Thread: The gift that keeps on giving: Spending bill authorizes "CLOUD Act"

Exclamation The gift that keeps on giving: Spending bill authorizes "CLOUD Act"

Man, the hits just keep coming with this nightmare.

MAGA!

CLOUD Act Hitches A Ride With Spending Bill

https://mediapost.com/publications/a...ding-bill.html

by Ray Schultz , Columnist, Yesterday

One of the many items stuffed into the U.S. spending bill — a bill that had to be passed by both houses of Congress by midnight Friday to continue funding the government — is the Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data [CLOUD] Act. This would resolve the email privacy issue now before the Supreme Court in the case of U.S. vs. Microsoft.

As argued before the High Court earlier this month, the Department of Justice contends that Microsoft must disclose emails needed in a drug investigation that are stored in the cloud in Ireland. The Justices seemed to learn toward the DOJ’s view.

The CLOUD Act would allow law enforcement to access emails and other digital data even if stored overseas, through the use of search warrants.

Warrants could be utilized when seeking information from partner countries, thus skirting the normal treaty process, reports state.

According to Reuters, current mutual legal assistant treaties “involve a formal diplomatic request for data and require the host country to obtain a warrant on behalf of the requesting country. That can often take several months and are considered burdensome by law enforcement.”

Microsoft approves of the legislation.

“The CLOUD Act creates a modern legal framework for how law enforcement agencies can access data across borders,” states Brad Smith, president and chief legal officer of Microsoft, in a post.

He adds that the bill “also responds directly to the needs of governments frustrated about their inability to investigate crimes in their own countries,” while ensuring “appropriate protections for privacy and human rights.”

The Senate bill’s co-author, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), states: "The CLOUD Act will create a clear, balanced framework for law enforcement to access data stored in other countries while at the same time encouraging our allies to strengthen their domestic privacy laws.”

However, As MediaPost’s Wendy Davis reported in February, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) argues that “the CLOUD Act would give unlimited jurisdiction to U.S. law enforcement over any data controlled by a service provider, regardless of where the data is stored and who created it," the EFF writes.

The EFF adds: “The breadth of such unilateral extraterritorial access creates a dangerous precedent for other countries who may want to access information stored outside their own borders, including data stored in the United States."

During oral arguments in the Microsoft case, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg observed that “Congress can write a statute that takes account of various interests. And it isn't just all or nothing.”

She inferred that rather than SCOTUS making a decision, it might be wiser for Congress to regulate “this brave new world.”

The $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill, containing many controversial provisions, was passed by the House on Thursday morning. But it faced some opposition in the Senate.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is ECHELON on steroids.

So what they do is have foreign governments collect all the "CLOUD" data, then send it back to the US, without having to go through that burdensome process of obtaining a warrant.

Foreign governments will also be able to turn over data on U.S. citizens gathered in the course of investigating their own citizens to U.S. law enforcement without a warrant, according to the ACLU.
    https://www.geekwire.com/2018/presid...ft-cloud-data/

Omnibus Spending Bill Allows More Illegal Aliens to Be Released into U.S. Through ‘Catch and Release’

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...h-and-release/

Thank you for being honest.

I can see why some might hope for the best and give a benefit of the doubt to some murky policy statements and decisions, and hell, might even ignore some things for the greater good as they see it, but there really is no defending this.

It takes spray paint and a paper bag to believe Trump is directly or indirectly promoting liberty.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is ECHELON on steroids.

So what they do is have foreign governments collect all the "CLOUD" data, then send it back to the US, without having to go through that burdensome process of obtaining a warrant.

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/presid...ft-cloud-data/
    Yeah but brown people are scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    What's that got to do with anything?

And you talk about other people promoting "culture wars." Thread diversion and trolling. Neg rep.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-24-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyway, back to the topic. I don't know why so many people use cloud technology. Okay, I actually do know. They love their little gadgetry that makes them feel so empowered and special. Also, I haven't seen any stories of people losing their data for good, but I would guess it has happened. This is yet another reason to have self-contained storage and/or back-up. Remote storage is probably useful in some situations, but people often don't take the time to evaluate the pluses and minuses.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-24-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

From a few years back, but I think a lot of this still applies. Look what's happening with people getting cut off on Youtube because of their "controversial" material. Don't know if it's the same thing, but you're relying on someone else.

The Cloud: Risky, Unreliable, and Dumb

Let's take a careful look at the cloud troubles of late. I know a lot of my readers associate me with skepticism regarding the viability of cloud computing. In fact, I have never thought the cloud and the idea of cloud computing was not viable. I think it's risky, unreliable, and dumb for many uses. Let's review.

Risky

The risky part is the fact that in many instances the cloud vendor could take a dislike to you for no apparent reason and shut you off, costing you all your data. By this, I refer to the many instances of people using mostly free services, and then suddenly the vendor decides the person is a spammer or unwanted in some community and the account gets closed. There is generally no recourse in many of these instances because too many cloud services don't have customer service. The whole idea behind many of the cloud concepts is about doing things cheaper. This thinking carries over to the entire operation and often there is nobody home, ever.

This scenario has happened over and over, and I often get letters from people, complaining that their Yahoo Mail account was buttoned up or they were kicked off. Hacking can also account for this, as too many people use "Password" for their password, because it says to type "password."

So I say it's risky because of users' over-reliance and failure to adequately back up everything and failure to have a back-up strategy. For example, let's look at two of the cloud services that I use: MailChimp and LinkedIn. I have a database of contacts on each system, and I back them up once in a while. This doesn't do me much good with LinkedIn, except to keep track of names, since it is a business networking scheme that cannot be duplicated off-site or locally. But with Mail Chimp, I can export the names to another similar system if necessary.

These and other cloud services are quite useful and valuable. My concern is the idea of reliance. What happens if I cannot access these services and how likely is that to happen? I'd prefer to do things locally. With LinkedIn, it's not possible, and with MailChimp, I cannot do it as well. So the cloud wins.

Unreliable

The reliability of the cloud is another problem I have. What happens when the cloud service just dies? It has happened to all the big boys. Even Amazon has issues. Google had problems and lost email accounts. Microsoft recently had a set back. And we've all watched Sony struggle with its online gaming system. This is the tip of the iceberg, and I cannot see how it will ever end. This is now particularly true because hackers have apparently decided to target cloud operations.

Local computers crap out too. But when your desktop machine dies, all your personal information and credit card data is not going to Eastern Europe to be used by criminals. You know the headline "ONE MILLION credit cards stolen!" How come nobody is asking exactly why this data is not encrypted? How can any credit card data be stolen if it's encrypted? And if it's taken at a level where it has been de-encrypted, what's the point of encryption in the first place? This again is a reflection of reliability. It's not reliable; it's just a cheaper way to do things.

Dumb

Then finally there is the "dumb" reason I dislike cloud computing. Woody Leonard wrote an interesting article about the outages of the Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite. This sort of situation exemplifies dumb, along with the other attempts by Microsoft to move its regular Office Suite to something in the cloud that users can subscribe to. If something can be done locally, then it's dumb to put it in the cloud. It's dumb for the two reasons cited above: it's risky and unreliable. Plus, it's dumb because it adds a layer of complexity to something that should be simple.

I guess my point is that users have to be thoughtful and ask themselves three questions. How much can I trust the cloud provider? What can I do if the system fails? And finally, can I do this locally?

In other words, just think about things a little bit before you get carried away.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385463,00.asp
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-24-2018 at 02:46 AM.

The cloud isn't really about individual usage plans ...

-Rep
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    And you talk about other people promoting "culture wars." Thread diversion and trolling. Neg rep.
    The Vampire is getting more daring.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Anyway, back to the topic. I don't know why so many people use cloud technology. Okay, I actually do know. They love their little gadgetry that makes them feel so empowered and special. Also, I haven't seen any stories of people losing their data for good, but I would guess it has happened. This is yet another reason to have self-contained storage and/or back-up. Remote storage is probably useful in some situations, but people often don't take the time to evaluate the pluses and minuses.
    Cloud computing just cedes control over your data to tech companies. But PR is strong so people are drawn to it. It doesnt help you have hack online tech blog writers touting the benefits of cloud computing.