Thread: Think You're Smart About Politics? You Might Be Libertarian

Think You're Smart About Politics? You Might Be Libertarian

A study of voters' tendencies toward emotional or analytical decisions confirms some stereotypes.

You might think that politics is an area where being analytical is especially useful. If you do, well, I have news for you: Libertarians measure as being the most analytical political group. That’s according to something called the cognitive reflection test, which is designed to measure whether an individual will override his or her immediate emotional responses and give a question further consideration. So if you aren’t a libertarian, maybe you ought to give that philosophy another look. It’s a relatively exclusive club, replete with people who are politically engaged, able to handle abstract arguments and capable of deeper reflection.

What else can we learn from this new study of political and analytical tendencies, conducted by Gordon Pennycook and David G. Rand of Yale University?

For the 2016 election, one group that measured as especially nonanalytical was Democrats who crossed party lines and voted for Donald Trump. There is a stereotype of a less well-educated voter, perhaps both white and male, who reacts negatively and emotionally to Hillary Clinton, who decided to vote for Trump even if Trump’s actual policies will not prove in his best interest. For all the dangers of stereotyping, the study’s data are consistent with that picture.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...tarians-on-top

Everything seems to check out. Libertarians are just smarter.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chances are they would be smarter . They would be more likely to have basic knowledge of free markets , real money etc . Things most americans know nothing of .

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    And for lack of analytical inclinations, no non-libertarian will read this.

...it's rather like proving the calculus on a planet inhabited by nothing but sea sponges.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    And yet, they nominated Gary Johnson. lol

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Doh!
    "The Patriarch"

I tend to agree with emotion helping Trump win. Before we all start su..er..patting each other on the back, there was plenty of emotion to go around in "libertarian" circles as well as everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And the Democrats market heavily to them [emotion]. Emotion vs. logic is the key.

If we look at the Democrats and Republicans in terms of the Myers-Briggs, Thinking vs. Feeling indicator, 75% of women are "Feeling", 75% of men are "Thinking".

Thus as a simplified example, in a two Party system with a sterile environment free of marriage, family and other entanglements, women would probably be 75% Democrat, and men would be 75% Republican.

Now this does not indicate a particular position on any given issue. Any issue can be argued from an emotional standpoint (Feeling) or a reasoning standpoint (Thinking). So the Democrats come at every issue from an emotional angle, while Republicans tend to come from a reasoning perspective. It an issue of style and focus, with a big portion of dividing into "us vs. them" thrown in.

Good arguments for any given issue should come from both emotional and rational positions, thus the power of the two Parties is weakened.

While the MBTI T/F trend is a statistical generalization, we should always remember that everyone is an individual, and that the percentages are not absolute. 25% of women are "Thinking", while 25% of men are "Feeling".
    It was an interesting election, with quite a bit of emotion. And an interesting twist where the Party of emotion had a cold, calculating robot (Hillary), and the Party of thinking had an emotional candidate (Trump).

Hillary tries to play to emotion, but no matter how much she said "girl power" and "racists", no one believed her. She could not generate any emotional appeal. On the other hand, Trump catered mostly to emotion, and successfully generated it in huge amounts, both in those who cheered him, and those who detested him. It was possibly the most emotion driven election in history (albeit hard to determine without living through all of them).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

A calculated decision. Not a terribly good calculation.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Depending on what your objective is. LP is not a viable option? Done and done.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Johnson/Weld = division-by-zero error ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I tend to agree with emotion helping Trump win. Before we all start su..er..patting each other on the back, there was plenty of emotion to go around in "libertarian" circles as well as everywhere else.

It was an interesting election, with quite a bit of emotion. And an interesting twist where the Party of emotion had a cold, calculating robot (Hillary), and the Party of thinking had an emotional candidate (Trump).

Hillary tries to play to emotion, but no matter how much she said "girl power" and "racists", no one believed her. She could not generate any emotional appeal. On the other hand, Trump catered mostly to emotion, and successfully generated it in huge amounts, both in those who cheered him, and those who detested him. It was possibly the most emotion driven election in history (albeit hard to determine without living through all of them).
    We need libertarians who can lead emotional sheeple.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

"I was born on a pirate ship, with a bunch of apples..."

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Not great but at least I can stand to look at him.
    There is no spoon.

lol LP has been LINO for a long time, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

They should have gone with the naked guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...us-authoritar/

Former Republican Rep. Ron Paul on Wednesday blasted GOP presidential hopeful Donald Trump as a “dangerous” authoritarian on a power trip who won’t value civil liberties the way a U.S. president should.

“I think he’s is a dangerous person,” said Mr. Paul, whose son, Sen. Rand Paul is running against Mr. Trump for the Republican presidential nomination.

And a lot of people find him sort of funny, and love him, even Libertarian types,” Mr. Paul, who is now a registered Libertarian, lamented on Fox News Radio. “They like him because he’s so disruptive to the party system, and I enjoy that too. But I think he’s a man that if conditions deteriorate, which they can — see I work on the assumption that the world is no more stable than Greece, and if those conditions come, people want to be told what to do: ‘And I know what the answer is, and I’ll do this, and I am the man to this.’

“And [Mr. Trump] comes across this very well, and people listen to him, and I believe he may be raising white horses someplace and he’s going to ride in,” Mr. Paul continued. “Because he is almost the opposite of a Libertarian, because it’s not like ‘I want to give you your freedom and your liberty to run your life as you choose. Your civil liberties are absolutely yours, you can’t hurt anybody, it’s your own money you can spend it any way you want.’ But he sounds like the person, ‘I know the answers and I’m going to do this and I’ve done this, I’ve done this, this and this.’”

“An authoritarian?” Fox’s Alan Colmes asked.

“He’s an authoritarian and that’s the way he claims he made all his money. So I see that as dangerous,” Mr. Paul responded.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/24/ron-...p-nominee.html

The race for the White House has become "Trump-ism versus Sander-ism," said Paul, referring to Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders. He said both approaches are "not a whole lot different" in their wrongheadedness.

Sanders wants to make the government bigger and Trump wants to be the government, said Paul, who unsuccessfully sought the GOP presidential nomination in 2008 and 2012. He also ran in a failed bid for the White House in 1988 as the nominee of the Libertarian Party.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

When Ron Paul agrees with your anti-republican views, you quote him. Otherwise, what he says is the antithesis of your support of the Democrat Party positions.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Yes pro-liberty people tend to be more thoughtful than others, but are still susceptible to emotions and manipulation like everyone else (to a lesser degree though).
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Was the party infiltrated by intelligence agencies?

Libertarians are bad but anarchists are the worst. They think their smarter then everybody.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Libertarians are bad but anarchists are the worst. They think their smarter then everybody.
    Acshually, it's "They'r...

Wait...

We need libertarians who can lead emotional sheeple.
    I've been saying that for years, but no one cares. Libertarians are very emotional about logic.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy