Thread: First Undocumented Immigrant Appointed to State Post in California

First Undocumented Immigrant Appointed to State Post in California

For the first time in California's history, the state has appointed an undocumented resident to a statewide post, announcing the decision just a day after President Donald Trump attacked its immigration approach during a visit to San Diego.
    The decision made by the Senate Rules Committee on Wednesday saw Lizbeth Mateo, a 33-year-old attorney and immigrant rights activist, appointed to serve on a committee that helps increase college access for students from low-income or underserved communities.
    In announcing the decision, Senate President pro tempore Kevin de León appeared to recognize the move as an act of defiance in the face of the Trump administration's current immigration crackdown.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-und...122408144.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Deport her.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Deport her.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lizbeth-Mateo-Facebook-640x480.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5960
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Nice to be ruled over by foreigners, in a position to dole out your tax money.

Senate President pro tempore Kevin de León appeared to recognize the move as an act of defiance
    Man, I cannot wait until the next Cliven Bundy, Ed Brown or David Koresh situation crops up.

So this person wound up here at 14 according to that article. It also sounds like she wants to advocate for a path to citizenship for people in a similar situation or at least to become documented.

It's kind of a grey area to me, but it would be nice to see a follow up story showing her trying to become a legit Documented Worker as an example to others while filling this role with her legal training. I think that would be a more positive outcome than booting her out.

It makes me think of other cases where Mexicans wanted a path to citizenship by serving America's military in good faith hoping to be awarded citizenship, but then even they got deported back to Mexico.

It was only a matter of time before they did so at the state level. Give it a few years they will make the attempt at the federal level.

In a first for California, immigrants here illegally get seats in city government
    Aug 03, 2015
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...802-story.html
    In a move likely to heighten debate about illegal immigration, a Huntington Park city councilman said Monday he will appoint two immigrants in the U.S. illegally to become commissioners on city advisory boards.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lizbeth-Mateo-Facebook-640x480.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5960

Interesting.

She can love and hold fond memories of her home, of what it is and what it means to her.

If a bunch of gringos from Ohio moved there and turned it into Cleveland, would she be happy or upset?

And why is it, when I say the same thing and want to preserve and hold onto my home that I love, I'm a racist and a xenophobe?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-15-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Interesting.

She can love and hold fond memories of her home, of what it is and what it means to her.

If a bunch of gringos from Ohio moved there and turned it into Cleveland, would she be happy or upset?

And why is it, when I say the same thing and want to preserve and hold onto my home that I love, I'm a racist and a xenophobe?
    I just call them out for bitching about some of the most liberal immigration laws in the world, when Mexico has some of the strictest.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."