Thread: Merkel's New Interior Minister: "Islam Does Not Belong To Germany"

Merkel's New Interior Minister: "Islam Does Not Belong To Germany"

In a startling confirmation of the rising power of Germany's populist movement, on Friday Germany's new Interior Minister Horst Seehofer declared that "Islam does not belong to Germany" while setting out hardline immigration policies in an interview published on Friday, in an attempt to ward off rising anti-immigration challengers.
    “Islam does not belong to Germany,” Seehofer said, contradicting former German president Christian Wulff who fueled a debate over immigration in 2010 by saying Islam was part of Germany. In 2015 Merkel echoed Wulff’s words at a time when anti-immigration campaign group PEGIDA - or Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West - was holding marches.

Closing the book on Merkel's disastrous "open door" policies, Seehofer told Bild he would push through a "master plan for quicker deportations”, in his first major interview since he was sworn into office on Wednesday.
    The minister - a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s CSU Bavarian allies who are further to the right than her own Christian Democrats - said he would also classify more states as "safe" countries of origin, which would make it easier to deport failed asylum seekers. The statements - an obvious attempt to court populist voters - come after Merkel’s conservatives, and their coalition allies - the Social Democrats - lost ground to the anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany (AfD) party in elections last year.
    As Reuters notes, Seehofer is particularly keen to show his party is tackling immigration ahead of Bavaria’s October regional election, when the AfD is expected to enter that state assembly.
    “Of course the Muslims living here do belong to Germany,” Seehofer said before going on to say Germany should not give up its own traditions or customs, which had Christianity at their heart.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...belong-germany
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Germany is not a person. It can neither own nor not own anything. Next thing you know they'll be talking about being Judenrein again, too.

Islam is incompatible with liberalism. Taking these people in is a good way for illiberal right wing identity politics to become more prevalent in the US and Europe. It is funny seeing "libertarians" turn into welfare statists on Muslim immigration.

Taking refugees has been a disaster for France, Germany and Sweden. It isn't a matter of opinion. It is an empirical question. You can't have 50% of the people loitering around living off of the government for DECADES. Here are the unemployment rates.

BERLIN (Reuters) - When refugees started arriving in Germany in large numbers last summer, many politicians and economists feted them as a solution to a skilled labor shortage, but a survey published on Tuesday shows that only around 1 in 8 have found jobs so far.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN13A22F

Only 53 percent of refugees found a job after 10 years
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ob-in-a-decade

60 Minutes Australia showed what a disaster it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Islam is incompatible with liberalism. Taking these people in is a good way for illiberal right wing identity politics to become more prevalent in the US and Europe. It is funny seeing "libertarians" turn into welfare statists on Muslim immigration.

Taking refugees has been a disaster for France, Germany and Sweden. It isn't a matter of opinion. It is an empirical question. You can't have 50% of the people loitering around living off of the government for DECADES. Here are the unemployment rates.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN13A22F

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ob-in-a-decade

60 Minutes Australia showed what a disaster it is.
    I keep telling them that open borders will cause a nativist backlash, possibly NAZI in nature but NOOOO they know better.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I keep telling them that open borders will cause a nativist backlash, possibly NAZI in nature but NOOOO they know better.
    I don't agree with you on immigration in general.

But on the subset of Muslim refugee immigration, it has been such a disaster that I don't see why people don't look at the data and change their opinions. This kind of immigration leads to less liberalism. No major libertarian thinker is so ideologically rigid on immigration as being open borders. This isn't a theoretical question. Mises even understood this and wrote about it.

I don't agree with you on immigration in general.

But on the subset of Muslim refugee immigration, it has been such a disaster that I don't see why people don't look at the data and change their opinions. This kind of immigration leads to less liberalism. No major libertarian thinker is so ideologically rigid on immigration as being open borders. This isn't a theoretical question. Mises even understood this and wrote about it.
    Where do you disagree then?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Where do you disagree then?
    He wants cheap illegal Mexican labor, but it will result in a potentially dangerous nativist backlash as well.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He wants cheap illegal Mexican labor, but it will result in a potentially dangerous nativist backlash as well.
    ....and less liberalism

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    ....and less liberalism

Hispanics don't vote Republican for the same reason blacks don't. They are by and large Communists. It is not partially the reason. It is THE reason. 81% percent of Hispanic immigrants want larger government vs 41% of the general population. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...or-government/

The simple solution is allow immigration and make it almost impossible to be able to vote. People should have to purchase citizenship. That cleans up the problem people voting themselves free stuff.
    That stat is obviously problematic. I just don't think you can morally keep people out of the country because they won't vote the way you want. If you are going to restrict something, you need a strong overriding reason which exists in the case of Muslim refugees. Latino immigrants tend to have low unemployment and they don't commit crime at a much higher rate than would be expected.

That stat is obviously problematic. I just don't think you can morally keep people out of the country because they won't vote the way you want. If you are going to restrict something, you need a strong overriding reason which exists in the case of Muslim refugees. Latino immigrants tend to have low unemployment and they don't commit crime at a much higher rate than would be expected.
    We have a self defense right to keep them out, if we let them vote they will erect a tyranny, if we don't let them vote they will start a communist revolution.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We have a self defense right to keep them out, if we let them vote they will erect a tyranny, if we don't let them vote they will start a communist revolution.
    Where do you draw the line? Blacks and women vote for big government? If you take that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion then no one should be able to vote but you and people who think similarly. Muslim refugees are good place to draw the line because you have 50% unemployment and they commit crime at a much higher rate. Hispanic immigrant unemployment is 3.&% right now.

Where do you draw the line? Blacks and women vote for big government? If you take that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion then no one should be able to vote but you and people who think similarly. Muslim refugees are good place to draw the line because you have 50% unemployment and they commit crime at a much higher rate. Hispanic immigrant unemployment is 3.&% right now.
    It is easy to draw the line, you limit immigration since foreigners don't have an inherent right to come here.
    Inside the country I wouldn't support any group restrictions based on non-causal factors, you might as some have suggested bar anyone who receives a penny of government money from voting for instance however.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Angela Merkel has again insisted Islam is part of German culture, speaking out to contradict Interior Minister Horst Seehofer after he stressed the nation’s Christian heritage.

“Islam does not belong to Germany. Germany has been shaped by Christianity,” the Christian Social Union (CSU) Bavarian leader told Bild on Friday, pointing to the church’s influence on everyday life and culture.
    “These aspects include shops being closed on Sundays, church holidays and rituals such as Easter, Pentecost and Christmas.”
    “The Muslims who live with us obviously belong to Germany,” qualified Seehofer, adding that “this does not mean we give up our country-specific traditions and customs out of false consideration for others”.

After the minister’s pronouncement, Merkel moved quickly to assert that Islam “belongs to Germany”, a claim the Chancellor has made on several occasions since she opened Europe’s doors to seemingly limitless mass migration in 2015.

More at: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018...erkel-insists/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment