Tesla has been doing this for years, and it’s very disturbing. Of course, the justification is that changes can be made to the car to fix things over the air, without the customer having to bring the car in for servicing. I get all of that. But many people don’t realize that the vehicles are also transmitting imagery from multiple video cameras back to Tesla. The new Model 3 has a driver facing camera inside the car!
*pfft* you say. The number of vehicles Tesla is selling amounts to a noise level phenomenon.
But Ford… That’s huge.
My guess is that virtually nobody will be discouraged by these and many other privacy concerns, never mind the potential health issues. While you and I probably won’t ever buy such a car, just about everyone else will. This means that even those of us who refuse will be swept up in the surveillance networks that these vehicles will create.
Via: Ars Technica:
Ahead of this month’s New York International Auto Show, Ford released some info about its plans to adapt to the changing world of transportation. The Blue Oval says it’s “going all-in on hybrids,” including versions of the F-150 truck and Mustang sports car. The automaker is also readying six new battery electric vehicles (BEVs) by 2022, with the first due in 2020, and adding more performance versions of its SUV line up. Additionally, by the end of 2019, every new Ford will have 4G LTE connectivity, and the company is developing a new cloud platform that will deliver over-the-air updates.

http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=52525