Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stocks Fall as Trump Announces Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum

Stocks Fall as Trump Announces Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/mark...-just-did.html

President Donald Trump's plan to slap tariffs on foreign aluminum and steel could help U.S. producers, but it could also fuel inflation, slow the economy and trigger other retaliatory actions against U.S. industries, analysts said.

These fears weighed on stocks and the market sold off sharply after initially flip flopping amid confusion over whether there would be an announcement or not. But stocks sold off sharply when Trump surprised the markets and announced a 25 percent tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum.

"One of the largest fears we have is we've got tariffs. We could have trade wars and it could blow up NAFTA negotiations and nobody wins a trade war," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at B. Riley FBR.

The Dow was down more than 500 points and the S&P 500 slid well below the key 2,700 level. The move was viewed as one of the most protectionist actions from the Trump administration, and it is one of his policies that has most worried markets, even as stocks have rallied on tax reform and his other pro-growth policies.

"Tariffs would probably have the unfortunate affect of both slowing growth and accelerating inflation, and that's not a good thing," said Ward McCarthy, chief financial economist at Jefferies. "For this economy, this is the worst possible time to be doing that."

While strategists said the possible tariffs on steel and aluminum did not signal a full-blown trade war, they could have the affect of creating trade skirmishes that could accelerate.

Dana Peterson, a Citigroup economist, said the use of tariffs for national security reasons is a centerpiece of Trump's trade policy and the use takes trade disputes into a new territory. "It certainly opens the door for other countries to claim the same thing," she said. "That's when trade wars begin."

The tariffs could result in higher prices for consumers on things like automobiles, as manufacturers pass on the higher costs of raw materials from abroad.

"It's going to take time to rebuild these industries," Peterson said. "You just can't reopen a smelting factory, especially if it was closed for years. It's going to cost something. You're going to have to hire people, pay them a competitive wage...it could be inflationary."
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zippy... Was this a 1000 point drop... a 700 point dip/correction ...or a mild 300 to 400 point reaction?

Bitcoin went up to 20 grand and then dropped to just $10,ooo.oo

Herbert Hoover in his day slapped on high tariffs and triggered a tariff war.

American Steel, $#@! yea!

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Over reaction..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The tariffs could result in higher prices for consumers on things like automobiles, as manufacturers pass on the higher costs of raw materials from abroad.

"It's going to take time to rebuild these industries," Peterson said. "You just can't reopen a smelting factory, especially if it was closed for years. It's going to cost something. You're going to have to hire people, pay them a competitive wage...it could be inflationary."
    So, Zippy. Are you posting this because Trump allegedly shook Wall Street, because you don't think Americans should work producing steel or aluminum, or because you want something to blame future inflation on besides the Fed's policy of, 'We make money the old fashioned way--we print it!'

Heh, not mine. I'm up 9.6% on my steel related positions I bought a couple weeks back when Trump started talking about infrastructure and tariffs.

Dow at 24, 584 . Gold 1320 . Next two months will tell on stocks , I would guess if they have not gained back losses by then not too likely to this yr . West Texas Light Sweet closed yesterday down about 2 1/4 percent to 61 and change , Brent Crude under 66 , one yr oil forecast was then still about 70 . Wholesale gasoline @ 1.76 . Copper 3.11 .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What I find curious is everyone is talking about the market in relation to the tariff announcement, and completely ignoring the report that showed consumer spending down for the month of January that just came out.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    What I find curious is everyone is talking about the market in relation to the tariff announcement, and completely ignoring the report that showed consumer spending down for the month of January that just came out.
    Commerce Dept said it was up .2 percent . I really do not know what expectations are but probably anything above zero is OK with most since Christmas spending in Nov & Dec only made increases of .8 and .4 ?

There was 2 1/2 percent growth last quarter last yr . May not get there first quarter this yr . Same stagnated growth that has been since the crash . Income up a percent with tax cuts. March spending numbers just got important . I would not expect Feb to impress .

Any excuse to explain away why imported goods will go way up in price as the petrodollar winds down. All Trump's handiwork, of course. It's times like these, rare in history, when it becomes obvious that "opposing" country's political leaders actually work together, a la UN/G20/etc. China will no doubt "respond" to this affront. Never mind that it's China that will eventually benefit the most from the petrodollar standard ending.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-01-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

announced a 25 percent tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum.
    Is this tariff high enough to bring these jobs back to America?

Maybe a higher tariff would be better, 80%?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

the report that showed consumer spending down for the month of January that just came out.
    Fake news.. Consumer spending is great, everyone says so
    - Kim Kardashian

Spending on what? Durable goods? Food? I don't have the numbers in front of me. :/ The way ya weight these figures makes a difference. Pretty interesting, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Details not released yet like if it will cover all steel/ aluminum imports or just certain countries- more info expected. Canada provides the US with 20% of our steel while China (the supposed target of "unfair trade" by Trump) only provides us with two percent. Canada, Europe, China, and Mexico threaten retaliation if they do go into effect. It will raise costs and cost jobs at industries which use steel and aluminum like manufacturing, construction, and automobiles. Helping one industry will hurt others and be a net negative on the US economy.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Spending on what? Durable goods? Food? I don't have the numbers in front of me. :/ The way ya weight these figures makes a difference. Pretty interesting, eh?
    Drop wasn't much. It fell in January last year too but was up the rest of the year. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/us-p...-jan-2018.html

When adjusted for inflation, consumer spending fell 0.1 percent, declining for the first time since January 2017. The so-called real consumer spending rose 0.2 percent in December. The drop in real consumer spending in January suggests consumption will slow from the fourth-quarter's robust 3.8 percent annualized pace.

It was also the latest indication that economic growth moderated at the start of the year after a 2.5 percent rate of expansion in the fourth quarter. Industrial production, home sales and core capital goods orders fell in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Details not released yet like if it will cover all steel/ aluminum imports or just certain countries- more info expected. Canada provides the US with 20% of our steel while China (the supposed target of "unfair trade" by Trump) only provides us with two percent. Canada, Europe, China, and Mexico threaten retaliation if they do go into effect. It will raise costs and cost jobs at industries which use steel and aluminum like manufacturing, construction, and automobiles. Helping one industry will hurt others and be a net negative on the US economy.
    Did Trump make an economic argument in favor of the tariffs? citation of him making that claim. when I heard him announce it, he spoke of tariffs in the interest of national security. As in, if we have no domestic ability to produce the metals, it would put us at the mercy of potential enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Did Trump make an economic argument in favor of the tariffs? citation of him making that claim. when I heard him announce it, he spoke of tariffs in the interest of national security. As in, if we have no domestic ability to produce the metals, it would put us at the mercy of potential enemies.
    One tweet on the subject from today:

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-01-2018 at 07:14 PM.

One tweet on the subject:

And where does that Tweet say that tariffs will improve the overall economy? When he announced the idea of the tariffs he specifically said he was worried about completely losing those industries for national security reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    One tweet on the subject from today:

Or to put it another way: No.

Why is it, in liberal-land, when unions raise costs it's a great thing, but when American materials raise costs it's horrific?

I would not use any chinese metals . None . Lowest quality available and unsafe .

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Is this tariff high enough to bring these jobs back to America?

Maybe a higher tariff would be better, 80%?
    I have been doing my part . Make sure you get out there and buy something .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why stop at aluminum & steel?

We should be putting tariffs on all manufacturing! Cars, computers, those toys they put in happy meals, etc
    - Kim Kardashian

Why stop at aluminum & steel?

We should be putting tariffs on all manufacturing! Cars, computers, those toys they put in happy meals, etc
    Happy Meal toys absolutely .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have been doing my part . Make sure you get out there and buy something .
    Bought myself one of those coolers with built-in speakers in it, made in America

Been saving up for 3-4 months for it, finally got it
    - Kim Kardashian

My guess is that he’ll reverse on this before it happens. Might be a good time to get some Boeing or Caterpillar stock on the cheap.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Bought myself one of those coolers with built-in speakers in it, made in America

Been saving up for 3-4 months for it, finally got it
    Hope it has wheels . Mine does . Makes it easier for the Mrs to pull .

It's a complex issue.

For Alan Greenspan and the Federal Reserve, a US tariff might expose their pyramid scheme, or make it crumble entirely. A tariff must be fought to the death (of the people calling for a tariff). This will be the establishment position.

For a pure free-trade advocate, you don't want any tariffs at all. Most will oppose it on principle, because it is a tariff that is theoretically under their control. The hope is that other trading partners will drop their tariffs and other hinderances to free trade in return.

But what to do when the trading partners do not reciprocate? This is the issue of "fair trade".

Here is one analogy for fair trade. Imagine the following impossible scenario:

- You and the Federal government are equals.
    - The Federal government imposes a tax upon you.
    - You don't believe in taxes, so you don't impose any taxes on the Federal government.
    - Any time you want, you could impose an equivalent reciprocal tax on the Federal government. Do you ever do it?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast