Thread: What are your three favorite most versatile rifle calibers and

What are your three favorite most versatile rifle calibers and

What do you use them for ?
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    7.62 X 51 NATO
    .303 British

Hometown Security

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am prohibited from having favorites.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I do think the .300 blackout has potential to make the AR 15 platform into a decent rifle.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I am prohibited from having favorites.
    What would your most versatile 3 be if you were not prohibited ?

What would your most versatile 3 be if you were not prohibited ?

12ga is not a caliber.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

.22LR

Versatility? Use it in rifles, target-quality handguns and easily concealed pistols. Useful? It's among the cheapest plinker rounds, and is useful for both hunting and self-defense if you're accurate enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

So , so far we have .22LR , 7.62 X 51 , .30 , 30 06 , .300 , .303 , .308 and .45 . Seems pretty reasonable
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-10-2018 at 05:19 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So , so far we have .22LR , 7.62 X 51 , .30 , 30 06 , .300 , .303 and .45 . Seems pretty reasonable
    You can use .45 shot for birds,, but I like the .22 for that,, and anything small.

wide selection in the .30 range and .45 for really big and dangerous.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Do these pairs count as 1 each? They're pretty versatile, assuming your firearm(s) can chamber them and are properly rated.

.308 -- 762x51 Nato
    38 special -- 357mag
    45 long colt -- .410

If that's cheating, I'll make my choices
    .45 ACP
    .22lr

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

5.56, 7.62 x 51, .45-70

In no particular order.

.22-250 and .243 are good calibers as well. Depends on what you're shooting at.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

.22 Long Rifle - Cheap, ubiquitous, accurate.

.308 Winchester - It's what my "go to" rifles eat, FN/FALs - or rather 7.62 x 51

.30-06 Springfield - Extraordinarily versatile, which is not surprising considering teh cartridge has been in active use for over 110 years now. Can achieve everything from high speed flat trajectories reaching out hundreds and hundreds of yards, to heavyweight projectiles big enough to safely take down any game animal in the Western Hemisphere.

Honorable Mention to 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    .22 Long Rifle - Cheap, ubiquitous, accurate.

.308 Winchester - It's what my "go to" rifles eat, FN/FALs - or rather 7.62 x 51

.30-06 Springfield - Extraordinarily versatile, which is not surprising considering teh cartridge has been in active use for over 110 years now. Can achieve everything from high speed flat trajectories reaching out hundreds and hundreds of yards, to heavyweight projectiles big enough to safely take down any game animal in the Western Hemisphere.

Honorable Mention to 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39
    I also really like the 06 Springfield and .308 .
    Do something Danke

.22LR... rounds are inexpensive... buy 'em by the bucket.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Can't believe no one has said .30-.30 yet. The knock on the .30-.30 used to be range as is was pretty much a 100 yard range rifle but new advances with ballistics as well as projectile materials, the .30-.30 can now push out to 300 yards and still remain more than adequate. All while still maintaining it's versatility as a brush capable cartridge.

Like Brushfire, I consider versatility to include multiple weapon interchangeability. Hence, I like the .357 magnum (revolver and lever action rifle) as well as the .44 magnum (revolver and lever action rifle). But if speaking to pure rifle? I'd add either .308 or .30-06, and then something heavier like the .300 magnum or .45-.70

So for me it'd be either (depending on how you wanted to define versatility):

1) .30-.30
    2) 357 magnum
    3) 44 magnum

or

1) .30-.30
    2).308 or .30-06
    3) 300 magnum or .45-.70
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Do these pairs count as 1 each? They're pretty versatile, assuming your firearm(s) can chamber them and are properly rated.

.308 -- 762x51 Nato
    38 special -- 357mag
    45 long colt -- .410
    I'm right there with you on this one.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm right there with you on this one.

What do you recommend for shooting pests?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What do you recommend for shooting pests?

M163
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom