Thread: Family Visits Gun Range — Their Kids Get Suspended From School

Family Visits Gun Range — Their Kids Get Suspended From School

You wouldn’t think your kids could get suspended from school just because you exercised your constitutionally guaranteed rights off campus, but this is apparently what happened to one New Jersey family. It’s not that the school district jumped the gun, either — rather, the punitive action was prescribed by official policy. As Fox News reported Sunday:

A New Jersey high school came under fire Friday after it allegedly suspended two students over a gun photo taken during a family visit to a shooting range.
    News of the unnamed students’ suspension circulated through a Lacey Township Facebook group, according to NJ.com.
    Amanda Buron, a Lacey resident and family friend of one of the suspended students said one of the photos shared on SnapChat featured four rifles, magazines, and a gun duffel with the caption “fun day at the range,” NJ.com reported.
    Buron said the two students received a five-day in-school suspension after the picture drew the attention of Lacey Township High School officials, who argued that it violated the school’s policy on weapons possession.
    The school district shortly faced community backlash for the alleged suspension, with many calling for people to appear at the school board’s next meeting on Monday to protest the decision.

Unsurprisingly, district officials hid under their desks when asked for comment. As NJ.com reported, “Lacey schools Superintendent Craig Wigley said in an email to NJ Advance Media on Thursday that ‘information posted on social media is incorrect’,” but “declined to say what aspect of the accounts posted on social media is inaccurate.” He also claimed that he couldn’t discuss student-related “private matters.” This is a typical educator dodge.
    What the district couldn’t dodge was the reality of an overreaching policy, which actually stated that “students could be suspended for up to a year if they are ‘reported to be in possession of a weapon of any type for any reason or purpose on or off school grounds,’” NJ.com further related.
    This inspired pro-Second Amendment groups to threaten a lawsuit, as educators have no legitimate power to ban students from exercising constitutionally protected rights anywhere and everywhere and at all times — even off school grounds. It’s as if a government school prohibited students from expressing certain political viewpoints off campus; it would be the government suppression of free speech.
    As the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs’ (ANJRPC’) executive director Scott Bach put it, after sending a cease and desist letter to the district, “Schools do not have the authority to chill the rights of their students off of school grounds, and this blatant infringement of constitutional rights will not be tolerated.... The policy has got to go,” NJ.com also informed.

And it did go.

NJ.com reported today that the “Lacey school district quietly changed” the policy, scrapping the off-school-grounds prohibition and eliminating suspension-length specificity. “‘Students are forbidden to carry any type of weapon or simulated weapon to school,’ the revamped policy states. ‘Strict disciplinary action and legal actions will result if this occurs,’” the news organ detailed.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...ed-from-school
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lacey Twp. is one of the few areas in NJ that is "conservative", right in the heart of deep red Ocean County.

Hope these people raise seven levels of holy hell.

They should rejoice! It is the best thing that could have happened to that family.

Back in 1972, I took a solid black cast iron Peace Maker pistol to school for show and tell. It had no moving parts, but they stole if from me and I can't find another to replace it.

Looks like things haven't changed.

Comment section is 99 to 1 against the school, so that's a plus.

I'm torn on this however.

On the one hand, I want to chastise the parents and kids for posting and blabbing all over the internet about what they were doing. I am almost universally opposed to this, keep your life to yourself, stop posting every intimate detail on FedBook, InstaCrap or SnapperChat or what the $#@! ever. No one $#@!ing cares, outside of people, like these $#@! "administrators" at this school that you don't want poking around in your life.

On the other hand, keeping and bearing arms should be as common as wearing a hat or driving a car. The only way for that to happen is to continually drum images of keeping and bearing arms into everybody's head.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-21-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Maybe the parents ought to reject the school as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

On the one hand, I want to chastise the parents and kids for posting and blabbing all over the internet about what they were doing. I am almost universally opposed to this, keep your life to yourself, stop posting every intimate detail on FedBook, InstaCrap or SnapperChat or what the $#@! ever. No one $#@!ing cares, outside of people, like these $#@! "administrators" at this school that you don't want poking around in your life.

On the other hand, keeping and bearing arms should be as common as wearing a hat or driving a car. The only way for that to happen is to continually drum images of keeping and bearing arms into everybody's head.
    In this day & age it may be best to "go grey", especially with your kids.
    There is no spoon.

Who is going to the 2A Rally in Trenton this Saturday? Us Patriots, stuck behind the Deleware Iron Curtain (God I need to move to PA), have 6 new gun bills moving forward to the General Assembly on Monday. Bye bye 15 round mags.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Back in 1972, I took a solid black cast iron Peace Maker pistol to school for show and tell. It had no moving parts, but they stole if from me and I can't find another to replace it.

Looks like things haven't changed.
    That sounds pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I do counter such posts on my page..

Cousins and such. Kids that call me Grampa. and some old friends.

Post to my page and get my "Spin".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Family gives kids to government to have the state raise them, gets angry that government is doing it wrong.

Complaining about a suspension from school is like complaining about a stay of execution.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    Complaining about a suspension from school is like complaining about a stay of execution.
    Actually its worse than that:
    Buron said the two students received a five-day in-school suspension
    At least if they got suspended FROM school, they could go to the range during those 5 days.

Schools far too often fail to see the lessons they are NOT teaching.

There are ALWAYS going to be people with guns. NEVER going to get rid of ALL guns. Cops and Soldiers will have guns, period. The people? Maybe, maybe not. The real lesson here is to tech these kids to have RESPECT for guns. They might grow up to be a cop or soldier, they might not be, but they will have learned the lesson of RESPECT of the danger of a firearm and hopefully also learn RESPONSIBLE GUN USE. What we see in damn near every TV show and every Movie is IRRESPONSIBLE GUN USE. And schools only teach FEAR of guns, but NEVER responsible gun use period.

As far as the school suspending the kids? Bull$#@!. There is a LIMIT to their authority. Kid gets in a fight at school? Perhaps suspension is needed to correct bullying behavior. I would go so far as to say the school does have some authority over kids fighting because it is on school grounds. The same as you all have authority over guests and visitors in your homes and businesses. This area is off limits, but go ahead and be in this authorized area. Dont smoke in my house, or, you may smoke in my house. You have authority over that, not the government. Now, if you try to say someone else "should not be allowed" to smoke in property that is NOT yours, you have no authority because it is not your property. Same thing with Schools. It didnt happen on school grounds, and the school has ZERO AUTHORITY to issue punishment or punitive measures against the students. They did not threaten the school by learning GUN SAFETY be being taken to a place that puts the utmost emphasis on RESPONSIBLE GUN USAGE.

The school itself has become the threat because it now stands as a direct obstacle to learning. And what the students should be learning is to be responsible. Thus, the school is forbidding responsibility be learned.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Reason #189347789 to Homeschool...