Thread: Thomas Massie broke the one House rule you’re not supposed to break

Thomas Massie broke the one House rule you’re not supposed to break

Thomas Massie broke the one House rule you’re not supposed to break — and he wants your rep to do it too
    Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie explains why the omnibus was a “complete betrayal,” why banning bump stocks is “ridiculous,” and why votes on the “rules” in Congress are the most important votes.
    By Chris Pandolfo - March 26, 2018

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., is fiercely independent. He likes to remind us how he was the only Republican in the House of Representatives who did not vote for Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., for speaker of the House. When most of the GOP conference was pushing an Obamacare replacement bill that did not fully repeal Obamacare, Massie changed his vote to “Hell No.” A constitutional conservative with a libertarian disposition, he refuses to join the House Freedom Caucus because after their two-hour meeting, they’ll end up voting the right way right along with him. And if they don’t vote with him? Well, he’s not afraid to tell fellow conservatives when he thinks they’re dead wrong.

Massie believes passing last week’s $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill was dead wrong. On Saturday, March 24, Massie delivered the keynote address at a Young Americans for Liberty summit in Charlotte, N.C. Before he gave his speech, Massie spoke with Conservative Review, describing the process leading up to the 2,232-page bill’s passage as reminiscent of a “banana republic.”

Speaking with Massie, it is clear that he is morally outraged by what he calls a “complete betrayal” of the American electorate. He blames Republican leadership for breaking Republican promises to voters. But he also blames his rank-and-file colleagues, whom he says “succumbed to the swamp” by voting for procedural rules that surrender their power as lawmakers to leadership.

Massie says leadership has “one rule” in Congress: “Never vote against the rule that comes out of the Rules Committee.” He was one of 25 Republicans to break this rule by voting against the procedural rule to advance the omnibus. In this interview, he explains why other conservatives need to buck the rules before Congress can change.
    Full interview transcript: https://www.conservativereview.com/a...eak-wants-rep/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://twitter.com/kelliwardaz/stat...86782680051712
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/stat...72808752844802

If I believed we had followed some kind of orderly process that represents a republic that our Founding Fathers envisioned, and then had come to this outcome, I would be more accepting of it. But the fact that it more resembles a Banana Republic than a real republic deeply saddens me.
    Banana Republic? Now that you mention it, yes, it does.

Well, worth the read. He does a really good job of laying it out. For many they have no representative in Congress. Just those that have senior members of committees.

https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/978787787792158720

Glad to know Progress is being made™.

This is the rule vote that Massie refers to:

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/stat...44989018845187

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...86410555428864

This is what happens when you vote anarchists into office.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Keep up the good work.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump