Thread: Open Carry Arrest, Dearborn MI

Open Carry Arrest, Dearborn MI

Just posting this here where I think it'll get more attention. Pretty crazy open carry "protest", bad outcome for the protester. Stumbled across a cop video scoffing at the dudes, and it left me wanting to know what the heck happened afterwards.

Link to the full video of the incident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8la_mu6HY

My comment:
    Wow, watching this video blew my mind. What a terrible idea with a completely expected outcome. Immediate detention and a felony charge.

What's more interesting is actually what played out after the fact. The person with guns (James Baker, Dearborn MI) was charged with disturbing the peace and brandishing a weapon. The cameraman was charged with disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.

James Baker was found not guilty of both charges. He did nothing illegal at that police station. Was it a lawful arrest? Yes, in my opinion. There was certainly probable cause that he was committing a crime (misdemeanor disturbing the peace). Ultimately, a jury found he was not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

His own video actually got him a separate felony conviction, improperly transporting a firearm, because apparently there was video of him putting the rifle in his trunk, unloaded, but not in a gun case. Which would have been perfectly legal, except he didn't account for the fact where his CCW was suspended when he got a misdemeanor charge at a previous protest (charges were dropped). So, honestly, judicial somersaulting over what is really a non-crime.

Even more tragic is that the cameraman was found guilty of disturbing the peace (what?? filming what was ultimately a non-crime and not wanting to be arrested?) as well as resisting arrest (because, yeah, if you're convicted of disturbing the peace then they're going to say it was a lawful arrest).

This is the reason why people hate the courts; because the laws suck and the courts suck. When the rules are 10,000 pages no one can read, everyone is a criminal. And that's bad, because then anyone can be selectively persecuted. And that's why people don't like cops, because they're the complicit enforcers. When you do 75 in a 55, but write someone a ticket for doing 75 in a 55, that's not upholding the law, that's collecting revenue.

So, would I recommend doing what these guys did? Absolutely not, I'm shocked a jury found them not guilty of disturbing the peace; you don't pull the holy trifecta of a ski mask, body armor, and multiple firearms outside of a combat zone. If that's your daily routine, then you have an argument. If not, you're not going there to "file a complaint", you're going there to protest. In full on combat gear and concealed identity? Probably intimidation and disturbing the peace.

But, the jury found them not guilty. I defend their right to exercise their rights, anything less is a "first they came for..." mentality. Big brother strong-armed a conviction and it serves as another example to be fearful, when they want you convicted they'll get a conviction.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I personally would not have done that.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

So one wonders why we just drive by when a cop is in trouble...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

It's Michigan. They will prosecute over a yard sale BB gun in the back seat.

airsoft

nerf toys (projectile)

seriously..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Pick your battles.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Pick your battles.
    I believe that was a Public Service Announcement..

a demonstration to other lawful gun owners as to how they will be protected by these servants of the community.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

As a nation we are regressing:

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2016/10/16/us/16panthers-06/16panthers-06-master315-v5.jpg[/IMG]

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/u...-50-years.html
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.