Thread: Study: Bacon Linked To Causing Cancer

Study: Bacon Linked To Causing Cancer

Study: Bacon Linked To Causing Cancer

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — For many people, bacon is likened to a gift from above. However, the popular breakfast food, delicious as it may be, has been linked to causing various types of cancer.

Researchers from the International Agency for Research on Cancer say that bacon acts as a bit of a double whammy in that it is both a red meat and a processed meat.

In a question-and-answer session, a committee of scientists from The World Health Organization explained how exactly red and processed meats are carcinogens.

“According to the most recent estimates by the Global Burden of Disease Project, an independent academic research organization, about 34,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide are attributable to diets high in processed meat,” scientists said, adding that “diets high in red meat could be responsible for 50,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide”.

There is a correlation that both types of meat, red and processed, can increase the risk of colorectal, pancreatic, stomach, and prostate cancer to varying degrees. However, evidence of this is still not conclusive.

Recently, a study published in the European Journal of Cancer showed that eating processed meats like bacon could cause an increase in the risk of breast cancer. The National Health Service explained in further depth what the research meant and how it could be best understood.

There is a correlation that both types of meat, red and processed, can increase the risk of colorectal, pancreatic, stomach, and prostate cancer to varying degrees. However, evidence of this is still not conclusive.

Recently, a study published in the European Journal of Cancer showed that eating processed meats like bacon could cause an increase in the risk of breast cancer. The National Health Service explained in further depth what the research meant and how it could be best understood.

In spite of this research, don’t fret over giving up your beloved bacon just yet. The WHO recommends that a limitation on a red meat and processed meat can be very beneficial in avoiding increased risks of cancer.
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-cause-cancer/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've seen many more old ranchers than cancer researchers.....

Just sayin'..........

Almost anything "causes cancer", the way to fight cancer is not to avoid all the perfectly good things that "cause" it but to boost the body's immune and repair functions that are responsible for fighting it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

“diets high in red meat could be responsible for 50,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide”.
    55.3 million die from other causes a year. http://www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/

In spite of this research, don’t fret over giving up your beloved bacon just yet.
    Correlation is not necessarily causation. But everything in moderation.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.

I'm guessing it's either a flawed study, or it is something in the bacon like sodium nitrates or GMO soy feed, hormones, etc..

I tend to get nitrate free bacon cured with celery salt.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm guessing it's either a flawed study, or it is something in the bacon like sodium nitrates or GMO soy feed, hormones, etc..

I tend to get nitrate free bacon cured with celery salt.
    Nitrates are good for your circulation.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Nitrates are good for your circulation.
    Celery salt has the 'natural' version that some people claim is healthier.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Celery salt has the 'natural' version that some people claim is healthier.
    Not necessarily. If you consume celery, it is better because it includes other nutrients to offset it. Celery salt, not so much.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/f...ffd2975d6.html

The curious case of the great celery powder scam

Nitrites are bad, right? Or is it nitrates?

Both are, sort of. So to be safe, a lot of people who pride themselves on looking at labels and eating healthful foods have moved to buying bacon and other cured meats that are made without nitrates.

Ah, but the joke is on them. They may be looking at labels, but they are not looking closely enough.

Bear with me, though, because this gets confusing. Sorry.

In the 1970s, scientists discovered that compounds called nitrosamines can cause cancer in a variety of animals. Because the problem was evident in so many species of animals, the assumption was that they could cause cancer in humans, too.

Subsequent studies have shown a possible link between human cancer and nitrosamines, but nothing has yet been definitively proven.

Nitrosamines are generally found in humans when we eat food with sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite in it — they are formed when nitrates or nitrites come into contact with our gastric juices. Sodium nitrate is found naturally in many vegetables; it can also be dug out of a mine. Sodium nitrite can be created in a laboratory, but it also forms when sodium nitrate reacts with saliva.

So it’s simple, right? To minimize your risk of getting stomach, colon or pancreatic cancers, simply stay away from sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite.

But sodium nitrite is generally a good thing. It makes a wonderfully effective preservative, and it keeps away pesky bacteria like the one that causes botulism. More to the point, that great taste that is a part of bacon and hot dogs and other cured meats actually comes from sodium nitrite.

And remember, sodium nitrate occurs naturally in things like spinach. And carrots. And radishes. And beets. And celery.

No one has ever suggested these healthful vegetables give you cancer, right? How can they be loaded with sodium nitrate and not be harmful?

The answer is that these vegetables with sodium nitrate also have ascorbic acid (vitamin C), which helps to inhibit the creation of nitrosamines. Although a link between nitrosamines and cancer in humans has not been absolutely established, studies have shown that it is likely enough that the USDA now requires vitamin C or vitamin E to be added to bacon to counteract the potential effects of the nitrates and nitrites.

Which brings us back to those trendy packages of uncured bacon made without nitrates or nitrites. It is safe to bet that a lot of the people who buy them, and feel good about themselves for doing so, fail to notice the asterisk.

The asterisk comes after the phrase “no nitrates or nitrites added,” and here is what the small print says somewhere else on the label: “except for those naturally occurring nitrates and nitrites in celery powder” or sea salt or the like.

Celery powder, which is the powdered form of celery juice, sounds like a good thing. It’s natural. Celery is good for you. Adding it can only improve your health.

Except it doesn’t. Celery powder is positively loaded with sodium nitrate. Depending on the soil and conditions in which the celery was grown, celery powder can actually add more sodium nitrate to bacon than the meat-packers do when they add pure sodium nitrate.

And because the celery powder is technically considered a flavoring agent instead of a preservative, which is what it is being used for, the uncured bacon does not have to have the vitamin C or vitamin E added to it.

So obviously, the smart thing to do is to stay away from uncured bacon. Which would be a fine idea, except that it tastes so good.

As is the case with most things, a little bit is not going to kill you. You can continue to enjoy your bacon, whether it is cured or uncured, if you don’t eat too much of it.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-02-2018 at 10:42 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I will be having turkey " bacon " and hash browns with red & green bell peppers and onion in the morning . I looked in the fridge , out of real stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Not necessarily. If you consume celery, it is better because it includes other nutrients to offset it. Celery salt, not so much.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/f...ffd2975d6.html
    Wow, this is a real problem, we need to warn people to drink orange juice for breakfast to offset it. I would recommend calling your local diner and ask them to put orange juice on the menu right away. Does Denny's have orange juice on their menu? I know they serve a lot of bacon..

Onions also have vitamin C.

loveshiscountry

If that's all they can come up with it still wont stop me from eating bacon.

There are three sciences you should always be skeptical about. Climate, food, and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I've seen many more old ranchers than cancer researchers.....

Just sayin'..........
    Haha! Observation bias!

Wow, this is a real problem, we need to warn people to drink orange juice for breakfast to offset it. I would recommend calling your local diner and ask them to put orange juice on the menu right away. Does Denny's have orange juice on their menu? I know they serve a lot of bacon..

Onions also have vitamin C.
    We should pass a law that requires orange juice and onions with every order of bacon. Package them like a lunchable... in BPA free plastic, of course!