Thread: Why you should stop telling people you're so busy

Why you should stop telling people you're so busy

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/why-...e-so-busy.html

Deepak Chopra and Kabir Sehgal on Thu, 5 April 2018

These days everyone wants to tell you how busy they are. And for good reason: Americans work on average 44 hours per week and, in some industries, it's more like 60 hours. Of course, it's only natural for folks to talk about their full schedules. But constantly harping about your busyness can actually have adverse consequences.

Here are a few reasons why you should stop telling folks that you're so busy.

First, you may be bragging

When you tell people about the millions of things going on, you might be sending the message "Look at all my obligations and responsibilities. I am productive, industrious, accomplished and successful." By sharing with others that you're so busy, you inevitably place the focus on yourself and invite the attention and recognition of others.

Moreover, when folks ask "How are you?" and you respond "I'm busy," you might be signaling that you don't want to talk to them. Instead of telling people how hectic and hardworking you are, take the time to ask them questions. You can always make time to get to know people, create friendships and deepen relationships.

Second, busyness isn't remarkable

Everyone is busy. Your calendar doesn't make you special. So don't go around saying "I'm busier than you" or comparing your schedule to others. If you're trying to stand out in your business career, you're not going to separate from the pack by telling folks how busy you are. Instead of being a badge of success, busyness may send the signal to your enlightened colleagues and associates that you aren't working smart.

If you knew how to be more efficient at your job, you could achieve a better work-life balance. As entrepreneur Jason Fried writes in "Rework": "Workaholics aren't heroes. They don't save the day, they just use it up. The real hero is home because she figured out a faster way."

Google and 3M insist that their employees have "free time" to work on their own projects. It's in these moments of idleness that your mind might stumble upon a truly new idea.

Third, busyness closes doors

When people think you're too busy, they won't present you with opportunities. You want people thinking of you when a truly amazing opportunity emerges. You may have heard the mantra, "If you want something done, give it to a busy person."

Indeed, let people know that you will make time for important things. When folks ask, "How are you?" you can respond by saying, "Looking for opportunities." This response will no doubt spark a deeper conversation that could lead to more and better prospects.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm too busy to give a $#@! if it sends the wrong message.
    "The Patriarch"

I only try and look busy so Mrs O gives me nothing to do . I am expert at my craft . She knows I do it and she still cannot tell . In order to make it convincing I accidentally get some real work done sometimes which confuses her and keeps her quiet . All of my Grand Daughters are on board with me and tell her how busy we have been and how hard we worked. They know I will reward them for this guile .