Thread: Trump Overturns Obama-Era Law: Bans All Bump Stock Devices

Trump Overturns Obama-Era Law: Bans All Bump Stock Devices

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-stock-devices

Perhaps needing a distraction from the fiscal folly of today's $1.3 trillion monster spending bill... or perhaps looking to show progress ahead of tomorrow's expected-to-be-huge "march For Life" across America, President Trump has swung his Oval Office ax at another Obama-era law and followed through on his promise to ban bump stocks.

Obama Administration legalized bump stocks. BAD IDEA. As I promised, today the Department of Justice will issue the rule banning BUMP STOCKS with a mandated comment period. We will BAN all devices that turn legal weapons into illegal machine guns.
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 23, 2018

Full Statement from AG Sessions:

ATTORNEY GENERAL SESSIONS ANNOUNCES REGULATION EFFECTIVELY BANNING BUMP STOCKS

ASHINGTON - Today, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, clarifying that bump stocks fall within the definition of "machinegun" under federal law, as such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.

In making the announcement, Attorney General Sessions made the following statement:

"Since the day he took office, President Trump has had no higher priority than the safety of each and every American," said Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

"That is why today the Department of Justice is publishing for public comment a proposed rulemaking that would define `machinegun' to include bump stock-type devices under federal law - effectively banning them. After the senseless attack in Las Vegas, this proposed rule is a critical step in our effort to reduce the threat of gun violence that is in keeping with the Constitution and the laws passed by Congress. I look forward to working with the President's School Safety Commission to identify other ways to keep our country and our children safe, and I thank the President for his courageous leadership on this issue."

On February 20, 2018, the President issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General "to dedicate all available resources to... propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns." This NPRM is in response to that direction, and would make clear that the term "machinegun" as used in the National Firearms Act (NFA), as amended, and Gun Control Act (GCA), as amended, includes all bump-stock-type devices that harness recoil energy to facilitate the continuous operation of a semiautomatic long gun after a single pull of the trigger. If the NPRM is made final, bump-stock-type devices would be effectively banned under federal law and current possessors of bump-stock-type devices would be required to surrender, destroy, or otherwise render the devices permanently inoperable.

Full article on link.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

publishing for public comment a proposed rulemaking

Is it possible for 500,000 people to send 2,400 page comments each and jam it up?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Is it possible for 500,000 people to send 2,400 page comments each and jam it up?
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    No
    How do you know that?
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    How do you know that?
    Because they pay no mind to what us Mundanes have to say anyways.

"Comment Periods" in the regulatory state tyranny we live in are just a formality, like voting was in the USSR.

"That is why today the Department of Justice is publishing for public comment a proposed rulemaking that would define `machinegun' to include bump stock-type devices under federal law - effectively banning them. After the senseless attack in Las Vegas, this proposed rule is a critical step in our effort to reduce the threat of gun violence that is in keeping with the Constitution and the laws passed by Congress. I look forward to working with the President's School Safety Commission to identify other ways to keep our country and our children safe, and I thank the President for his courageous leadership on this issue."
    Bump stocks are banned.

New sales of fully automatic weapons are banned.

This is somehow "in keeping with the Constitution".

Shall Not Be Infringed is what it says.

Can somebody please explain how wholesale bans of parts and weapons are not "infringing".

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Bump stocks are banned.

New sales of fully automatic weapons are banned.

This is somehow "in keeping with the Constitution".

Can somebody please explain how wholesale bans of parts and weapons are not "infringing".
    PAST time.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    PAST time.
    Long long past time.

Out of control deficit spending, gun bans, and a half a billion for abortions.

This $#@!ing guy is out-Obama-ing Obama.

Out of control deficit spending, gun bans, and a half a billion for abortions.

This $#@!ing guy is out-Obama-ing Obama.
    Better than Hillary?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Better than Hillary?
    Not anymore.

I have tried to give the benefit of doubt, tried to be "open minded" on this guy.

Not anymore.

He is what everybody knew he was all along: a NYC progressive playing the role of a "limited government conservative", a hustler, a flim flam man, a con artist.

Worse yet, an unabashed worshiper of the police state type progressive.

Wait until the next "terror" attack happens...watch what little liberty we have left disappear.

We would have been much better off as the "enraged opposition".

Obama was the best thing to ever happen to gun rights, and I made more money under his regime than I ever did in my life.

Under Trump, I'm going backwards, slowly losing money every month, making (in real FRNs), what I was making 25 years ago and the outfit I work for went bankrupt.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-23-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Not anymore.

I have tried to give the benefit of doubt, tried to be "open minded" on this guy.

Not anymore.

He is what everybody knew he was all along: a NYC progressive playing the role of a "limited government conservative", a hustler, a flim flam man, a con artist.

Worse yet, an unabashed worshiper of the police state type progressive.

Wait until the next "terror" attack happens...watch what little liberty we have left disappear.

We would have been much better off as the "enraged opposition".

Obama was the best thing to ever happen to gun rights, and I made more money under his regime than I ever did in my life.

Under Trump, I'm going backwards, slowly losing money every month, making (in real FRNs), what I was making 25 years ago and the outfit I work for went bankrupt.
    Yep. And worse than Hillary in that he got our former allies to cheer for him. The preeminent conman.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I feel so much safer now
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The supreme court has explained it multiple times, even the strictest constitutionalists. It doesn't mean what you think it means.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    The supreme court has explained it multiple times, even the strictest constitutionalists. It doesn't mean what you think it means.
    The FF's didn't want me purchasing what I damn well please?

Because they pay no mind to what us Mundanes have to say anyways.

"Comment Periods" in the regulatory state tyranny we live in are just a formality, like voting was in the USSR.
    I think he was talking about technical capability to jam it up. But yeah, they're not even reading internet comments, let alone be influenced by them.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Who were the most Constitutional Justices within the SCOTUS?

Maybe a top five, in your opinion.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump