Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump about to push hard for gun control:

Thumbs down Trump about to push hard for gun control:

"Take the guns first. Do due process second" - President Trump 2/28/18

Looks like Trump is pushing hard for gun control:

Today he -

* Vowed to impose a ban on bump stocks by Executive Order

* Wants to put a raft of gun control proposals into the "Fix NICS" bill

* Endorsed the Obama-era proposal to mandate background checks on ALL gun sales, even between private parties

* Taunted Republicans for not banning gun sales to people between 18-21

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...s-package.html
    Last edited by Matt Collins; 02-28-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will he get a hernia?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Banning assault weapons just criminalizes the owners

Q: You said there might be a role in restricting guns from terrorists or the mentally ill; but there have been specific proposals debated in the Senate, which it sounds like you reject-

JOHNSON: Well, nothing has come through Congress.

Q: So, do you have a view on what might work?

JOHNSON: No, I don't.

Q: What about assault-style weapons? Is there a constitutional right to that?

JOHNSON: Well, assault-style weapons, meaning semi-automatic-style rifles, you are talking about 30 million weapons, and if you do that, I daresay half the owners of those weapons are not going to turn them in, and now you're going to criminalize the ownership of those weapons.

Q: So, it sounds to me like you're saying, in theory, 'Sure,' but in fact there's no proposal that would meet your test. If there was something that would work.

JOHNSON: I don't want to for a second say that there might not be that proposal tomorrow.

Source: Washington Post joint interview of Johnson & Weld , Jul 7, 2016

Keep guns away from mentally ill & potential terrorists

Q: You said America would be safer if it was easier to buy guns and if more people carried them, especially out in public. [In light of] last week's worst mass shooting in our nation's history, how would making it easier to buy guns with minimum requirements, especially unnecessary military rifles, how is that making it easier for us?JOHNSON: I don't think our position would be making it easier. We're not looking to roll back anything. But with regard to keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, with regard to keeping guns out of the hands of potential terrorists--Bill talked about establishing a thousand-person taskforce to potentially address that, a hot line. Look, we should be open to these discussions.

Q: And on the Orlando mass shooting?

JOHNSON: Look, the FBI came in contact with this guy three times. What transpired? Why wasn't this guy deprived of his guns?

Source: CNN Libertarian Town Hall: joint interview of Johnson & Weld , Jun 22, 2016

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Gary...un_Control.htm

Doesn't sound like he was too far off from Trump

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Gary...un_Control.htm

Doesn't sound like he was too far off from Trump

$#@!ing seriously? "He did it too"? SMGDH
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    $#@!ing seriously? "He did it too"? SMGDH
    Huh? What did he do?

Huh? What did he do?
    I think he is expressing outrage that Johnson pushed for gun control.

Whether or not any gun control happens at the federal level I'm glad I didn't vote for Trump or Johnson. (and I'm still glad Trump won instead of Hitlery)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXKD9K0UMAAm_Ve.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	5951
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

AP Images
    @AP_Images
    Worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles and some wearing bullet crowns, participated in a commitment ceremony today at World Peace and Unification Sanctuary, in Newfoundland, Pa.
    The event led a nearby school to cancel classes for the day.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXJc0InWAAIh6Yr.jpg:large
    Last edited by goldenequity; 02-28-2018 at 06:08 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXKD9K0UMAAm_Ve.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	5951
    Pretty much sums up the left

I believe the popular Trumpsplanation is that Trump is just calling the dems bluff and they won't actually vote for anything.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I believe the popular Trumpsplanation is that Trump is just calling the dems bluff and they won't actually vote for anything.
    That and Hillary would have troops going door to door by now.

Trump just endorsed Feinstein's Assault Weapons Ban, Trumpsplain that.

“Dianne if you could add what you have also – and I think you can — into the bill,” Trump then suggested.

Well, as it turns out what Feinstein has is a ban assault weapons — a proposal that is anathema to Republican lawmakers and the NRA.

Feinstein’s response was positively giddy, and the Democrat pointed at Manchin and joked “Joe are you ready?”

“Joe can you do that?” Trump asked. “Can you add some of the things. I’ll help. Can you add what Amy and what Dianne have?”

“I’m going to say this,” Trump continued. “We’re going to get it passed.”

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA), himself the victim of gun violence last year, next proposed a measure allowing concealed-carry permits to cross state lines — which Trump promptly dismissed.

“You’ll never get this passed if you add concealed carry to this,” the Republican president said.
    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-di...t-weapons-ban/
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    If he pushes as hard as he can but Congress doesn't pass it we'll still hear that he secretly wanted it to fail.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    If he pushes as hard as he can but Congress doesn't pass it we'll still hear that he secretly wanted it to fail.
    So throwing as much toxic $#@! into the bill so it doesn't get passed gets him no credit?

So throwing as much toxic $#@! into the bill so it doesn't get passed gets him no credit?
    I think this is the closest to Trumps position on guns is toxic $#@! as I can get from dannno so I'll take it.

I suspect that might be his tactic and NO IT GETS HIM NO CREDIT.

I think he wants to bait the Dems into running on gun control in the mid-terms because it will be bad for them and that GETS HIM NO CREDIT EITHER.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

I think he wants to bait the Dems into running on gun control in the mid-terms because it will be bad for them and that GETS HIM NO CREDIT EITHER.
    What if they win on gun control because they think that they have a president that will pass it if they get the seats? that GETS HIM NO CREDIT EITHER?

What if you are only goal oriented?

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    What if they win on gun control because they think that they have a president that will pass it if they get the seats? that GETS HIM NO CREDIT EITHER?

They won't win and your comment makes no sense.

I condemn his actions on this no matter the outcome.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What if you are only goal oriented?
    Principles exist because of unintended consequences, Trump's behavior will produce bad results in many ways even if he is secretly playing pragmatic games.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They won't win and your comment makes no sense.

I condemn his actions on this no matter the outcome.
    Remember when the fake conservatives did all that political theater to repeal ACA but the president wouldn't sign the bill? You think the PRO second ammendment conservatives are going to out vote the anti gun liberals when conservatives don't even think that the president will even cut any spending or get rid of the ACA? Do you think the liberals will be able to get people out to vote because they think that the president would pass gun control?

Principles exist because of unintended consequences, Trump's behavior will produce bad results in many ways even if he is secretly playing pragmatic games.
    Compared to what? And I don't even mean Hillary (cuz I know that's what some of you are thinking..)

Lol
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Compared to what? And I don't even mean Hillary (cuz I know that's what some of you are thinking..)
    Compared to if he did the right thing.

See how simple that is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Hello President Winfrey.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    AP Images
    @AP_Images
    Worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles and some wearing bullet crowns, participated in a commitment ceremony today at World Peace and Unification Sanctuary, in Newfoundland, Pa.
    The event led a nearby school to cancel classes for the day.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXJc0InWAAIh6Yr.jpg:large
    Moonies.

1st amendment and 2nd amendment.

The right to free exercise..

unless you are not.

and now it takes a doctors note.

oh,, and BTW,, it was a whole room full of AR15s and nobody got shot.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-28-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Well, I'm done.

I had been willing to give the benefit of doubt.

Not anymore.

And this is no surprise of course, Dump has been in favor of gun bans and gun control for decades, and has said so on numerous occasions, in numerous venues.

This time there will be no "sunset" clause either.

This ban will be permanent.

Just like ObamaCare.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Remember when the fake conservatives did all that political theater to repeal ACA but the president wouldn't sign the bill? You think the PRO second ammendment conservatives are going to out vote the anti gun liberals when conservatives don't even think that the president will even cut any spending or get rid of the ACA? Do you think the liberals will be able to get people out to vote because they think that the president would pass gun control?
    They will turn out to keep Congress out of ant-gunner hands so Dump never gets a bill to sign, gun control is always a losing issue for dems because their people don't care about it as much as the 2nd amendment voters do.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast