

I'm not a fan of dobermans or chows, but that's just me. I'm sure the ones with good owners are good pets.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    This is called breed bigotry, and it's what happens when people have more money than they do sense. We are dog lovers at our house and we gravitate to small breeds. We had a mini dachshund that at her full 6 pounds would run off rottweillers, chows, and some kind of dalmatian mix. That was when she was 16 years old, blind, and could barely run. There is not a more ferocious breed out there than a dachshund. We've known chihuahuas to be pretty vicious, and some breeds of terrier will give people a hard time. Size isn't everything.
    As long as I'm wearing shoes of some type, I'll not gonna be all that concerned about the most vicious chihuauhua or dachshund on the planet. Especially when compared to a vicious member of a large breed.

A high capacity assault dog

My buddy, Mr. Toes

What's not to love about this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    As long as I'm wearing shoes of some type, I'll not gonna be all that concerned about the most vicious chihuauhua or dachshund on the planet. Especially when compared to a vicious member of a large breed.
    You are not a child either. A toddler can easily be knocked down by the smallest dog. Big dogs are not the problem. Bad dog owners are the problem.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    What's not to love about this guy?
    What a handsome boy. Our little guy looked like this. Our tiny girl was a brown dapple.
    #NashvilleStrong

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a handsome boy. Our little guy looked like this. Our tiny girl was a brown dapple.
    Thanks....
    He does look like a Dachshund, but he's a Doberman.

He fell out of bed the other night and shook the house. Weighs 109 pounds.

You are not a child either. A toddler can easily be knocked down by the smallest dog. Big dogs are not the problem. Bad dog owners are the problem.
    No dispute there. Just saying its a bit silly to compare vicious small breeds to vicious large breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    No dispute there. Just saying its a bit silly to compare vicious small breeds to vicious large breeds.
    It's not silly. I've never been bitten by a large breed dog. Small breeds, yes.

It makes sense to ban large breeds when people live in big expensive neighborhoods that don't allow fences. Little dogs are usually kept in the house. Eliminate the stupid rules and let people build fences to keep all their dogs in the yard. Homeowner associations are usually higher end neighborhoods, and it doesn't surprise me at all that they display their own particular kind of ignorance about dogs.
    #NashvilleStrong

It makes sense to ban large breeds when people live in big expensive neighborhoods that don't allow fences. Little dogs are usually kept in the house. Eliminate the stupid rules and let people build fences to keep all their dogs in the yard.
    I don't have any fences.... but my dogs never leave the yard.

I use electronic training collars whenever they go out so I can make sure they don't get in the road and get hit by traffic.

How about just making the owners responsible for what their dog does, rather than ban the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Support your local micro tyrants

Lexington has gotten very gay about things, and its not just the darkies...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    he's a Doberman.
    This is not a breed I’m close to. I think maybe I have met exactly one. Your dog doesn’t have his ears docked. Isn’t that the standard?
    #NashvilleStrong

HOA's banning dog breeds . First world problems for those nutty enough to live under HOA rules . In a real $#@!hole they just eat the dogs .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    HOA's banning dog breeds . First world problems for those nutty enough to live under HOA rules . In a real $#@!hole they just eat the dogs .
    Or the dogs eat them.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Nobody put a gun to their heads and forced them to live there.

Sadly, most dogs around here are idiot pit bulls. People think they are cool. They arent. People think they will get rich by selling pit bull puppies. They wont. The also seem to think they can handle a pit bull. They cant. If the idiots where I live were the residents of this HOA, then I would propose a new rule, BAN STUPID PEOPLE. Then, the entire development would become a 21st century Ghost Town, save one or two people with above room temperature IQs.

These are my Giant Alaskan Malamutes. They are about three times the size of a Husky.

The difference between a Husky and a Malamute is Night and Day.

Huskies are Hyper, Malamutes are Mellow.

Most people that are inexperienced with the breed do not know these very important differences. I can understand the confusion, but I get pissed when it is constant willful ignorance. Ive had the cops called on me more than once for having "Wolves" within city limits. Cops dont even bother to knock on my door any more since theyve seen the AKC papers. I have a neighbor to this day that flat out insists that Huskies and Malamutes are the same $#@!ing thing. The conversation always ends the exact same way, he beats me over the head with his stupidity and I am left having made no progress with the willfully ignorant. Cops of course are still called by the same dip$#@! probably once a month, but havent talked to the cops in years about "wolves". She is a known idiot to them.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 04-10-2018 at 02:32 AM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I reckon my Newfie dog would be on that list as well.

Freedom is not popular.

Being fed, being entertained, and wielding petty power over your fellow man.

That's what is popular.

Kentucky neighborhood bans Danes, Dobermanns, German Shepherds, St. Bernards and more

http://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-...#storylink=cpy

By Morgan Eads And Cheryl Truman

April 09, 2018 10:44 AM

People living in a Lexington neighborhood were notified last week that several dog breeds, including pit bulls, Great Danes and huskies, were being banned.

Homeowners in McConnell’s Trace were sent letters by the neighborhood developer detailing a change in an existing dog restriction, which previously referred only to unspecified “aggressive breeds,” said Josh McCurn, president of the area’s neighborhood association. Now German shepherds, St. Bernards and chows are among the list of 11 dog breeds restricted from the neighborhood.

McConnell’s Trace sits across Leestown Road from Masterson Station Park.

McCurn said the homeowner’s association did not have a vote on the restrictions and did not “write the language.”

Since the memo was sent out, McCurn said he has heard from those who don't have pets, don’t have dogs or don’t want to be restricted in what kind of dog they can have.

“I've heard it from both ends of the spectrum,” McCurn said.

The developer for McConnell’s Trace, Anderson Properties, could not immediately be reached for comment.

“As the president, I’ve reached out to the neighbors and said I would be happy to have a one to one sit-down with them ... and relay any message to the developer,” McCurn said.

There is also a semi-annual meeting for the McConnell’s Trace Neighborhood Association scheduled in late May, according to the association’s Facebook page.

McCurn himself owns a Doberman and two other dogs, but said that to his understanding current animals and their owners would be grandfathered in.

According to the deed of restrictions for McConnell’s Trace Subdivision, the banned breeds are as follows:

German Shepherds
    Rottweilers
    Mastiffs
    Doberman Pinschers
    Pit Bulls (including American Staffordshire Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and “any dogs containing characteristics of these breeds”)
    Huskies
    Alaskan Malamutes
    Chows
    Great Danes
    St. Bernards
    Akitas

Shannon Smith, the founder of pit bull advocacy group Lexington Pit Crew, said breed restrictions are disheartening.

Smith said that issues with “bully breeds” such as pit bulls and rottweilers often are the result of human error, particularly by the owner of the dog. She admits that pit bulls and pit bull mixes are strong dogs and said that their owners have to be willing to work and train them.

“You have to be on top of your game,” Smith said. “If you have a bully breed, you do have to watch it because regardless of the situation, you’re going to be to blame.”

As for the reported ban on such breeds in McConnell’s Trace, Smith said these kinds of restrictions can also impact dogs that aren’t pit bulls or pit bull mixes at all.

“We started slapping names on dogs with big square heads, but there’s no telling without a DNA test what kind of dog they are,” Smith said.

She’s repeatedly seen other mix-breed dogs, including boxer mixes, be misidentified as being full or part pit bull.

As the owner of two pit bull mixes, Smith said she has to be aware of potential bans anytime she thinks of moving.

“I’d like to think that Lexington is above that,” Smith said. “But here I sit talking to you about a neighborhood implementing a ban

This is a load of crap.

And this lady is right on:

Pits are pack animals- they need to know who the alpha is and then will always comply. When you have owners who don't understand this, and don't take the alpha position, then you may have a problem. But pits are very trainable & will obey almost instantly, when treated correctly.

All the pits I've been around or helped train were great dogs.

Also true:
    My shar pei/lab mix doggie was always called a pit by know-nothings.
    There is no spoon.

The only dogs I have ever been bitten by aren't on the list. Poodle, Shih-Tzu and Bulldog. Only the Bulldog drew blood, and I managed to get the pistol put away right before the owner came out of the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

I think this was a change to an existing HOA guideline. Specific breeds were not spelled out before. I would think a HOA would encourage people to rescue pets as community responsibility.
    #NashvilleStrong

I'm not a fan of dobermans or chows, but that's just me. I'm sure the ones with good owners are good pets.
    That is my experience,,, and I do prefer Big Dogs.. Little dogs can be overly aggressive,, but the damage is less.
    Mostly it is unthinking Fear,, and dogs sense that. The whole "Dangerous Breed" FUD is false. No dog is inherently dangerous. They have to be made so.. and usually is is only in the mind of the fearful.
    I can not imaging that the St. Bernard is on there for any other reason.. They are notoriously gentle. They are just Large.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    The only dogs I have ever been bitten by aren't on the list. Poodle, Shih-Tzu and Bulldog. Only the Bulldog drew blood, and I managed to get the pistol put away right before the owner came out of the house.
    Been bit a few times,, Huskie last. None of them bad.. Though Baby was not good. Jumpy girl,, with some abuse in her past.. and I startled her.. it was reflexive and not vicious. A good chomp on the hand though.

Cassie could be formidable,, But I'm not going to assault my wife to find out,,, cuz that would do it.
    She thinks she is a licky face lap dog. and she chased off a Bear...but there is not one vicious hair on her hide.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

A vast majority of the time, dogs aren't the problem... it's the owners.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is not a breed I’m close to. I think maybe I have met exactly one. Your dog doesn’t have his ears docked. Isn’t that the standard?
    Not any more. The practice has been banned in many countries as inhumane.

I don't show my dogs and decided it would be best if I left his nice floppy ears alone.

When I see one large triangle with two smaller triangles on either side, I know I'm being listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    That is my experience,,, and I do prefer Big Dogs.. Little dogs can be overly aggressive,, but the damage is less.
    Mostly it is unthinking Fear,, and dogs sense that. The whole "Dangerous Breed" FUD is false. No dog is inherently dangerous. They have to be made so.. and usually is is only in the mind of the fearful.
    I can not imaging that the St. Bernard is on there for any other reason.. They are notoriously gentle. They are just Large.
    Ya , I do not know of anyone being attacked by Bernard or Dane that I recall . Must just be on the list because they are big .

I really never kept dogs much except bird dogs which are very docile . I delivered for UPS one year and I learned some about dogs then .

Denying physics in favor of anecdotal experience is silly. It is always silly. It is inherently silly. Please take no offense, euphemia. That's just the fact, nothing personal.

I do agree with you, as you said:

"Bad dog owners are the problem."

And I wonder, would a dog owner who chooses to own and keep, in a densely populated area, a dog specifically bred for blood sports,

would such an individual fit into the category of "bad dog owner"?

Maybe not, if he just kept it inside 100% of the time in a secure room on a secure tether, in anticipation of his annual bear-baiting trip, eh? But what if he instead takes it out for walks in the neighborhood, lets it get within 100 feet of nice neighborhood children, and otherwise lets it mix and mingle with the public when, remember, this dog of his was explicitly created for the sole purpose of being used in blood sports,

is that, like, responsible and junk? Or.... the, whatcha call it, the, like, opposite?

Would you consider, for example, this guy in any way.... responsible .... for what happened?:

http://archive.is/lgnDg
    Last edited by H_H; 04-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Denying physics in favor of anecdotal experience is silly. It is always silly. It is inherently silly. Please take no offense, euphemia. That's just the fact, nothing personal.

I do agree with you, as you said:

"Bad dog owners are the problem."

And I wonder, would a dog owner who chooses to own and keep, in a densely populated area, a dog specifically bred for blood sports,

would such an individual fit into the category of "bad dog owner"?

Maybe not, if he just kept it inside 100% of the time in a secure room on a secure tether, in anticipation of his annual bear-baiting trip, eh? But what if he instead takes it out for walks in the neighborhood, lets it get within 100 feet of nice neighborhood children, and otherwise lets it mix and mingle with the public when, remember, this dog of his was explicitly created for the sole purpose of being used in blood sports,

is that, like, responsible and junk? Or.... the, whatcha call it, the, like, opposite?

Would you consider, for example, this guy in any way.... responsible .... for what happened?:

http://archive.is/lgnDg
    Personally I am fond of Wolf Breeds,, the closer to pure Wolf the better. Wonderful Creatures.

Rottweilers have gotten under my skin,, Though Cassie is a mix.. she has the heart.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Sorry.. my real life experience outweighs your fear filled propaganda..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast