Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump praises Florida gun control bill

Thumbs down Trump praises Florida gun control bill

President Trump said on March 8 that he's "almost finished with the legal papers" to ban bump stocks, and praised Florida's state legislature for passing gun control measures.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.36f27ac79945
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

It figures.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

@dannno what say you now?

Selling guns and NRA memberships doesn't make up for this.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    @dannno what say you now?

Selling guns and NRA memberships doesn't make up for this.
    Trump didn't pass the bill in Florida...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, he is just encouraging other states to follow suit.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Florida passes gun control bill but fails to ban assault-style weapons used in Parkland school shooting

Bill also allows some school employees to carry weapons on campus

Emily Shugerman New York @eshugerman 33 mins ago

Florida state legislators have passed the first gun control bill since the Parkland school shooting that killed 17 people last month, but failed to ban the assault-style rifles police say were used in the massacre.

The bill, called the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, raises the minimum age for buying assault rifles from 18 to 21, institutes a three-day waiting period for all firearm purchases, and bans so-called "bump stocks" that allow shooters to fire faster.

But the bill fails to address a major demand from Marjory Stoneman Douglas student activists, who have mobilised in favour of gun control since the shooting: a ban on military-style assault rifles like the one police say was used by shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz.

Parkland shooting survivors and other gun control advocates say the semi-automatic weapons are too dangerous to be available to the public. The National Rifle Association (NRA), however, has strongly opposed such a ban, and critics say the language is too broad.

One senator, Democrat Oscar Braynon, suggested an amendment narrowing the ban exclusively to AR-15 rifles – the exact weapon used in the Parkland shooting, as well as mass shootings in Las Vegas and Newtown, Connecticut. His amendment failed to pass.

The bill also contains a controversial provision allowing some public school employees to carry weapons on campus – a policy championed by President Donald Trump in the wake of the Parkland shooting. The bill creates a $67m “marshall” programme to train and arm certain school employees to serve as “guardians”.

Counsellors, coaches and librarians could be armed under the programme, but – contrary to Mr Trump’s proposal – full-time teachers would not be eligible. The programme is voluntary, and all applicants must pass a mental health screening and obtain a concealed carry permit.

Detractors have said arming employees is dangerous – especially for students of colour, who are disproportionately likely to be disciplined by staff members.

Despite their misgivings, however, several Democrats said they decide to vote in favour of the bill because of a letter issued by the families of all 17 shooting victims this week.

“You must act to prevent mass murder from ever occurring again at any school,” the letter said. “This issue cannot wait. The moment to pass this bill is now.”
    The bill passed the House with 67 votes in support and 50 opposed, just hours after Mr Cruz was indicted on 17 counts of premeditated first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted first-degree murder. The bill now goes to Governor Rick Scott to be signed into law.

After the bill passed on Wednesday, legislators stood to applaud Andrew Pollack, whose daughter Meadow died in the shooting, and who sat through the entire House debate and vote.

"More needs to be done, and it's important for the country to be united in the same way the 17 families united in support of this bill,” Mr Pollack said after the bill passed.

"My precious daughter Meadow's life was taken, and there's nothing I can do to change that," he added. "But make no mistake, I'm a father and I'm on a mission.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8246211.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Assault "style" rifles.
    Is that style for spring or fall fashion?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Is that style for spring or fall fashion?

I'd call itvan anytime kind of thing. They're accessories that go with anything and that are appropriate for all occasions.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Again, I don't know why anybody is upset or surprised at this.

Trump is on the record, many many times over the years, as being in favor of gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Trump is on the record, many many times over the years, as being in favor of gun control.

I'm not the least little bit surprised. Just want to keep reminding folks what they've got with Trump, in the hopes that they'll try to put as much pressure on as possible to prevent this bull$#@!. Now, thanks in part to his big mouth, we're probably staring down the barrel of another decade's worth of fighting for our lives over this same issue that I spent a larger part of the last few years of the 80s andvthe entire decade of the 90s fighting over. Go Trump. He's a $#@!ing genius.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I'm not the least little bit surprised. Just want to keep reminding folks what they've got with Trump, in the hopes that they'll try to put as much pressure on as possible to prevent this bull$#@!. Now, thanks in part to his big mouth, we're probably staring down the barrel of another decade's worth of fighting for our lives over this same issue that I spent a larger part of the last few years of the 80s andvthe entire decade of the 90s fighting over. Go Trump. He's a $#@!ing genius.
    No doubt.

By shooting off his mouth and saying, well hell, what has been saying for decades, he has set the gun rights effort back decades.

And that's a discouraging sign, since those are the only rights anybody seems willing to even try to stand up for.

At CPAC Trump said this:

“If they [Democrats] get in, they will repeal your tax cuts,” Trump said during an appearance at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference outside Washington. “They will put judges in that you wouldn't believe. They will take away your Second Amendment, which we will never allow to happen.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...ake-power.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

He gave the Republicans in Florida political cover, so yes, he actually did have a lot to do with it. If he had come out hard against it then it wouldnt' have passed.

Grow a brain.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

LIARS
    GONNA
    LIE
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Although in the past he used to have liberal stances on various issues that matter most to conservatives, to be fair and in interest of political opportunism, he had flip flopped on many of those issues before winning GOP nomination. He seems to go with the winning strategy and with winners.

Trump on abortion: "I'm very pro choice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NglssDgZ-yE

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    He gave the Republicans in Florida political cover, so yes, he actually did have a lot to do with it. If he had come out hard against it then it wouldnt' have passed.
    That's just like, your opinion, man..
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Obama's third term

It's like Obama never left the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

The NYC real estate mogul that hung out with Bloomberg and the Clintons is supporting gun control??? NFW!
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    At CPAC Trump said this:

“If they [Democrats] get in, they will repeal your tax cuts,” Trump said during an appearance at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference outside Washington. “They will put judges in that you wouldn't believe. They will take away your Second Amendment, which we will never allow to happen.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...ake-power.html
    Maybe he doesn't understand just what the Second Amendment means or says?

Maybe he has a "disconnect" of titanic and medically definable proportions?

Maybe he's bullshitted so long and so loud he actually believes his own bull$#@!?

You can't get up in front of a bunch of people and say "you'll never allow the Second Amendment to be taken away" and then turn around and heap praise on the people taking the Second Amendment away, and proposing your own ideas to take the Second Amendment away, without one or all of the above being true.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    The NYC real estate mogul that hung out with Bloomberg and the Clintons is supporting gun control??? NFW!

I know, right?

Chris

Maybe he's bullshitted so long and so loud he actually believes his own bull$#@!?

You can't get up in front of a bunch of people and say "you'll never allow the Second Amendment to be taken away" and then turn around and heap praise on the people taking the Second Amendment away, and proposing your own ideas to take the Second Amendment away, without one or all of the above being true.
    I'll bet on this one:

There is no spoon.

Or maybe what he is doing is going way over all of our heads, but in the end, I will win the bet.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Not for nothing but the OP is the Washington Compost piece who have not been quite favorable to Trump and have made up things in the past about him.

I have looked really hard to see if Trump made those comments and I cannot find anywhere where he praised them on this gun bill.

Not a word on his Twitter account: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

Or maybe what he is doing is going way over all of our heads, but in the end, I will win the bet.
    Just for you, d.

I fear that I am giving you ideas here....but the only way any of this is way over all of our heads is if Trump, and all of these various legislators, are attempting to be so transparently flip floppy ridiculous that people start to realize that their actions are nothing more than words on paper and, en masse, simply start ignoring dumb laws altogether. I'm not betting on that one but it's all I can come up with.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-08-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

No doubt.

By shooting off his mouth and saying, well hell, what has been saying for decades, he has set the gun rights effort back decades.

And that's a discouraging sign, since those are the only rights anybody seems willing to even try to stand up for.

His reckless and irresponsible comments in favor of gun control (that's giving him the benefit of the doubt that I don't believe for one second he deserves, btw) have done way more than just embolden the pernicious scum pushing victim disarmament. It's given them something far more powerful and dangerous, a concrete reason for hope, which they've mostly lacked for at least a decade now.

This could be very, VERY bad. I hope I'm just being paranoid, but I've seen this $#@! go down before. Last time we almost lost it all. We may not be so lucky this time.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'll bet on this one:

Me too.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Just for you, d.

I fear that I am giving you ideas here....but the only way any of this is way over all of our heads is if Trump, and all of these various legislators, are attempting to be so transparently flip floppy ridiculous that people start to realize that their actions are nothing more than words on paper and, en masse, simply start ignoring dumb laws altogether. I'm not betting on that one but it's all I can come up with.

Personally, I wish he WOULD stop believin'. This place would immediately become at least 50% less monotonous. All the Trump pumping gets boring and tiresome after a while.
    Chris

That's just like, your opinion, man..
    No it is not actually, it is fact. As a professional firearms lobbyist and resident of Florida I was involved in this and had firsthand information at what was happening.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast