Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump Authorizes Tariffs

Thumbs down Trump Authorizes Tariffs

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2018/03/09/us/politics/09dc-trade1/merlin_135204480_9a539dc2-02dd-4808-99d7-4d20d212dd63-master768.jpg[/IMG]

WASHINGTON — President Trump defied opposition from his own party and protests from overseas on Thursday as he signed orders imposing stiff and sweeping new tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. But he sought to soften the impact on America’s closest allies with a more flexible plan than originally envisioned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/u...ouncement.html
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These tariffs really show Trump's great ability to negotiate trade deals in US favor
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Now we just need a tariff on Mexico and make them pay for a wall
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    These tariffs really show Trump's great ability to negotiate trade deals in US favor
    We haven't even gotten to the negotiating trade deals part. This is the "shape of the table" phase of business negotiation, the part that happens before sitting down to talk serious.

Make NAFTA Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1GK2NI

Exclusive: Mexico says U.S. tariffs will not pressure NAFTA talks

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - Mexico’s Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said on Thursday he would not allow the United States to use planned tariffs on steel and aluminum imports to pressure the country in ongoing NAFTA talks.

U.S. President Donald Trump plans to offer Canada and Mexico a 30-day exemption from the planned tariffs, which could be extended based on progress in NAFTA talks, a White House official said on Wednesday night. [nL5N1QP3ZG]

“This has nothing to do with the [NAFTA] negotiations,” Guajardo told Reuters on the sidelines of the signing ceremony for an Asia-Pacific trade agreement in Santiago. “Under no circumstance will we be subject to any type of pressure.”

Guajardo said Mexico was willing to spend “as much time as necessary” to resolve NAFTA negotiations successfully.

“Mexico will not be leaving the treaty,” Guajardo said. “NAFTA exists between three countries. The others are deciding whether they stay or leave, not Mexico.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/05/us-t...ade-deals.html

US trade envoy says time is running 'very short' for NAFTA talks

7:34 PM ET Mon, 5 March 2018 | 02:51

The United States could negotiate bilateral trade deals to replace the three way North American Free Trade Agreement if needed, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said on Monday, adding that time was running "very short."

Lighthizer said all parties needed to move more quickly to conclude the NAFTA renegotiation. He was speaking at the close of a seventh round of talks in Mexico City and said just six chapters of the agreement had been concluded so far

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...-canada-mexico

The NAFTA talks are going slowly and the Mexico City round -- the seventh of eight planned sets of negotiations -- produced little of substance.

Eight days of talks in Mexico's capital failed to make headway on new rules governing the content of products made in North America, which has been one of the most contentious issues in the talks.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-08-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Make NAFTA Great Again

Or kill NAFTA while pretending you tried to save it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Or kill NAFTA while pretending you tried to save it.
    By strengthening Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminum producers at the expensive of other countries? Including America?
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here, let me shoot myself in front of you to show you how bad it hurts. Now if you don't do what I say then I will shoot you too. That will bring them to the negotiating table.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    By strengthening Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminum producers at the expensive of other countries? Including America?
    Producing this statement clearly took a significant effort.

NAFTA is dying, Canada and Mexico won't agree to play fair so it will die, you can't expect everything to happen all at once.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    We haven't even gotten to the negotiating trade deals part. This is the "shape of the table" phase of business negotiation, the part that happens before sitting down to talk serious.
    I think we'll have even better leverage if we do even more tariffs!
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I think we'll have even better leverage if we do even more tariffs!
    Tariffs for everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Tariffs for everybody!
    Troll quotas and tariffs!

President Trump could sell exemptions, to support our troops in Tongo Tongo.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

NAFTA is dying, Canada and Mexico won't agree to play fair so it will die, you can't expect everything to happen all at once.
    NAFTA may be dying but is the NAU emerging in its place?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have already discovered in these trade threads zero allegiance to people here in the US to the point of factory closing, lost jobs and growing the wealth of the Chinese Communist party is not a problem for the free traders here. Another aspect that has not been touched on is why is it so important to people here outside the billionaire elites to replace products from American producers from countries that have a record of exporting contaminated products?

We have the illusion of free markets and competition. Just go to any supermarket chain and lookup who really owns all these brands. It is down to a handful of monopolies and what did they do when they gobbled the competition, shut them down and are importing from factories in China and other countries.

China is a country notorious for exporting contaminated products so I would be quite happy if we end up in a total trade war with China even if cuts off all Chinese trade of their garbage. I would celebrate it. We go back to American producers, new companies open here, creates jobs and these no good piece of $#@! globalists take a hit.

Too many recalls due to contamination. Sick and tired of trying to buy food that is not from China and having to go to multiple Supermarkets to finish my shopping. Same thing with linens, pillows and clothes. The chemical smells are so bad and you can't get the chemical odors out. Check labels, yep China as usual. Why stop at China, noticed the juice boxes for kids now come from the Ukraine not too far from Chernobyl.

