Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Is Passover Celebrated For The Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Also, I have yet to see any English speaking Christians (Protestants or Roman Catholics) who calls this day Easter, involving eggs or bunnies in a worship service. These are local customs and have noting to do with liturgical worship, that I am aware of.
    They were local pagan customs that were sanitized as cultural holdovers, eggs and rabbits are both fertility symbols, however their present incarnation is innocuous.
    You are correct that they have no religious relationship to "Easter Sunday".
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They were local pagan customs that were sanitized as cultural holdovers, eggs and rabbits are both fertility symbols, however their present incarnation is innocuous.
    You are correct that they have no religious relationship to "Easter Sunday".
    FYI, you don't need scare quotes around "Easter Sunday" here, as it's not used as technical jargon or anything esoteric. y/w ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    FYI, you don't need scare quotes around "Easter Sunday" here, as it's not used as technical jargon or anything esoteric. y/w ~hugs~
    I used the quotes since Easter is in dispute in this thread but the day is commonly referred to that way.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Donna, you are painting with a pretty broad brush there as if it was all one and the same. We practice an orthodox liturgy that has been around for centuries that has nothing to do with rabbits and eggs. Our practice is a faithful one.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Donna, you are painting with a pretty broad brush there as if it was all one and the same. We practice an orthodox liturgy that has been around for centuries that has nothing to do with rabbits and eggs. Our practice is a faithful one.
    I am not judging anyone, Euphemia. The commercialization of Easter is the problem and why so many children, IMHO, turn away from God as adults. The lies and deception are taught to them, as traditions, early in life by those who find no problem with celebrating paganism.

This is a good example where the Tradition of men make void the Word of God.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Same thing happens with the celebration of Advent and the Incarnation.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Easter = Ishtar
    That's fake news. The word Easter is not in any way related to the goddess Ishtar. Notice that your own copy and pasted quote doesn't even support your claim. It says that the name is derived from a Germanic root, as I said. They neglect to mention that it was a name used for a month (although it was). But, as they say, it was associated with the time of the Spring Equinox, just like Passover.

Yes, it's true that old pagan religions had their own holidays around the Spring equinox, and made their own associations between these events and their pagan gods and goddesses, while Christians know that it's really the true God of the Bible to whom they bear witness. But their doing that doesn't take anything away from Christians celebration of Jesus's resurrection, which took place at that same time.

Christians are well aware that, while bunnies and eggs might be fun for kids, they have no biblical basis and are not an essential part of Easter, which, as a Christian holiday, is a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. In God's providential design of the world, it's appropriate that this new life and new age of the world would coincide with the beginning of Spring, and that the heavens would bear witness to this perfect plan of his in ways that even pagans could see glimpses of.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 03-31-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a ridiculous lie but the etymology is correct.
    The cult of Ishtar was common throughout the Mediterranean world, Esther was renamed after Ishtar by the king, her original name was Hadassah.
    Yes, there was a Middle-Eastern goddess Ishtar.

But the claim of a connection between her and Easter is 100% false. There is absolutely no connection between Ishtar and Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    That's fake news. The word Easter is not in any way related to the goddess Ishtar. Notice that your own copy and pasted quote doesn't even support your claim. It says that the name is derived from a Germanic root, as I said. They neglect to mention that it was a name used for a month (although it was). But, as they say, it was associated with the time of the Spring Equinox, just like Passover.

Yes, it's true that old pagan religions had their own holidays around the Spring equinox, and made their own associations between these events and their pagan gods and goddesses, while Christians know that it's really the true God of the Bible to whom they bear witness. But their doing that doesn't take anything away from Christians celebration of Jesus's resurrection, which took place at that same time.

Christians are well aware that, while bunnies and eggs might be fun for kids, they have no biblical basis and are not an essential part of Easter, which, as a Christian holiday, is a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. In God's providential design of the world, it's appropriate that this new life and new age of the world would coincide with the beginning of Spring, and that the heavens would bear witness to this perfect plan of his in ways that even pagans could see glimpses of.
    LOL! Where do you think the tradition of eggs and rabbits came from?

Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess of love, procreation, and war, was the daughter and consort of the air god Anu. She was known for destroying her lovers, including a lion, stallion, and shepherd. When the love of her life, the farm god Tammuz, died, she followed him to the Underworld, but she was unable to retrieve him. Ishtar was the heir to the Sumerian goddess Inanna but was more promiscuous. She is called the Cow of Sin (a moon god). She was the wife of a human king, Sargon of Agade.

