Thread: Senate eyes vote next week on US military involvement in Yemen

Senate eyes vote next week on US military involvement in Yemen

The Senate is gearing up for a vote next week on whether or not to end U.S. military involvement in Yemen.
    Coming out of a closed-door briefing early Wednesday evening, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said his resolution with Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) will be brought up before Congress leaves for a two-week recess.
    "I think what our job now in Congress is to ... accept responsibility for issues of war," he said. "I hope Congress and the Senate next week votes to get the United States out of aiding Saudi Arabia in this very terrible war."
    Murphy separately told reporters that he believes the resolution will likely be brought up for a vote next week.
    A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said it wasn't scheduled yet but could come up.

Murphy, Sanders and Lee introduced their resolution late last month, arguing the U.S. military's involvement is unconstitutional because Congress has not had a say in entering the conflict.
    Under a provision of the International Security and Arms Export Control Act of 1976, they can get a vote on the Senate floor within 10 days of its introduction. It is subject to up to 10 hours of debate.
    The resolution calls for any U.S. forces not involved in fighting al-Qaeda or related groups to be out of the country within 30 days.

More at: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/37...ement-in-yemen
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As long as the deal is not exchnage for any massive realestate loans for the family business of any respected foreign policy advisors/anti-nepotism champions, senators etc, do tax payers to worry much about this investment in freedom?

Kushner took unannounced trip to Saudi Arabia
    https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...-arabia-244291
    Oct 29, 2017 - President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner returned home Saturday from an unannounced visit to Saudi Arabia — his third trip to the country this year. ... The White House official would not say who Kushner met with in Saudi Arabia

Jared Kushner Backed Qatar Blockade a Month After Qataris Wouldn’t Finance His Property: Report

By Jessica Kwong 3/2/18
    Updated | Jared Kushner's family-run real estate company tried to seek Qatari government financing for its troubled New York City property a month before Kushner backed a blockade on the Gulf kingdom, The Intercept reported on Friday.

Related: Jared Kushner can broker peace between Israel and Palestinians because of real estate experience, Netanyahu says
    Kushner Cos. directly solicited investment from Qatari Finance Minister Ali Sherif al-Emadi for its 666 Fifth Avenue luxury tower in April 2017, two sources in the finance industry told The Intercept. No deal came of it.

http://www.newsweek.com/jared-kushne...roperty-828847

Although, there should be assurances obtained from radical sharia law Islamic extremist regime that all future political prisoners beheadings, torture would have to be approved by POTUS in advance. And 9/11 investigations should be completed and results made public.

The U.S. Senate on Tuesday killed a resolution seeking an end to U.S. support for Saudi Arabia's campaign in Yemen's civil war, the same day President Donald Trump was due to meet with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at the White House.The Senate voted 55-44 to dismiss the resolution, which sought for the first time to take advantage of a provision in the 1973 War Powers Act that allows any senator to introduce a resolution on whether to withdraw U.S. armed forces from a conflict not authorized by Congress.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/senators-...162540052.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Here are the 55 Senators who voted to kill the resolution without debate

Shoutout to all the Ted Cruz fans

... which sought for the first time to take advantage of a provision in the 1973 War Powers Act that allows any senator to introduce a resolution on whether to withdraw U.S. armed forces from a conflict not authorized by Congress.
    Better there should be a law that requires the Senate to address any war not authorized by Congress or face charges of dereliction of duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Here are the 55 Senators who voted to kill the resolution without debate

Shoutout to all the Ted Cruz fans

THIS IS CRIMINAL . WHAT EXCUSE COULD THEY POSSIBLY GIVE FOR THIS?

For what it's worth, here's the above list of names with those Senators that are up for re-election this November encircled in red and blue:

The people who live in states with these senators really need to primary or vote out these candidates in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The U.S. Senate on Tuesday killed a resolution seeking an end to U.S. support for Saudi Arabia's campaign in Yemen's civil war, the same day President Donald Trump was due to meet with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at the White House.The Senate voted 55-44 to dismiss the resolution, which sought for the first time to take advantage of a provision in the 1973 War Powers Act that allows any senator to introduce a resolution on whether to withdraw U.S. armed forces from a conflict not authorized by Congress.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/senators-...162540052.html
    Knock me over with a feather.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post

For what it's worth, here's the above list of names with those Senators that are up for re-election this November encircled in red and blue:

The people who live in states with these senators really need to primary or vote out these candidates in November.
    Hatch is retiring too but Romney is running to replace him

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    US Support for Brutal Saudi Campaign in Yemen Serves Desire to Oppose Iran
    https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/2...n-oppose-iran/

That's it. That's all. the end.

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Hatch is retiring too but Romney is running to replace him
    Unfortunately my gut says Utah will elect Romney. Hope I'm wrong. But I don't think so.
    Last edited by charrob; 03-24-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    US Support for Brutal Saudi Campaign in Yemen Serves Desire to Oppose Iran
    https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/2...n-oppose-iran/

That's it. That's all. the end.

I think you're right. And yet no one in the mainstream media ever questions how Iran is any threat to the U.S. In fact intelligence agencies have agreed not only are they not building nuclear weapons, there is no evidence that they even want to build nuclear weapons. It's all so insane.