As a consumer I am not seeing the benefits of this globalism being promoted here.
    Last edited by kahless; 03-08-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    If it goes like in the past, we may have to see what the next administration does with its awesome trump-like power. My guess is Oprah and Pocohantas.

Regardless, it's foolish to applaud EO's of any kind, even and especially if your guy manages to figure out how to be benevolent leader for life.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Kind of funny how the left is attacking Trump over the tariffs. It makes sense for the establishment media, but they are getting a lot of the sheep to bleat about it too.

Maybe Trump can do something to help the Unions and then we can watch the left attack Unions. Left media: "Unions raise prices and create unemployment! Trump is insane for supporting Unions!"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I can't guarantee one way or the other, we will have to make sure we don't end up with the NAU but I don't believe it will happen.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I have already discovered in these trade threads zero allegiance to people here in the US to the point of factory closing, lost jobs and growing the wealth of the Chinese Communist party is not a problem for the free traders here.
    And yet these same people who demonstrate beyond any reasonable doubt that they have no loyalty whatsoever to their country or countrymen, expect us to take their advice, and expect us to believe they are advising us in our own best interest.

That faction has officially jumped the shark and become a complete and total farce.

And yet these same people who demonstrate beyond any reasonable doubt that they have no loyalty whatsoever to their country or countrymen, expect us to take their advice, and expect us to believe they are advising us in our own best interest.

That faction has officially jumped the shark and become a complete and total farce.
    Some of them openly claim that China is a better place than America, they are fellow travelers who secretly want to destroy America.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If it goes like in the past, we may have to see what the next administration does with its awesome trump-like power. My guess is Oprah and Pocohantas.

Regardless, it's foolish to applaud EO's of any kind, even and especially if your guy manages to figure out how to be benevolent leader for life.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to undergroundrr again."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

The same can be said for Club for Growth and Charles Koch that for all intents and purposes are campaigning on behalf and to the benefit of the China's Communist Party over our countrymen.

I thought that might explain some of this here considering who they fund but as @Swordsmyth describes it goes blatantly beyond that with some here or just more honest about it.
    Last edited by kahless; 03-09-2018 at 02:24 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump signed a proclamation, not an executive order. According to Wiki, a proclamation carries no legal weight. Only Congress can put legal weight behind a proclamation. So, the question then becomes whether Trump's proclamation of tariffs means anything at all??? Or is it only a head fake/cover story...
    Last edited by devil21; 03-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Trump signed a proclamation, not an executive order. According to Wiki, a proclamation carries no legal weight. Only Congress can put legal weight behind a proclamation. So, the question then becomes whether Trump's proclamation of tariffs means anything at all??? Or is it only a head fake/cover story...
    maybe he's testing the waters. If other countries freak out and lower their tariffs, then there'd be no reason to raise ours, and the plan worked. And if they double-down and raise their tariffs, then they would have raised them anyway if a trade war erupted, so as my grandfather used to say, f'k 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I believe there is already a law giving the President the authority to impose tariffs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Instead of taking media reports and net posts at face value, reading into the proclamation itself has some interesting points. The proclamation doesn't take effect until March 23, which (not so) coincidentally is the same day that China rolls out the petroyuan AND the same day the current CR suspending the debt ceiling expires. They're clearly timing all of these things together. End of PetroDollar on 3-22 (haha get it? 322? Skull and Bones? Ah those funny Bonesman...)

I think my other posts about this tariff stuff (and other examples) are correct. THESE TYPES OF STORIES ARE MERELY COVER STORIES FOR THE TANKING OF THE DOLLAR/REVALUATION THAT WILL OCCUR ON 3-22 WHEN CHINA LAUNCHES THE PETROYUAN.

eta: smack in the middle of March Madness when media cycles are clogged and many people are distracted, too.

actual proclamation text: https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...united-states/

--------
    I believe there is already a law giving the President the authority to impose tariffs.
    Yes that is true but the question is what is the prescribed method for enacting tariffs according to that legislation? Is a simple proclamation enough? Since a proclamation carries no legal weight itself, why use that instead of an executive order that actually carries legal force to direct executive departments (such as Treasury) to enact policy changes?
    Last edited by devil21; 03-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Charles Koch that for all intents and purposes are campaigning on behalf and to the benefit of the China's Communist Party over our countrymen.
    Wow, this nationalism just keeps getting more and more blatant.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I have already discovered in these trade threads zero allegiance to people here in the US to the point of factory closing, lost jobs and growing the wealth of the Chinese Communist party is not a problem for the free traders here.

As a consumer I am not seeing the benefits of this globalism being promoted here.
    I would bet global trade acts as a 4k a year tax cut for me. Wal-Mart alone saves the average shopper $2500 a year. https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#78aeb96b33f6

I don't understand why I have to pay higher taxes to subsidize uneducated people who haven't updated their skills for 21st Century. It's disgusting. I don't feel bad at all for factory workers. I feel bad for me that you want me to subsidize their poor life decisions. I will never vote for a politician who supports broad tariffs like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast