Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uber self-driving car kills pedestrian in first fatal autonomous crash

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Yep. The Police and Uber are sticking to their story. It was "unavoidable"...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yep. The Police and Uber are sticking to their story. It was "unavoidable"...

I don't know anything about self driving cars or any details of the case but I just watched the dashcam video. It sure looks like it was the pedestrian's fault. Do you disagree? Is there something I'm missing?

The guy is wearing black at night and jaywalking. There have been multiple times where I have almost hit cyclists at night. The only person I would feel bad for in that situation is me, because I would have been punished because some idiot has terrible judgment biking on the side of the road at night.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 03-24-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Nobody is saying the pedestrian is not at fault. but does that mean you shouldn't try to avoid one if they get in your way at night?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Nobody is saying the pedestrian is not at fault. but does that mean you shouldn't try to avoid one if they get in your way at night?

Sure. Of course you avoid hitting someone otherwise it is vehicular manslaughter and you go to jail. My point is people have their lives ruined because cyclists are careless. I was going around a curve at probably 8 or 9 at night and I missed smacking a guy by a foot. I can tell you the only person I started to feel bad about was myself and what would have happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I don't know anything about self driving cars or any details of the case but I just watched the dashcam video. It sure looks like it was the pedestrian's fault. Do you disagree? Is there something I'm missing?

The guy is wearing black at night and jaywalking. There have been multiple times where I have almost hit cyclists at night. The only person I would feel bad for in that situation is me, because I would have been punished because some idiot has terrible judgment biking on the side of the road at night.
    Did you watch the video that I quoted? Same street at night, filmed with a more realistic camera. The Police and/or Uber provided a very dark, low quality video. Why would they do that?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Did you watch the video that I quoted? Same street at night, filmed with a more realistic camera. The Police and/or Uber provided a very dark, low quality video. Why would they do that?
    They couldn't afford an HD camera with color and a better light sensitivity.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I just wrote an article on this topic for steemit, if anybody has an account would be cool to get some upvotes

Did Self-driving Cars Just Hit a Major Setback?

https://steemit.com/liberty/@dannnor...-major-setback
    Upvoted and commented.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

I know an expert in the field (competitor of Uber using a lot of the same technology), and he says there was a failure, the car should have detected the pedestrian. Also a failure on the part of the safety driver. He is not impressed with Uber, and thinks they cut corners and exaggerate. Seems to be quite a race to be the first in production wth autonomous vehicles.

Something else to think about though: if the safety driver had prevented the accident, we would never hear about it. Think of how many times the safety drivers have prevented accidents? Even beyond that, imagine how many times the driver prevented an accident, yet the company just basically says "the driver didn't need to intervene, the car would have avoided that if left alone."

In other words, this fatal accident may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Uber car's 'safety' driver streamed TV show before fatal crash: police

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1JI0LB

JUNE 22, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The safety driver behind the wheel of a self-driving Uber car in Tempe, Arizona, was streaming a television show on her phone until about the time of a fatal crash, according to a police report that deemed the March 18 incident “entirely avoidable.”

A report by the Tempe Police Department said the driver, Rafaela Vasquez, repeatedly looked down and not at the road, glancing up a half second before the car hit Elaine Herzberg, 49, who was crossing the street at night.

The report said police concluded the crash, which has dealt Uber Technologies Inc a major setback in its efforts to develop self-driving cars, would have been “entirely avoidable” if Vasquez had been paying attention.

Vasquez could face charges of vehicular manslaughter, according to the report, which was released late on Thursday in response to a public records request.

She could not immediately be reached for comment and Reuters could not locate her attorney.

Police obtained records from Hulu, an online service for streaming TV shows and movies, which showed Vasquez’s account was playing the TV talent show “The Voice” for about 42 minutes on the night of the crash, ending at 9:59 p.m., which “coincides with the approximate time of the collision,” the report said.

Police submitted their findings to local prosecutors, who will make a determination on whether to file criminal charges. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office referred the case to the Yavapai County Attorney’s Office because of a conflict.

A spokeswoman for the Yavapai County Attorney’s Office said on Friday that “the matter is still pending review. We do not have a projected timeline for a decision.”

The Uber car was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash, but the company, like other self-driving car developers, requires a back-up driver inside to intervene when the autonomous system fails or a tricky driving situation occurs.

Vasquez looked up just 0.5 seconds before the crash, after keeping her head down for 5.3 seconds, the Tempe police report said. Uber’s self-driving Volvo SUV was traveling at just under 44 miles (71 km) per hour.

“We continue to cooperate fully with ongoing investigations while conducting our own internal safety review,” an Uber spokeswoman said. “We have a strict policy prohibiting mobile device usage for anyone operating our self-driving vehicles. We plan to share more on the changes we’ll make to our program soon.”

Last month, the Uber spokeswoman said the company was undergoing a “top-to-bottom safety review,” and had brought on a former U.S. federal transportation official to help improve its safety culture.

‘VERY SERIOUS CASE’
    Police said a review of video from inside the Volvo showed Vasquez was looking down during the trip, and her face “appears to react and show a smirk or laugh at various points during the times that she is looking down.” The report found that Vasquez “was distracted and looking down” for close to seven of the nearly 22 minutes prior to the collision.

Tempe Police Detective Michael McCormick asked Hulu for help in the investigation, writing in a May 10 email to the company that “this is a very serious case where the charges of vehicle manslaughter may be charged, so correctly interpreting the information provided to us is crucial.” Hulu turned over the records on May 31.

According to a report last month by the National Transportation Safety Board, which is also investigating the crash, Vasquez told federal investigators she had been monitoring the self-driving interface in the car and that neither her personal nor business phones were in use until after the crash. That report showed Uber had disabled the emergency braking system in the Volvo, and Vasquez began braking less than a second after hitting Herzberg.

Herzberg, who was homeless, was walking her bicycle across the street, outside of a crosswalk on a four-lane road, when she was struck by the front right side of the Volvo.

The police report faulted Herzberg for “unlawfully crossing the road at a location other than a marked crosswalk.”

In addition to the report, police released a slew of audio files of 911 calls made by Vasquez, who waited at the scene for police, and bystanders; photographs of Herzberg’s damaged bicycle and the Uber car; and videos from police officers’ body cameras that capture the minutes after the crash, including harrowing screams in the background.

Uber shuttered its autonomous car testing program in Arizona after the incident, and says it plans to begin testing elsewhere this summer, although in some cities it will have to first win over increasingly wary regulators.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234