Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick's, and subsidiary Field & Stream, make their gun stance known.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dick's, and subsidiary Field & Stream, make their gun stance known.

I will be taking all my sporting needs business elsewhere.

Retail giant Dick’s Sporting Goods announced Wednesday that it will no longer sell assault-style rifles, as well as any guns to anyone under age 21 in the wake of the Florida school massacre.
    Dick’s is calling on politicians to enact what it calls “common sense gun reform’’ by passing laws to raise the minimum age to buy guns to 21, to ban assault-type weapons and so-called bump stocks, and to conduct tighter background checks.

The retailer said all AR-15s and other semiautomatic rifles would be removed from its stores and websites.

Stack said the company remains a strong backer of the Second Amendment and will continue to sell a variety of sport and hunting firearms.
    https://nypost.com/2018/02/28/dicks-...style-weapons/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This illusion of security is going to make us all disarm, just like this illusion of financial security has caused us to think that capitalism doesn't work- that the money isn't real. I saw someone defending FRN because if the bank gets robbed your money is safe. The whole point of FRN is your money is not safe and if the bank gets robbed we bail out the banks.

Ordinarily I'd say this is a response to the anti-gun media onslaught and the fear at Dick's that it will adversely affect their business if they don't go along to get along, the media having created the semblence of massive popular support for "common sense" laws. But that can't be it since one of the great positives of a Trump presidency has been his destruction of the credibility of the msm. And I know that's true cause I read it here frequently.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Ordinarily I'd say this is a response to the anti-gun media onslaught and the fear at Dick's that it will adversely affect their business if they don't go along to get along, the media having created the semblence of massive popular support for "common sense" laws. But that can't be it since one of the great positives of a Trump presidency has been his destruction of the credibility of the msm. And I know that's true cause I read it here frequently.
    Bill Kristol: "Whatever One Thinks About Donald Trump, His Accomplishments Are "Pretty Impressive"

Bill Kristol: 'We Beat Back Ron Paul and Rand Paul'

We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
    Because of the elasticity of their skin? Isn't that discrimination?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

...if even one life is saved, it will be worth it. We deeply believe that this country's greatest gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe."
    More kids have been killed playing football than have been killed in school mass shooting events.

I anxiously await the announcement from Dick's Sporting Goods that all sales of helmets, pads, guards and footballs has been ceased.

Schools safer than in the 90s

We had no idea this many kids died playing high school football
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-28-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    More kids have been killed playing football than have been killed in school mass shooting events.

I anxiously await the announcement from Dick's Sporting Goods that all sales of helmets, pads, guards and footballs has been ceased.

Schools safer than in the 90s

We had no idea this many kids died playing high school football
    Good point! Also, lost in all the F.U.D., is the fact that the average age of a mass shooter (four or more victims) is 35.

///
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-28-2018 at 09:37 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Buh-bye Dick's. Bad business deal.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

If gun owners and 2nd Amendment advocates do to Dick's what they did to Smith & Wesson back in the 90s because of their deal with the Clinton administration. This could be reversed in a hurry. I'm not holding my breath waiting.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I bought my last gun at Dicks. My next purchase (which I just started the long process) will not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I bought my last gun at Dicks. My next purchase (which I just started the long process) will not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You certainly don't need an assault rifle for home defense.

Besides, the 2nd amendment wasn't intended for home defense. (it's for hunting and Olympic sport shooting)
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

Besides, the 2nd amendment wasn't intended for home defense. (it's for hunting and Olympic sport shooting)

And well regulated militias, where the arms are stored in government armories.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Good for them.

Calling assault rifles a "modern sporting rifle" is a weak attempt to suggest these rifles are suitable for hunting (and thus protected under 2nd)
    They are an arm of resistance to tyranny, and absolutely protected under the 2nd.

Who is qualified to determine need for another? The Oligarchy and upper crust with armed details protecting their every move?
    I'll need whatever the $#@! I want...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Not a big deal. Demand for these rifles is high, so the supply will simply shift to other sellers. Hopefully this increases the volume of rifles sold by the remaining sellers, and lowers prices.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I've never bought a gun at Dicks but I spend about $300-$400 a year there on sporting equipment (baseball, softball, football, basketball) for my kids. No more. I will not be spending another dime in that store.

Who needs 'em.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Dammit! I already boycott those bastages from 2012... I can't cause them any further pain.
    Academy Sports rocks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

They won't get a dollar from me.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Walmart Hikes Age Requirement For Firearm Purchases To 21

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-28/walmart-hikes-age-requirement-firearm-purchases-21
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles.
    Good for them.

Calling assault rifles a "modern sporting rifle" is a weak attempt to suggest these rifles are suitable for hunting (and thus protected under 2nd)
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I do not shop there . Nor will I . As a great American Patriot I am always here to help . I will store Assault rifles for anyone who is bothered by owning them .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

So they realize they sold a gun to a mass killer and want to do something about it. Clearly they deserve to be put out of business and they're employees lose their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    So they realize they sold a gun to a mass killer and want to do something about it. Clearly they deserve to be put out of business and they're employees lose their jobs.
    Bad business is bad business.

They want to preempt an unconstitutional Congress and President in helping promote an authoritarian policy? $#@! em.

Anyone dumb enough to still be holding stock in Dick's deserves what they get.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they not going to continue selling "modern hunting rifles" at Field & Stream which is under the same corporate umbrella and often in the same building.

How quickly they forget that the good samaritan who chased down the Sutherland Springs church shooter last year was armed with an 'assault rifle' and if he'd had, oh, say, a black powder rifle or a handgun trying to take those shots, his story would have been much less interesting and probably a lot shorter.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I always though of Dicks sporting goods is like the Toys-r-us of the sporting goods industry. It's mostly medium to low end equipment and clothing. If you are seriously into outdoor sports, REI, Cabalas, Bass Pro, and even Sierra Trading post has better gear and equipment at more competitive prices.

The closest Dicks to me doesn't even sell ammo, and never has since it opened. Kinda useless store for me, even when they use .22lr ammo sales as a loss-leader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast