Thread: What do you think of the old phrase "Freedom for me, but not for thee."Is it getting obsolete?

Default What do you think of the old phrase "Freedom for me, but not for thee."Is it getting obsolete?

I read this awhile back. My understanding is that people want freedom for themselves, but not others. It seems any more however, that people don't even trust themselves with their own freedom. I hear it all the time on this forum: Freedom is not popular. So, is trusting oneself to practice freedom not even popular among the petty Americans who demand more and more statutory code?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It has been expressed other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rogers
    Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.
    Nobody cares about losing the liberty to do what they don't want to do. If a law were being debated against eating glass, how many would protest to protect the right of the minority to do it?

It is illegal to wrestle bears in Alabama...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I read this awhile back. My understanding is that people want freedom for themselves, but not others. It seems any more however, that people don't even trust themselves with their own freedom. I hear it all the time on this forum: Freedom is not popular. So, is trusting oneself to practice freedom not even popular among the petty Americans who demand more and more statutory code?
    I feel like many people here are very hypocritical when it comes to this. Everyone here wants freedom for the poor, the middle class and they hate the special perks that government officials get. But hardly anyone here gives a crap about the most productive citizens in the private sector. Everyone protests police brutality but you won't find too many arguments against progressive taxation, discrimination laws, antitrust laws, etc. It really bugs me because if we did the same thing to other minorities, every post would be screaming about it. Imagine if we had special laws for black people where we made up the law after the "crime" was committed (antitrust). Or if we taxed latinos at a higher rate than whites (progressive).