Thread: Toys R Us To Close All 800 of Its US Stores

Toys R Us To Close All 800 of Its US Stores

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/03...-its-us-stores

Toy store chain Toys R Us is reportedly planning to sell or close all 800 of its U.S. stores (Warning: source may be paywalled; alternative source), affecting as many as 33,000 jobs as the company winds down its operations after six decades. The Washington Post reports:

The news comes six months after the retailer filed for bankruptcy. The company has struggled to pay down nearly $8 billion in debt -- much of it dating back to a 2005 leveraged buyout -- and has had trouble finding a buyer. There were reports earlier this week that Toys R Us had stopped paying its suppliers, which include the country's largest toy makers. On Wednesday, the company announced it would close all 100 of its U.K. stores. In the United States, the company told employees closures would likely occur over time, and not all at once, according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal deliberations.
    Everything is awesome!

Its okay tho since you can just go to Amazon and get all the same $#@!! Screw Toys Were Us, they had a bad business model! Its their own fault and the economy is STRONG! Jesus, I keep talking like that, I will probably deserve some negative rep!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Its okay tho since you can just go to Amazon and get all the same $#@!! Screw Toys Were Us, they had a bad business model! Its their own fault and the economy is STRONG! Jesus, I keep talking like that, I will probably deserve some negative rep!
    Just wondering, when was the last time you went into ToysRUs? Was it a positive shopping experience?

I'm surprised, they always seem too busy and you end up waiting around forever whenever I have gone into them.

Everything is awesome!

Ok, now hold your horses... This situation is a perfect example of how markets operate.

I remember the time when Toys R Us was considered the category killer and there were calls to "do something about them" because they were pushing out Mom & Pop toys stores and even toy sales in department stores. They were considered the Big Corporate bad guy! Things change. Amazon will have its time and it will pass as well.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    They were considered the Big Corporate bad guy! Things change. Amazon will have its time and it will pass as well.
    Notice the bully gets replaced by an even bigger bully. There is no going back to mom and pop stores.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Notice the bully gets replaced by an even bigger bully. There is no going back to mom and pop stores.
    No? There's an outstanding mom and pop toy store here in town, and they aren't closing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Everything is awesome!

Either you're being sarcastic, and it makes no sense, or you're being serious, and it makes no sense.

Whichever it is, I don't get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Either you're being sarcastic, and it makes no sense, or you're being serious, and it makes no sense.

He was just saving Zippy the trouble of coming to the thread and telling us how awesome everything is, because his bosses at the Fed are managing our currency so perfectly.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Bully? I would say they get replaced by another entity that understands how to respond to the wants of the consumer. And since wants are infinite and ever changing, so will be the businesses that respond to them.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    He was just saving Zippy the trouble of coming to the thread and telling us how awesome everything is, because his bosses at the Fed are managing our currency so perfectly.
    How Many Times Does The Average Person Move? - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ge-Person-Move

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Just wondering, when was the last time you went into ToysRUs? Was it a positive shopping experience?

I'm surprised, they always seem too busy and you end up waiting around forever whenever I have gone into them.
    Last time I went was years ago with a girlfriend for her kids. I dont have any kids of my own. My toy stores tend to be specialty auto parts shops and grown up toys. Toys R Us doesnt really have anything to draw in adults, like high end remote control cars or other grown up toys. I cant say how the service was because its been over a decade since Ive been to one, and yes, that does contribute to their bankruptcy, but so do other factors like Amazon, Walmart, overpriced goods, customer service, etc.

One point that should be made is that parents spend extra money on toys for children. When money gets tight, cheaper toys are sought. And for most people, that extra money simply isnt there.

---

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It was sarcasm. @acptulsa explained it perfectly, just beating Zippy to the punch of telling us that the economy is just fine, when it is not for most people.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

It was sarcasm. @acptulsa explained it perfectly, just beating Zippy to the punch of telling us that the economy is just fine, when it is not for most people.
    When improvements in providing goods and services make old means of doing so obsolete, and purge the market of those inefficiencies, that's not a sign of an unhealthy economy.

Do you think Toys R Us should get a bailout?

When improvements in providing goods and services make old means of doing so obsolete, and purge the market of those inefficiencies, that's not a sign of an unhealthy economy.

Do you think Toys R Us should get a bailout?
    Nope, no bailout. Unless that just means a bunch of people willingly run in and buy stuff just to give them an increase in legit business.

Mom and pop shops are the foundation of this country, not mega corporations. They are inefficient because they tend to treat employees like human beings as opposed to a disposable workforce.

So by the same token, should all Mom and Pop businesses go away because their business model does not maximize profit margins at the expense of both customers and employees?
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Ok, now hold your horses... This situation is a perfect example of how markets operate.

I remember the time when Toys R Us was considered the category killer and there were calls to "do something about them" because they were pushing out Mom & Pop toys stores and even toy sales in department stores. They were considered the Big Corporate bad guy! Things change. Amazon will have its time and it will pass as well.
    I remember this also. They were the Walmart of the toy industry.

Business happens. There is nothing wrong with an unprofitable business going out of business. Whoever said 'that too is a sign of a healthy economy' is correct. Those resources should be diverted to something more profitable. That's capitalism.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Mom and pop shops are the foundation of this country, not mega corporations. They are inefficient because they tend to treat employees like human beings as opposed to a disposable workforce.
    We're talking about economic health. Either those mom and pop shops are its foundation, or they are inefficient. It can't be both.

And Toys R Us is not a mom and pop shop anyway.

By all means, prop up either Toys R Us or the mom and pop shops or both with your own money if you want.

But it isn't the case that their closing has to indicate anything negative about the whole economy.

We're talking about economic health. Either those mom and pop shops are its foundation, or they are inefficient. It can't be both.

By all means, prop up either Toys R Us or the mom and pop shops or both with your own money if you want.

But it isn't the case that their closing has to indicate anything negative about the whole economy.
    Where do you think elimination of all these "inefficiencies" will take us?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Do you really think the economy is actually strong and stable?
    1776 > 1984

1. Why can't something which isn't 100% efficient be the foundation of economic health? Seems to me what economic health we can lay claim to today is built on arms sales, and if that industry is over 19% efficient I'll eat my hat.

2. Why do mom and pop shops need to be efficient even to survive? Yeah, corporations enjoy economies of scale, but they react slowly, and their ranks are full of layer upon layer of ass kissers and managers who hire ass kissers, none of whom are productive. Unless and until government regulation gives them a huge advantage built into the legal code, corporations aren't that hard for small business to compete with.

3. Who in this thread called We B Toys a mom and pop?

4. Do not strong economies prop up even companies which probably ought to go under? Do not weak economies see the bankruptcy of some businesses which should, by any objective standard, survive?

Do you really think the economy is actually strong and stable?
    I don't think it can continue without a major correction.

But I don't see what Toys R Us closing proves one way or the other.

I don't think it can continue without a major correction.

But I don't see what Toys R Us closing proves one way or the other.
    Agree, it can not continue without a major correction.

What it proves? In and of itself, not much. Its the overall trend of many stores from many different companies that needs to be observed.

Im sure a lot of the stuff sold in Toys R Us is not made in the US. If the Tariff Trends continue, this could be bad for those overseas manufacturers, which could be good for us. Not sure on that either. Thing is, thats 33,000 jobs (according to the article) which is a good chunk of "new jobs created every month" that now have to be "created" to handle the people that lost their jobs. Not that they were great jobs to begin with, but they were jobs. That, in and of itself is something that the country can handle. But like I said, its the overall trend to watch, not just one chain. Lose 10 chain stores like Toys R Us, roughly equal in size, and thats 330,000 jobs that go bye bye. That is more jobs than the US "creates" every month. A major economic downturn wont hit only one chain, or a limited number of chains. It will hit EVERY business in the US. Again, watch the Trend. A severe major economic downturn or correction will hit hundreds and even thousands of businesses, and tens of thousands of individual stores.

If we dont want to look at Toys R Us as the small sample, but bigger picture, try watching this related thread:

The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ded-on-America

We are due for another economic correction. And even if it doesnt start right away, it will eventually happen. How bad will the next one be?
    1776 > 1984

@lilymc

From Geoffrey:

The decrease of birthrates in countries where we operate could negatively affect our business. Most of our end-customers are newborns and children and, as a result, our revenue are dependent on the birthrates in countries where we operate. In recent years, many countries’ birthrates have dropped or stagnated as their population ages, and education and income levels increase. A continued and significant decline in the number of newborns and children in these countries could have a material adverse effect on our operating results.

More empty retail space that will not be used for someone to pay property tax on .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    More empty retail space that will not be used for someone to pay property tax on .

https://www.reit.com/data-research/r...nd-real-estate

We were at the Dayton Ohio store yesterday and nothing was on sale I guess they didn't get the memo
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.