Thread: Trade is good, tariffs are bad:

Trade is good, tariffs are bad:

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump's goal is to reduce tariffs, you just have to look at the other side of the equation.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Trump's goal is to reduce tariffs, you just have to look at the other side of the equation.
    +rep exactly

If we want to reduce tariffs, we have to increase them. It's the only way
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

He has a funny way of going about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He has a funny way of going about it.
    Not more funny than your way of supporting the goals of this site.

Reminds me of that part in Starsky and Hutch (the movie they made based off the show) where Hutch is undercover and the sergeant asks him why he hasn't made any arrests and he says, "How can I arrest them, they'll know I'm a cop."
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Trade is good, tariffs are bad:

We've been trading like crazy for the last few decades. Just look what a great shape we are all in.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    We've been trading like crazy for the last few decades. Just look what a great shape we are all in.
    Yes. It has nothing to do with the myriad laws, taxes, regulations and wholesale debasement of a currency to fund entitled generations in perpetuity.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If we want to reduce tariffs, we have to increase them. It's the only way
    This makes zero sense.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I am all for free trade . You guys let me know when that happens . Until then , meh .

Not more funny than your way of supporting the goals of this site.
    Zippy is fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    This makes zero sense.
    No, it makes perfect sense. If Trump just went to other countries and asked them nicely to lower their tariffs, they would tell him to kick rocks. Now Trump has some ammo. They will lower their tariffs, and we will pay less tariffs.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

No, it makes perfect sense. If Trump just went to other countries and asked them nicely to lower their tariffs, they would tell him to kick rocks. Now Trump has some ammo. They will lower their tariffs, and we will pay less tariffs.
    For a bunch of "libertarians", there are precious few people here who have even this modest measure of business sense. US trade reps were so desperate to make deals, that every counterparty knew up front they could drive the hardest possible terms, that favored them the most. And here we are, locked in a web of extremely bad deals that narrowly privatize the benefits and socialize the costs.

Our determination to "free trade" at all costs means we pay the highest possible cost for it and nobody else has incentive to reciprocate.

Stossel's full of $#@!. NAFTA destroyed the furniture manufacturing in my part of the woods. Destroyed it. Wiped out the middle class. Period. $#@! Stossel.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    For a bunch of "libertarians", there are precious few people here who have even this modest measure of business sense. US trade reps were so desperate to make deals, that every counterparty knew up front they could drive the hardest possible terms, that favored them the most. And here we are, locked in a web of extremely bad deals that narrowly privatize the benefits and socialize the costs.

Our determination to "free trade" at all costs means we pay the highest possible cost for it and nobody else has incentive to reciprocate.
    And yet the stupid schmucks are convinced they are the smartest guys in the room and are unable to realize they have been conned.

And yet the stupid schmucks are convinced they are the smartest guys in the room and are unable to realize they have been conned.
    What really blows my mind is that our trade deals are on such unbelievably and universally bad terms that any person with any business experience - by which I mean actually making deals, not merely working in a business - should be shocked.

And this tells me that none of the ninny crowd here has any actual business experience. What kind of libertarian has so little entrepreneurial spirit as to be that unfamiliar with negotiating a business arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Stossel's full of $#@!. NAFTA destroyed the furniture manufacturing in my part of the woods. Destroyed it. Wiped out the middle class. Period. $#@! Stossel.
    Well and we know that wasn't because of free trade, that was because of a government managed economy and government managed currency combined with bad government managed trade deals. Stossel is mostly right that free trade is good, but if you setup the wrong combination of factors you can make some serious inorganic shifts in the economy that hurt some people.

But they are doing fine now because of all that extra money they have by saving money on Chinese made furniture...right?

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    America laughs but fake news is like a spec of dirt in your eye, if you're not careful it can get infected and you could go blind.
    I don't know what that means.

But it made it cheaper to buy goods with your welfare stipends.
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

That's not really Trump's job.

And as long as he doesn't actually raise or create tariffs.

But he should also not use the bully pulpit to spread economic ignorance either. Many people ignorantly think that tariffs are good thing and Trump is fueling these delusions by his rhetoric.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NAFTA was a bad deal. Has Ron has said, "why does a free trade deal need 27,000 pages?"

That being said, being specialized is key to having good opportunity, but so is being versatile. The economy is not static.

Thumbs up

Well and we know that wasn't because of free trade, that was because of a government managed economy and government managed currency combined with bad government managed trade deals. Stossel is mostly right that free trade is good, but if you setup the wrong combination of factors you can make some serious inorganic shifts in the economy that hurt some people.
    Now you're starting to make sense again.

Thumbs down

Guess you were wrong:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/u...ouncement.html