Thread: Tree in the trail near my house doesn't produce fruit anymore

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Tree in the trail near my house doesn't produce fruit anymore

There's this apple tree that stopped making apples in the summer of 2016. McIntosh I think. Me and my friend Parm used throw sticks at the apples to knock em down so we could eat them in middle school. At first I thought that was nothing special since it seemed to be budding just fine in the spring. What's it called when that happens?
    Last edited by Lamp; 03-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I call it , firewood .

Hitting the wall?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Me and my friend Parm used throw sticks at the apples to knock em down so we could eat them in middle school.

What's it called when that happens?

It's called karma, man.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I call it , firewood .
    Yes.

There's this apple tree that stopped making apples in the summer of 2016. McIntosh I think. Me and my friend Parm used throw sticks at the apples to knock em down so we could eat them in middle school. At first I thought that was nothing special since it seemed to be budding just fine in the spring. What's it called when that happens?
    Menopause

It couldn't take the abuse, anymore.
    This is ALL.YOUR.FAULT.

NOW how do you feel?
    NOT TOO GOOD.

kidding.
    I don't know.

Here's some info:

Many apple trees naturally tend to flower and bear fruit heavily one year and very little the next, a trait referred to as biennial or alternate bearing. A heavy crop one year inhibits flower development the following year. Regular flowering and bearing is potentially achieved by hand-thinning small fruit within two to four weeks of bloom, or spraying trees with a hormone thinning spray shortly after petal drop during the heavily flowering years.

Lack of Pollination
    If an apple tree blooms well but fruit fails to develop, insufficient pollination is likely responsible. Most apple varieties are self-unfruitful, with sterile pollen, or partially self-fruitful, with only some viable pollen. So for most apple trees to successfully produce fruit, multiple varieties of apple trees with overlapping periods of bloom must be planted within 100 feet of each other. Bees are primarily responsible for transferring pollen between trees, so disruptions of bee activity -- such as broad-spectrum, persistent pesticide use, rain or wind -- during the bloom period will reduce pollination and limit fruit development.

Improper Care or Site Problems
    Apple trees require ample sunlight to bear fruit and will suffer if grown in the shade. Competition for light, moisture and nutrients from other plants grown near the apple can also impact fruiting. Pest infestations, diseases and poor nutrition or insufficient moisture that have an impact on overall tree vigor also negatively affect bearing. Additionally, choosing an apple cultivar well suited to the amount of chilling hours that a site receives is important for blossoming and fruit development.

Sounds like it needs a pollinator

There's this apple tree that stopped making apples in the summer of 2016... thought that was nothing special since it seemed to be budding just fine in the spring. What's it called when that happens?
    Did there used to be another apple, or crab apple tree nearby? One that got cut down after the spring of 2015? Maybe in a neighboring yard?

In order to set fruit, the apple tree's blossoms need to be pollinated by a second apple tree. It has to be of a different variety. I believe most crab apple trees can pollinate a regular apple tree and a lot of people grow these in their yards because they're ornamental. (Sometimes you find them growing wild, too.) Without a pollinator, an apple tree (pear also) will continue to bloom every spring, but it can't set fruit.
    Last edited by Valli6; 03-21-2018 at 09:36 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Did there used to be another apple, or crab apple tree nearby? One that got cut down after the spring of 2015? Maybe in a neighboring yard?

In order to set fruit, the apple tree's blossoms need to be pollinated by a second apple tree. It has to be of a different variety. I believe most crab apple trees can pollinate a regular apple tree and a lot of people grow these in their yards because they're ornamental. (Sometimes you find them growing wild, too.) Without a pollinator, an apple tree (pear also) will continue to bloom every spring, but it can't set fruit.
    Oh thanks. Thats helpful.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I don't remember there being any other apple trees of any kind around those parts.
    Last edited by Lamp; 03-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.