"In From Ishtar to Aphrodite," Miroslav Marcovich; Journal of Aesthetic Education, Vol. 30, No. 2, (Summer, 1996), pp. 43-59, Marcovich argues that since Ishtar was the wife of an Assyrian king and since warfare was the main occupation of such kings, Ishtar felt it was his marital duty to become a war goddess, so she went with her husband on his military adventures to assure their success. Marcovich also argues that Ishtar is​ queen of heaven and associated with the planet Venus.
    Babal means confusion in Hebrew. Is it any wonder?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

LOL! Where do you think the tradition of eggs and rabbits came from?
    I don't see why it matters, since eggs and rabbits aren't what Christians believe Easter is about.

But ultimately, where do they come from? They come from the same God who created everything, who designed the world, who gave us the Sun, Moon, and stars, as signs in the heavens, including the Spring equinox, and who revealed himself to us chiefly through the incarnation of his Son Jesus, who died and rose again. Christians should be able to see how all things, including rabbits and eggs, point to this Creator and his plan of redemption of creation.

Babal means confusion in Hebrew. Is it any wonder?
    Unless the whole point of this is to agree with me that Easter has nothing to do with Ishtar, I'm not sure what you're saying.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 03-31-2018 at 09:30 AM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see why it matters, since eggs and rabbits aren't what Christians believe Easter is about.
    It matters because children are taught it. It is a false teaching. They are being deceived and consequently that sort of deception is a tradition of man which made VOID the word of God.

But ultimately, where do they come from? They come from the same God who created everything, who designed the world, who gave us the Sun, Moon, and stars, as signs in the heavens, including the Spring equinox, and who revealed himself to us chiefly through the incarnation of his Son Jesus, who died and rose again. Christians should be able to see how all things, including rabbits and eggs, point to this Creator and his plan of redemption of creation.
    This is the deception that seems to have taken hold in you since you are making excuses for this false teachings. However, if that excuse makes you feel better at night by all means don't let the truth stop you. God's word is Truth and the Truth shall set you free (John 8:32). I am not here to judge you, God is the JUDGE.

Unless the whole point of this is to agree with me that Easter has nothing to do with Ishtar, I'm not sure what you're saying.
    Again, you believe whatever makes you feel good. I personally do not celebrate a man's tradition of Baal worship. I celebrate Passover since Jesus became our Passover and I am forever thankful for the price Jesus paid for all us!

Isaiah 53:5 (KJV)
    5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

It matters because children are taught it. It is a false teaching.
    What false teaching do you think kids are being taught?

If you mean that nonchristians teach kids that Jesus's resurrection isn't historical or doesn't matter, and that Easter is just a cultural tradition, then yes, that's a false teaching.

But when Christians are inspired by God's creation, like eggs and rabbits, to worship the Creator, and memorialize the resurrection of Jesus, what false teaching do you think they're teaching kids?

What false teaching do you think kids are being taught?

If you mean that nonchristians teach kids that Jesus's resurrection isn't historical or doesn't matter, and that Easter is just a cultural tradition, then yes, that's a false teaching.

But when Christians are inspired by God's creation, like eggs and rabbits, to worship the Creator, and memorialize the resurrection of Jesus, what false teaching do you think they're teaching kids?
    Satan is God's creation too and many people will be inspired by his deception when he appears as the Anti-christ. For now, his spirit traverses the earth deceiving as many people as he can because he knows his time is short.

Does the date really matter any more?

Of course we know the Last Supper was the night before the Passover because Jesus died at around three in the afternoon, the same time as the Evening Sacrifice and the killing of the Passover Lambs and couldn't observe the Passover that year because He was in the grave.

I'm confused as to how that calendar in the OP came to be.
    ---------------------
    Here is one that uses the dates as they would be observed Biblically using the first visible crescent of the new moon to start the month.
    Abib is of course, the month where there is ripe barley in the fields and that is the first month.

This one is for 2017
    These Holy Day dates are for Israel and regions westward to the International Date Line.
    This may be Year 6021 After Creation.

Date Sunset Moonset Illum. Sun's [Moon's at Sunset] Sun's Visib Visible?
    (Evening) % Azimuth Azimuth Altitude Alt(M) Number
    27 Mar 5:55 5:18 0.33 93.34 92.99 -8.25 7.71 -65.91 Not Visible
    28 Mar 5:56 6:24 0.50 93.80 90.36 4.84 -5.92 57.48 Not Visible
    29 Mar 5:57 7:30 3.46 94.26 87.56 18.1 -19.4 225.4 Visible
    Abib 1 is Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 CE
    The Passover sacrifice is Wednesday, 12 Apr 2017 CE
    The Feast of Unleavened Bread begins on Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 CE
    and ends on Wednesday, 19 Apr 2017 CE
    The Wave Offering (the First-fruit) is Sunday, 16 Apr 2017 CE
    First-fruits (Pentecost) is Sunday, 4 Jun 2017 CE
    20 Sep 5:38 6:01 0.29 91.00 89.75 3.81 -4.84 44.69 Not Visible
    21 Sep 5:37 6:36 2.39 90.54 79.75 11.4 -12.6 146.5 Visible
    The Day of Trumpets is Friday, 22 Sep 2017 CE
    The Day of Atonement is Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 CE
    The Feast of Tabernacles (Ingathering) begins on Friday, 6 Oct 2017 CE
    and ends on Thursday, 12 Oct 2017 CE
    The Last Great Day is Friday, 13 Oct 2017 CE

Here is one for 2018...
    These Holy Day dates are for Israel and regions westward to the International Date Line.
    This may be Year 6022 After Creation.
    This may be a Sabbatical (Shemittah) Year.

17 Mar 5:48 5:47 0.11 88.59 86.00 -1.06 0.16 -2.758 Not Visible
    18 Mar 5:49 6:46 1.52 89.06 83.87 10.8 -12.1 128.2 Visible
    If this spring's barley harvest is/was early, this New Moon will begin the New Year.
    Abib 1 is Monday, 19 Mar 2018 CE
    The Passover sacrifice is Sunday, 1 Apr 2018 CE
    The Feast of Unleavened Bread begins on Monday, 2 Apr 2018 CE
    and ends on Sunday, 8 Apr 2018 CE
    The Wave Offering (the First-fruit) is Sunday, 8 Apr 2018 CE
    First-fruits (Pentecost) is Sunday, 27 May 2018 CE
    9 Sep 5:53 5:58 0.10 96.08 100.1 0.21 -1.10 8.447 Not Visible
    10 Sep 5:52 6:38 1.32 95.64 89.00 8.75 -9.77 105.1 Prob Visible
    The following Holy Days could be one day later:
    The Day of Trumpets is Tuesday, 11 Sep 2018 CE
    The Day of Atonement is Thursday, 20 Sep 2018 CE
    The Feast of Tabernacles (Ingathering) begins on Tuesday, 25 Sep 2018 CE
    and ends on Monday, 1 Oct 2018 CE
    The Last Great Day is Tuesday, 2 Oct 2018 CE

---------------------
    Now here is the non Biblical calculated Rabbinical calendar for those two years.
    Rabbinical Holy Days are:
    Passover preparation day is MON,10 APR 2017

Feast of Unleavened Bread starts TUE,11 APR 2017
    and runs through MON,17 APR 2017

(Wave Offering) is WED,12 APR 2017

Pentecost is WED,31 MAY 2017

Feast of Trumpets is THU,21 SEP 2017

Day of Atonement is SAB,30 SEP 2017

Feast of Tabernacles starts THU,05 OCT 2017
    and runs through WED,11 OCT 2017

Last Great Day is THU,12 OCT 2017

-------------------

Passover preparation day is FRI,30 MAR 2018

Feast of Unleavened Bread starts SAB,31 MAR 2018
    and runs through FRI,06 APR 2018

(Wave Offering) is SUN,01 APR 2018

Pentecost is SUN,20 MAY 2018

Feast of Trumpets is MON,10 SEP 2018

Day of Atonement is WED,19 SEP 2018

Feast of Tabernacles starts MON,24 SEP 2018
    and runs through SUN,30 SEP 2018

Last Great Day is MON,01 OCT 2018

--------------------
    And then we have the so called Easter Calendar that is also not Biblical.

'Good Friday' is 14 April, 2017 Easter Sunday is 16 April, 2017
    'Good Friday' is 30 March, 2018 Easter Sunday is 01 April, 2018
    --------------------

So I guess it's all about how you go about figuring out the proper date as to when you are going to celebrate Passover.

But really it doesn't matter so much any more as to when.
    1 Corinthians 11:24-26 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. NRS

Satan is God's creation too and many people will be inspired by his deception when he appears as the Anti-christ. For now, his spirit traverses the earth deceiving as many people as he can because he knows his time is short.
    But that doesn't tell me what the false teaching is that you're talking about.

I think kids should be taught about Satan as well, and even the truth about Satan should inspire worship of the Creator.

You know, the only ones these days who know anything, or care about extinct fertility cults and religions are Evangelical and Messianic Christians. Kind of reminds me how strains of illegal drugs get popularized through media and government warnings. If kids start worshiping Ishtar it will be in rebellion to their parents hellfire and brimstone preacher, not because they believe in her.

The old 'gods' are dead, why can't we let them rot and be forgotten? They are lame, they are not real like our living God.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Thank you Father for all the blessings!

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Happy Palm Sunday, donnay! Only one week till Pascha! #cantwaittillthefastisover
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12