Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A border wall GoFundMe? It's one idea Trump, others are weighing to fund project

A border wall GoFundMe? It's one idea Trump, others are weighing to fund project

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world...e_its_one.html

WASHINGTON -- Still angry about the budget deal he signed last week, President Donald Trump has floated the idea of using the military's budget to pay for his long-promised border wall with Mexico, despite the fact that such spending would likely require approval from Congress.

Trump raised the funding plan with House Speaker Paul Ryan at a meeting at the White House last Wednesday, according to a person familiar with the discussion who spoke on condition of anonymity.

And he's publicly tweeted that building "a great Border Wall" is "all about National Defense," and called to "Build WALL through M!", meaning the military.

Departments, however, have limited authority to reprogram funds without congressional approval. Pentagon spokesman Chris Sherwood referred all questions on the wall to the White House, where spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders deflected them, saying she was "not going to get into the specifics of that."

Trump threw Washington into a tizzy on Friday when he threatened to veto the omnibus spending bill, in part because it didn't include the $25 billion he'd tried to secure for the wall in a last-minute bargaining spree.

The $1.3 trillion funding package did include $1.6 billion in border wall spending. But much of that money can only be used to repair existing segments, not build new sections. Congress also put restrictions on the types of barriers that can be built.

Trump has tried to justify signing the deal by pointing to the boost in funding it provides for the military. But he nonetheless remains frustrated, according to people familiar with his thinking, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Trump first publicly floated the idea of having the Pentagon pay for the rest of construction in an obscure tweet that left many confused.

"Building a great Border Wall, with drugs [poison] and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense," he wrote Sunday. "Build WALL through M!"

He retweeted his message again Monday night.

Some people close to the president have also suggested creating a GoFundMe campaign that Trump could use to raise money from the public to fund construction. The White House did not immediately respond to questions about the idea, and it's unclear whether it has gained any serious traction.

Congress, under the Constitution, has the power to determine federal appropriations, and the administration has little authority to shift funding without congressional approval. The Senate Appropriations Committee was not aware of any authority that would allow the Defense Department to fund the wall without congressional approval, said a GOP aide.

Sanders said Tuesday that Trump would work with the White House counsel to make sure any action taken was within his executive authority. And she insisted the "continuation of building the wall is ongoing and we're going to continue moving forward in that process."

Building the wall was one of Trump's top campaign promises, and the idea that drew the loudest cheers from supporters at his rallies. Trump also insisted he'd make Mexico pay for the construction. But Mexico has made clear it has no intention of doing so directly.

Trump has also proposed making Mexico pay for the wall indirectly through measures such as increasing visa fees, imposing new tariffs and targeting remittances.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I see this is now as a possible way around Congress...

Why not have 'go fund me' sites for the entire tax code?

Or let each citizen decide where their taxes are to be spent!

Jan2017

Corporate sponsorship of sections . . . kinda like the wall of the baseball stadiums from Little League to the World Series . . . ?

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"Do you want to end drugs, sex trafficking, the spread of 3rd world disease, terrorism, ect. If you do than donate to this GoFundMe

L
    et's show the Main Stream Media how bad we really need the WALL. This money will go to helping me start a non profit to help fund the wall and many other conservative causes. "

do people actually think a wall would stop those things? jeez lol

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post

"Do you want to end drugs, sex trafficking, the spread of 3rd world disease, terrorism, ect. If you do than donate to this GoFundMe

L
    et's show the Main Stream Media how bad we really need the WALL. This money will go to helping me start a non profit to help fund the wall and many other conservative causes. "

Mexico-specific immigration has had such a free pass being allowed to circumvent the diversity goal of USA immigration policy for so long - to the detriment of so many other nations . . .
    maybe a wall is something that helps them comprehend their lawless, anti-libertarian behavior over the past half century.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Mexico-specific immigration has had such a free pass being allowed to circumvent the diversity goal of USA immigration policy for so long - to the detriment of so many other nations . . .
    maybe a wall is something that helps them comprehend their lawless, anti-libertarian behavior over the past half century.
    Mexico.....Mexico....... oh, you mean that country the US took the west from so European culture could spread their lawless, anti-libertarian behavior first?
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Mexico.....Mexico....... oh, you mean that country the US took the west from so European culture could spread their lawless, anti-libertarian behavior first?
    Irrelevant unless you want to give the continent to @oyarde.

(Not really a bad idea but it isn't going to happen and his relatives don't tend to have very libertarian politics)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

L

What? It's not in Spanish?

How is Mexico supposed to pay for the wall if Mexicans can't read the GoFundMe?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

(Not really a bad idea but it isn't going to happen and his relatives don't tend to have very libertarian politics)
    Forty percent of Oklahoma may get given back to them soon, which suits me. And they're a hell of a lot more freedom oriented than 99 44/100% of the Republican Party.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-29-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

So do you or do you not believe that a wall would stop drugs, sex trafficking, 3rd world disease, and terrorism in the US? Building a wall around the US "defense" contractors and military will definitely decrease terrorism in the rest of the world.

Libertarian Institute article: https://www.libertarianinstitute.org...half-mexicans/

A Kind Word on Behalf of the Mexicans

“The immigration problem” or “the border problem” has been a heated topic of debate and politicking in recent years. (This recent spurt is only the most recent in a series that goes back for centuries in U.S. history.) In large part this debate pertains to the entry of Mexicans, especially undocumented Mexicans, into the USA. For those who support a strong “closed borders” or “secure the border” position, the debate often involves claims about Mexicans—what sort of people they are, what one may reasonably expect them to do if they become residents of the USA, what crimes they have committed or will commit in the future, and so forth. Anyone who is familiar with Mexicans is struck repeatedly by the sheer ignorance and the false claims that immigration opponents marshal in support of their position. The president himself has trotted out howlers about Mexican rapists and drug traffickers as important, standing problems of even the existing flow of Mexicans into the USA.

I have a working familiarity with the social science literature on immigration. (In the past I have written articles for economic history and demography journals that dealt with various aspects of immigration in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.) More to the point for present purposes, I have considerable personal experience with Mexicans. I grew up on the rural west side of California’s San Joaquin Valley in the 1950s in a place with a population composed of about two-thirds Mexicans and their native-born children. In October 2015, I emigrated from the USA, and since then I have lived in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. I speak Spanish, though not with the fluency I would like, and in one way or another I deal with Mexicans nearly every day. So when I think or speak about Mexicans I do so with some personal as well as scholarly background.

In this light, I am stunned by how many Americans have a false impression of Mexicans. Of course, any generalization about them will be subject to qualifications. Mexico is a large, diverse country with a large, diverse population. And obviously from individual to individual great variations exist. No population consists of nothing but good people (however defined) or nothing but bad people (however defined).

Overall, I have found Mexicans—both those with whom I grew up in California and those among whom I now reside in Mexico—on average to be fine people in all relevant dimensions. They are devoted to their families and love their children. They are extremely hard workers, often under extraordinarily difficult and unpleasant conditions. They are good-natured and friendly, courteous and generous. They are also in many cases surprisingly resourceful, knowing how to build or repair all sorts of things, often without proper tools or materials. Many of them have an artistic capacity that allows them to create various products that are not only practical but also beautiful. Centuries of oppression and brutality by the ruling classes have not destroyed their hope for a better future, and they are often willing to bear great personal costs in order to make that future better for themselves and their children.

In view of the sorts of people they actually are—not as they are painted by vicious politicians and border bullies—one might well suppose that not only are they not an especially worrisome kind of immigrants to the USA, but instead exactly the kind that native-born American should welcome, the sort that among other things will do thousands of difficult and uninviting tasks—for example, working in poultry or meatpacking plants, putting on roofs, holding down building and highway construction and masonry jobs in rain and summer heat, cleaning hotel rooms, cooking and cleaning in restaurants, harvesting crops such as apples, asparagus, strawberries, and hundreds of others that demand backbreaking manual labor, and so on and on—tasks that native-born workers are not exactly clamoring to perform these days.

Jan2017

Oh that is rather old history . . .
    but yeah, those same old Mexicans that would guillotine off the hand of a Florida Indian for not panning enough gold for Cortez -
    ya' know the basic Mexican anti-libertarian property rights malfeasance.

But we'll encourage everyone to think modern era more for modern era solutions, why ignore what has been going on for the past several decades ?
    Yes, glad you realize it is only the one problem nation in the global community that has messed up the diversity goals of the Founders - to everyone's detriment.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 03-29-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Oh that is rather old history . . .
    but yeah, those same old Mexicans that would guillotine off the hand of a Florida Indian for not panning enough gold for Cortez -
    ya' know the basic Mexican anti-libertarian property rights malfeasance.

But we'll encourage everyone to think modern era more for modern era solutions, why ignore what has been going on for the past several decades ?
    But yes, glad you realize it is only the one problem nation in the global community that has messed up the diversity goals of the Founders - to everyone's detriment.
    Sorta like those Brits who were the real scalpers, famous for it in the British Isles, & paid $20 for every Indian scalp, man, woman, or child, that was brought in.

Oh, and BTW- Cortez was Spanish, not Mexican. I believe that Spain was part of Europe back in the day.
    There is no spoon.

Sorta like those Brits who were the real scalpers, famous for it in the British Isles, & paid $20 for every Indian scalp, man, woman, or child, that was brought in.

Oh, and BTW- Cortez was Spanish, not Mexican. I believe that Spain was part of Europe back in the day.
    stop it these facts are getting in the way of senseless bigotry

Mexicans are half Spanish and have almost always been ruled by those of primarily Spanish decent.
    Mexico was not a liberty oriented country

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Excellent Idea . We can have competing models . I will take Ohio , Upstate NY , Indiana , Kentucky and Northernmost Tenn as mine . Evict all state govt in the House , senates and Gov mansions . I will be sole Chieftain and select a council and we can compare results from my new free market economy with the lesser subcontinent of Amerika .

Excellent Idea . We can have competing models . I will take Ohio , Upstate NY , Indiana , Kentucky and Northernmost Tenn as mine . Evict all state govt in the House , senates and Gov mansions . I will be sole Chieftain and select a council and we can compare results from my new free market economy with the lesser subcontinent of Amerika . Occasio.nal raids on South - Canada ( Minnesota ) might be needed to keep my Warriors happy but nobody cares about South Canada anyway

Jan2017

stop it these facts are getting in the way of senseless bigotry
    Yep . . . not a hero to the Aztecs. Still, Mexico abuse of the global immigration diversity to USA has been a problem is - fact.
    Ignoring it still after decades makes little sense. illegal Mexico immigration should impact future immigration from the problem nation -
    it is only fair to all other nations, as Mexico gets a somewhat just penalty for their abuses of the immigration goals of the USA for the prosperity of all.
    The conquest of Mexico began with an expedition to search for gold on the American mainland. In 1519 Cortés led about 450 men to Mexico and made his way from Veracruz on the Gulf Coast to the island city of Tenochtitlan, the stunningly beautiful Aztec capital situated in Lake Texcoco.
    Spanish interest soon shifted from the Caribbean to the American mainland, where settlers hoped to find more resources to exploit. During the early sixteenth century, Spanish conquistadors (“conquerors“) pressed beyond the Caribbean islands, moving west into Mexico and south into Panama and Peru. Between 1519 and 1521 Hernán Cortés and a small band of men brought down the Aztec empire in Mexico, and between 1532 and 1533 Francisco Pizarro and his followers toppled the Inca empire in Peru. These conquests laid the foundations for colonial regimes that would transform the Americas.
    https://www.historians.org/teaching-...uest-of-mexico
    Last edited by Jan2017; 03-29-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Excellent Idea . We can have competing models . I will take Ohio , Upstate NY , Indiana , Kentucky and Northernmost Tenn as mine . Evict all state govt in the House , senates and Gov mansions . I will be sole Chieftain and select a council and we can compare results from my new free market economy with the lesser subcontinent of Amerika . Occasio.nal raids on South - Canada ( Minnesota ) might be needed to keep my Warriors happy but nobody cares about South Canada anyway
    Maybe you can conquer S. Canada and give it to @Danke.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yep . . . not a hero to the Aztecs.

Spanish interest soon shifted from the Caribbean to the American mainland, where settlers hoped to find more resources to exploit. During the early sixteenth century, Spanish conquistadors (“conquerors“) pressed beyond the Caribbean islands, moving west into Mexico and south into Panama and Peru. Between 1519 and 1521 Hernán Cortés and a small band of men brought down the Aztec empire in Mexico, and between 1532 and 1533 Francisco Pizarro and his followers toppled the Inca empire in Peru. These conquests laid the foundations for colonial regimes that would transform the Americas.
    https://www.historians.org/teaching-...uest-of-mexico
    Those fun loving Aztecs were SO liberty oriented.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They way over paid, my Viking ancestors would have traded them for much less.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Maybe you can conquer S. Canada and give it to @Danke.
    I have already been contacted by about twelve tribes for nearly all of south - canada , leaves a couple cities but I think the Hmong , Somalians and Mexicans etc have designs on that . As a pilot Danke should be able to get on with the Somalian Taxi company .

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    They way over paid, my Viking ancestors would have traded them for much less.
    If you keep talking like that Oyarde won't let you rule Minnesota when the collapse comes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Those fun loving Aztecs were SO liberty oriented.

lol - ok, not the point. Cortez was a Spaniard cutting off Indians hands on the western shores of Florida,
    as they sought gold for Europe is a fact. Spaniards toppled the Incas in Peru as well as they conquered Central and South America.

The eastern Florida Indian tribes were very peaceful and not the same tribe.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 03-29-2018 at 04:20 PM.

lol - ok, not the point. Cortez was a Spaniard cutting off Indians hands on the western shores of Florida,
    as they sought gold for Europe

Spaniards toppled the Incas in Peru as well.
    The point is that none of the Mexican's cultural ancestors were superior to America.

And as you pointed out it is all ancient history now anyway.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If you keep talking like that Oyarde won't let you rule Minnesota when the collapse comes.

When the collapse comes, me and my fellow Norsemen will be overrunning his people's casinos and good fishing spots. We may allow a few to survive and harvest Wild Rice for us.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Jan2017

So do you or do you not believe that a wall would stop drugs, sex trafficking, 3rd world disease, and terrorism in the US? Building a wall around the US "defense" contractors and military will definitely decrease terrorism in the rest of the world.
    Like guns . . . criminals are gonna get guns and as well - a wall ain't stopping criminals.

The fairness of an immigration policy to create a diverse and prosperous nation has been exploited with a rather porous border -
    partially open border for all seems fairer - rather than the status quo unfettered Mexico abuse.

Mexicans are half Spanish and have almost always been ruled by those of primarily Spanish decent.
    Mexico was not a liberty oriented country
    Which means they're not much different than most Americans- a mixture of European and what-not.

And, yes, Mexico is liberty oriented. The people, over-all, are a good, hard-working, family oriented culture. The doctors are some of the best in the world.

Many Americans live there and are very happy with the easiness of life and the friendship of those around them.
    There is no spoon.

Which means they're not much different than most Americans- a mixture of European and what-not.

And, yes, Mexico is liberty oriented. The people, over-all, are a good, hard-working, family oriented culture. The doctors are some of the best in the world.

Many Americans live there and are very happy with the easiness of life and the friendship of those around them.
    They are pro-family, pro-gun, anti- abortion and more likely to be church going than the average American. We don't want values like that contaminating the white Christian USA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast